PDA

View Full Version : Prince William Fells Prince Willem-Alexander Of The Netherlands In Crucial Joust

Dhavaer
2007-11-05, 04:06 PM
I haven't read the Onion in ages, but this is win.

CHELTENHAM, ENGLAND—In a resounding display of horsemanship, lancemanship, and puissance that marked both his first major tournament success and a great victory on the international stage for the British crown, the gallant English Prince William did mightily unseat Prince Willem- Alexander of the Netherlands in combat at the Cheltenham Jousts this Sunday week.

The prince, his aspect as always noble and his armour brightly agleam, did strike his gentleman-foe the Prince of Orange with a single shivering blow to the very center of his greatshield, all glory be to God, ensuring, as well, a victory in global currency exchange.

"Alack! I am bested, and fall heavy to the ground, and must therefore renegotiate the terms of special exchange between our nations when managing debts that predate conversion to the new EU standard," quoth Willem-Alexander as he tumbled from his steed, acknowledging his opponent the better man and meeting his fate with honour. "In sooth, a rate of 1.75 euros to the pound is more than fair, with interest compounding from the date of this match forward, so mighty is the stroke that undoes me."
Enlarge Image Prince William jump

Magnanimous in victory, as befits the heir to the Throne of All England, Prince William did forsake the cries of bloodlust from the lower galleries, granting the Dutch prince the boon of his life and demanding in return only a 4.5 percent increase in durable-goods tariffs on imports from the Netherlands and her subject nations.

"Hear me, O Britain!" exclaimed His Royal Highness, whose voice was heard to peal forth from the lists as thunder from great mountain-height, ringing in every corner of that green and pleasant land, as well as on BBC Two and internationally on ESPN, garnering a nod of approval from the Queen, who gazed on regally from the royal box. "This man hath proven himself worthy of our mercy. For to fall in joust before the Crown Prince of England—the very herald of God on Earth—is no shame; nor would I call foeman any prince who hath the strength to acknowledge Jesus as his Saviour and to hold inflation to a stunningly low 1.3 percent. Therefore I spare his life, and call my noble cousin mere cousin no more, but brother, in hopes our fair nations may find brotherhood indeed."

And 'spite a fortnight full of tragic news that wicked Fate had split the comely pair, the noble Prince William did grant a victory nosegay to his former love, the beauteous Kate Middleton, who with wet and melancholy eye did the prince's gaze avoid, as befits a commoner.

"Hail to the crown prince of our fair isles, hail!" said Herald-Royal Anthony the Blair, Grand Vizier of the Realm, Prime Minister of All Britain, and Officiary of the Games, upon presenting Prince William with the Cheltenham Tournament Virgin Atlantic Trophy. "For he has made the doughty enemy void his saddle, and hight him upon his very fud; and many a rude and glorious tale shall be of this day's deeds retold."

"Such feats of brawn and bravery have we scarce beheld since Prince's father, Charles of Wales, did ride forth in errantry, and did in single combat meet, and unhorsing humiliate, sundry knights of the Falkland Islands," added Blair with a hearty heavenward thrust of his gauntled fist.

Upon being relieved of his helm, breastplate, and greaves by his trusty squires the Minister of State for Trade and Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Netherlands, the prince did declare a feast day and order the roasting of a fatted ox. The beast was shared out in equal parts among all freedmen in attendance, and small beer and brown ale was given forth in full fair measure. A fine and merry bawd did last until the rising of Tuesday's sun brought forth the ****'s cry, heralding once again a round of bold and robust trading on the London Stock Exchange, so well delighted and put at ease by the day's events Albion's investors were.

Also late from the Netherlands came grave tidings that Prince Willem-Alexander hath suffered wounds diverse and mortal, and that he ails sick abed i'the Amsterdam Medical Center, where doctors are struggling with all their art against profuse hemmorhaging cerebral and abdominal.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-05, 07:45 PM
This is why the Onion is awesome. I read almost every issue. :smallbiggrin:

Capt'n Ironbrow
2007-11-06, 09:54 AM
Hehe, funny this. I'm a bit confused though... Is it complete fiction, was there an actual Joust or is this just a brilliant romantisation of currency rate news?

haven't heard of it in Dutch media (yet) though.

InaVegt
2007-11-06, 10:48 AM
LIES, your damned prince William would never have beaten the great prince Willem Alexander, Saviour of all humanity and chosen of my masters. His majesty has gained great gifts of my masters, making it impossible to defeat him in anything but a rigged battle.

Thes Hunter
2007-11-06, 12:19 PM
Hehe, funny this. I'm a bit confused though... Is it complete fiction, was there an actual Joust or is this just a brilliant romantisation of currency rate news?

haven't heard of it in Dutch media (yet) though.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, The Onion is satire. So yes, it is a work of complete fiction.

Trog
2007-11-06, 12:32 PM
Alack! Verily, Trog is henceforth endebted to the gnome Cosmo the princely sum of 100 gold coins. Henceforth Trog will cease his penchant for wagering Trog's fortunes upon this most noble of sports. Forsooth!

*gets thee to a moneylender*

Om
2007-11-06, 03:53 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/GreaterDCU/Misc/event_joust.jpg
A neighbouring ruler has insulted you in a tourney!

[/obscure game reference]

Simius
2007-11-06, 04:34 PM
LIES, your damned prince William would never have beaten the great prince Willem Alexander, Saviour of all humanity and chosen of my masters. His majesty has gained great gifts of my masters, making it impossible to defeat him in anything but a rigged battle.

Bwahaha, yeah right. *rolls eyes*

Rykaj
2007-11-06, 07:59 PM
No Gezina is very right! Our grand crown-prince, so great in majesty and posture as he is, would be of a far too high calibre (in great majesty and posture, well mostly plump posture) to be unhorsed by a mere lance thrusted toward him at the lowly speed of galloping steed! To unhorse our huge, err... I mean great! Yes great crown-prince one would need the weight comparable to a wrecking ball travelling at approximately 200 miles per hour. A near factual impossibility, as declared by the wise and well-paid scholars in our fair country. In other words: your scrawny British prince ain't got **** on our beefed crown-prince!

Ceska
2007-11-06, 08:15 PM
A neighbouring ruler has insulted you in a tourney!

[/obscure game reference]
Swallow it but bear a grudge.

I should be ashamed it took me so long to really figure out who you are, even though I was pretty close once. Still, ouch.:smallredface: