PDA

View Full Version : Player Help proofread my carry combo for legality

newguydude1
2020-12-12, 01:53 PM
this combo is named "carry combo" because this combo is going to carry my character from level 5 all the way into late epic. so its a very important combo. my entire character revolves around this combo. so before i go any further i want to double check that it is in fact a legal combo.

Certain requirements must be met in order for a character to create a magic item. These include feats, spells, and miscellaneous requirements such as level, alignment, and race or kind. The prerequisites for creation of an item are given immediately following the item’s caster level.

A spell prerequisite may be provided by a character who has prepared the spell (or who knows the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard), or through the use of a spell completion or spell trigger magic item or a spell-like ability that produces the desired spell effect. For each day that passes in the creation process, the creator must expend one spell completion item or one charge from a spell trigger item if either of those objects is used to supply a prerequisite.

It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary.

If two or more characters cooperate to create an item, they must agree among themselves who will be considered the creator for the purpose of determinations where the creator’s level must be known. The character designated as the creator pays the XP required to make the item.

Typically, a list of prerequisites includes one feat and one or more spells (or some other requirement in addition to the feat).

When two spells at the end of a list are separated by "or," one of those spells is required in addition to every other spell mentioned prior to the last two.

All items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of feats and spells that the item’s creator must know, although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed. It’s perfectly acceptable for two or more characters to work together to create a magic item, with each character supplying some of the prerequisites. (In all places where this text refers to the “creator” of a magic item, it includes all characters supplying at least one prerequisite for the item’s creation.) The XP cost must always be paid by the character who supplies the item creation feat required by the item, no matter how many other characters cooperate in its creation.

ok so these are the only two places i could find that talks about multiple characters working together on an item.
so putting these two passages together
1. the xp cost must be paid by the feat provider
2. the xp provider's level is used for "creator level" i.e. golem descriptions saying "The creator must be 25th level"

other than that, anything goes.

to create a scroll you need
1. feat (scribe scroll)
2. scroll xp cost
3. gp cost for the scroll
4. spell
5. gp and xp for the spell material component
6. caster level

so the scroll creation is gonna be split into 3 parts.
me
mirror mephit
simulacrum.

i provide the feat, scroll xp (gallons of liquid pain or ambrosia), and gp cost for the scroll (1-3)
mirror mephit provides the spell (4.), and since casting his sla doesnt require any components, 5. is ignored
simulacrum provides the caster level

(the following creatures are simulacra of double hd advanced creatures. so if a creature has 8hd, i make a simulacrum of a 16hd version so when its halved its 8hd)
so
1. mirror mephit makes a simulacrum of a silit (cl 16)
2. we cooperate to create a scroll of a cl16 scroll of simulacrum.
3. i activate the scroll to create a simulacrum of a khastigur (cl 18)
4. we cooperate to create a scroll of cl18 scroll of simulacrum
5. i activate the scroll to create a simulacrum of a sorrowsworn demon (cl20)
6. we cooperate to create a scroll of cl20 scroll of simulacrum.

---epic---
7. i activate the scroll to create a simulacrum of a ha-naga
8. we cooperate to create 7 scrolls of embrace the dark chaos and 7 scrolls of shun the dark chaos (need to do this to dodge xp cost, because im pretty sure simulacra cant have xp)
9. the ha-naga activates all 14 scrolls on itself to completely switch out all of its 7 feats to
extend spell
persistent spell
dragontouched
practical metamagic:persistent spell
spell focus necromancy
metamagic school focus necromancy
extra spell: suffer the flesh
10. the ha-naga casts persistent consumptive field and persistent suffer the flesh to boost its cl to 36
11. we cooperate to create a scroll of cl36 simulacrum
12. i activate the cl36 scroll of simulacrum to create a 36hd monster which will carry me until i can get a higher caster level than 36.

i was gonna grab a solar cause he can get epic feats so i can get a persistent greater consumptive field to boost his cl to 46, but hard rule on my dm, no monsters with wish, so... unless someone here can give me an epic creature with 20th level spellcasting, ha-naga is as high as i can get (ha-naga cant get epic feats for improved metamagic).

scroll cl activation is a concern. but i think i can overcome it with consumptive field. because i dont need to persist it because i only need my cl boosted for that one standard action. also taking 10 really helps here, like a lot.

ok, lay it on me. is this combo legit?

KillianHawkeye
2020-12-12, 04:31 PM
I don't think you can use a spell-like ability to make a scroll.

Zancloufer
2020-12-12, 05:59 PM
I don't think there is anything against using an SLA to make a magic item. They don't need V, S, M, F or XP components, don't suffer from ASF (though they have no S components to start with) and can't be used to counter-spell/be counter-spelled (though IDK if that applies to a SLA Dispel Magic) but are otherwise the same as the spell they mimic, even having a CL and spell level. As such there is nothing saying can't use a SLA to make a scroll, just remember that they default to Wizard then Cleric spell version by default for spells on multiple lists.

However you don't have Epic crafting feats so this entire combo falls apart pretty quickly if you try making items with CL of 21+ before you have Epic Scribe Scroll (or any other relevant epic crafting feat). It should work fine until you have to make items with a CL of 21+ though.

newguydude1
2020-12-12, 06:30 PM
I don't think you can use a spell-like ability to make a scroll.

its in the rule quote...

A spell prerequisite may be provided by a character who has prepared the spell (or who knows the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard), or through the use of a spell completion or spell trigger magic item or a spell-like ability that produces the desired spell effect. For each day that passes in the creation process, the creator must expend one spell completion item or one charge from a spell trigger item if either of those objects is used to supply a prerequisite.

However you don't have Epic crafting feats so this entire combo falls apart pretty quickly if you try making items with CL of 21+ before you have Epic Scribe Scroll (or any other relevant epic crafting feat). It should work fine until you have to make items with a CL of 21+ though.

found it. your right. anything with cl 21 or above is an epic scroll.

ok so upto cl20 my combo is legal. from 21 and above i gotta fit in scribe epic scroll.

Silent Alarm
2020-12-12, 07:40 PM
found it. your right. anything with cl 21 or above is an epic scroll.

ok so upto cl20 my combo is legal. from 21 and above i gotta fit in scribe epic scroll.

Why not just create a Simulacrum of an Efreeti and have it grant you three wishes, and wish for a scroll with your desired specifications? Why are you spending any XP and gold on it? Use Sanctify Relic and True Believer to reduce it's cost, and NOT require any Cleric levels (since I believe you are going as a Wizard for some reason). Make it require a 7th level Cleric expending a 4th level Spell Slot and the total cost of the scroll would be reduced by 11,200gp (scroll of Simulacrum only cost 7,275 for a 10 HD creature; which the Efreeti has) making it cost 0gp, have an xp cost of 0xp to make, and have a crafting time of 0 days to make.

newguydude1
2020-12-12, 08:36 PM
Why not just create a Simulacrum of an Efreeti and have it grant you three wishes, and wish for a scroll with your desired specifications? Why are you spending any XP and gold on it? Use Sanctify Relic and True Believer to reduce it's cost, and NOT require any Cleric levels (since I believe you are going as a Wizard for some reason). Make it require a 7th level Cleric expending a 4th level Spell Slot and the total cost of the scroll would be reduced by 11,200gp (scroll of Simulacrum only cost 7,275 for a 10 HD creature; which the Efreeti has) making it cost 0gp, have an xp cost of 0xp to make, and have a crafting time of 0 days to make.

free wishes make the game pointless just like how pun pun makes the game pointless. my dm hard banned free wishes.

KillianHawkeye
2020-12-12, 09:31 PM
its in the rule quote...

Oh damn, can you link to where it says this. I can't find it.

EDIT: Ah, I found it. It's weird that it's on the "magic item basics" page and then not mentioned at all on the "creating magic items" page. :smallsigh:

Silent Alarm
2020-12-12, 09:39 PM
free wishes make the game pointless just like how pun pun makes the game pointless. my dm hard banned free wishes.
I can't help but laugh at your premise then. Free wishes are banned, but abusing the Mirror Mephit to get access to high CR monsters to use for your item creation ring is kosher? Seems like that is free wishes with extra steps. Presuming you take the advice of the Sanctify Relic and True Believer feat, you can do all of this just as freely, and just as swiftly as if you were using Wish to resolve it.

You do not need a caster level 36 scroll to make a 36 HD creature using Simulacrum. You'll need a caster level 18 to make a duplicate of the creature, at half it's HD (18) so you can more or less just cut the caster levels of the scrolls you need by half. The real killer here will be the XP cost, which doesn't actually matter since by the time the Mirror Mephit comes online, there are any number of 16HD creatures that can solve your problems via simulacrum.

If, for whatever reason he needs access to a high level spellcaster via Simulacrum, and can boost his caster level up to 35 (as detailed in your own combo), he can just create a Simulacrum of an Elder Titan, and have access to Epic Spellcasting. Have the Elder Titan research a 0 DC Epic spell with however much XP cast (it doesn't actually matter), and just use that to solve similar problems.

newguydude1
2020-12-12, 09:45 PM
I can't help but laugh at your premise then. Free wishes are banned, but abusing the Mirror Mephit to get access to high CR monsters to use for your item creation ring is kosher? Seems like that is free wishes with extra steps. Presuming you take the advice of the Sanctify Relic and True Believer feat, you can do all of this just as freely, and just as swiftly as if you were using Wish to resolve it.

our table has additional restrictions like you cant have a monster whose cr is higher than the partys ecl, and you can only have one minion, total, from planar binding, simulacrum, animate weapon, etc.

i didnt disclose this because i didnt think it was relevant. this combo lets me scale while i trade in all of my class levels using savage species major rituals to turn myself into a high la and ecl monster race without gimping my ability to adventure.

Zancloufer
2020-12-12, 09:54 PM
You do not need a caster level 36 scroll to make a 36 HD creature using Simulacrum. You'll need a caster level 18 to make a duplicate of the creature, at half it's HD (18) so you can more or less just cut the caster levels of the scrolls you need by half. The real killer here will be the XP cost, which doesn't actually matter since by the time the Mirror Mephit comes online, there are any number of 16HD creatures that can solve your problems via simulacrum.

OP does call out making a CL 36 scroll, which would need epic Crafting feats, in order to make a 36 HD Simulacrum. Not making a Simulacrum of a 36 HD monster, making a Simulacrum that is 36 HD. As Scroll CL = Simulacrum HD.

Also seconding that using Mirror Mephit to make free Simulacrum and cheese crafting requirements is probably on (almost) the same level as Efreeti free wishes.

newguydude1
2020-12-12, 10:05 PM
Also seconding that using Mirror Mephit to make free Simulacrum and cheese crafting requirements is probably on (almost) the same level as Efreeti free wishes.

That's fine, losing a lot of interest because of that hard cl20 limit.

I've been working on something else.
1. create a simulacrum of a planetar
2. create a scroll of embrace the dark chaos and shun the dark chaos through cooperation and liquid pain.
3. cast both on my mirror mephit to give it assume supernatural ability: share spells.
4. polymorph my mirror mephit into a symbiote from fiend folio
5. have my mirror mephit attach itself onto the planetar
6. the planetar casts consumptive field and greater consumptive field on my mirror mephit.
7. i use my share spells ability to cast suffer the flesh on my mirror mephit
8. i also cast adept spirit on my mirror mephit.

total cl of mirror mephit = 8 + 4 (consumptive field) + 4 (greater consumptive field) + 5 (suffer the flesh) + 1 (adept spirit) = cl22.
have it use its sla to create a 22hd simulacrum.

2hd higher than the scroll method, and a hell of a lot less downtime.

im turning myself into a succubus, thats ecl 12 (6hd + 6la) so i wont be grabbing epic scribe scroll until ecl 27 so it is a problem staying relevant until ecl 27 with 22hd simulacra that isnt solar because solars are banned. so... titan?

Silent Alarm
2020-12-12, 10:20 PM
OP does call out making a CL 36 scroll, which would need epic Crafting feats, in order to make a 36 HD Simulacrum. Not making a Simulacrum of a 36 HD monster, making a Simulacrum that is 36 HD. As Scroll CL = Simulacrum HD.

No, a Simulacrum uses the CL as the upper and lower limit. The upper limit is double the caster level of the Simulacrum
I misunderstood you. My mistake.

You can’t create a simulacrum of a creature whose Hit Dice or levels exceed twice your caster level.

Therefore, an 18th level Wizard (example), could make UP to a 36 HD creature.

That's fine, losing a lot of interest because of that hard cl20 limit.

Basically all your limitation does is limit you to finding the worst CR'd monsters in the entire game, which is hilarious.

KillianHawkeye
2020-12-12, 10:44 PM
Therefore, an 18th level Wizard (example), could make UP to a 36 HD creature.

He could make a copy of a 36 HD creature. The copy would have 18 HD.

Silent Alarm
2020-12-12, 10:46 PM
He could make a copy of a 36 HD creature. The copy would have 18 HD.

Yes, that is what I mean. I corrected myself either way. I misunderstood what Zancloufer was trying to say.