PDA

View Full Version : Planar handbook questions

razorback
2020-12-12, 09:53 AM
So, working on something else entirely, I pulled out my Planar Handbook last night so I could look up the stats this morning for a Ramshammer for something I was working on.

The first thing that caught my eye is the Kyton.
1 RHD for a D8 hit die, +1 BAB, all good saves, (8+Int)x4 skill off a meh list, +2 Str & -4 Int. But, what caught my eye is that they treat them as primary natural weapons and can make 2 attacks with them.
Now, I was in discussion with another GITP member a little while ago about the Cavestalker from Drow of the Underdark. One of the things is 4th level ability.

If you already have selected two-weapon combat as a ranger combat style, then the exotic combat style provides you with the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain) feat and permits the use of a spiked chain as a one-handed weapon.

So, my question about this guy (because I always forget about the wonkiness of natural attacks and normal attacks) is - can a 7th level build (Kyton 1, Ranger 2, Cavestalker 4 which nets a BAB of +7) make a full attack of 2 primary and 1 off-hand spiked chain before making his primary natural attacks of 4 (2 and 2 at -5)? All at full strength?

The second one is the Lillend.
1 RHD for a D8 hit die, +1 BAB, all good saves, (8+Int)x4 skill off a meh list, +2 Int and +2 Cha, 20ft land and 70ft fly. But, what caught my eye is that it's large for 1 RHD.
Now, I'm not sure if the large size with reach offsets the stats of, say a Dragonborn Water Orc Barbarian 1 as a combat build or if the RHD is a better choice than the LA of something like a Goliath or Half-Giant with Powerful Build vs actual large size. If Dragon mag is allowed, you can stack on the Half-Ogre template for free for a net stat bonus of +4 strength.
Or, further wonkiness of a Primordial Half-Ogre/Lillend with a net stats of -2 Con, +4 Int, and +4 Cha. For the second level of Lillend, you gain an additional +2 Int and +2 Wis along with Bard spellcasting and Bardic Music at 1/2 your Lillend level, which I have to imagine is useful in the right builds. Some weird combo to get Factotum, Swiftblade, and Iaijutsu Master to swoop out of the sky and always go first?

Any input on how to abuse use either of these in a certain build?

Morof Stonehands
2020-12-12, 10:53 AM
According to the Planar Handbook, pg. 19 under Monster Classes and Multiclassing, it states that you have to take all levels of the monster class before going into anything else. So you couldn’t make the Kyton build as written, since you’d need to take all 14 levels before going into Ranger or Cavestalker.

As for the natural weapon spiked chains stuff I’m not entirely sure how that’d work.

razorback
2020-12-13, 11:56 AM
According to the Planar Handbook, pg. 19 under Monster Classes and Multiclassing, it states that you have to take all levels of the monster class before going into anything else. So you couldn’t make the Kyton build as written, since you’d need to take all 14 levels before going into Ranger or Cavestalker.

As for the natural weapon spiked chains stuff I’m not entirely sure how that’d work.

Good call. What I get for skimming through it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-13, 12:41 PM
You could always use the gestalt rules to make use of this.

razorback
2020-12-13, 12:53 PM
You could always use the gestalt rules to make use of this.

True, but my first thought on a Lillend wouldn't work. The chain devil might be an interesting mid-level game build for melee if he can swing 7 attacks at 6th level gestalt, coupled with some tripping goodness the way I think it might. Especially if one of the primary attacks hits and trips, the 'natural' attacks would be at a net of -1 once you figured in the +4 for prone.