PDA

View Full Version : Human as a class?

Dancingdeath
2020-12-13, 05:13 AM
So I'm wondering if this is a thing. There is a Human Racial Paragon in UA just like many of the monster races. It would stand to reason then that since monsters can advance as a class that humans could too. Is there such a thing in published works and if not has anyone ever tried to homebrew it? Or seen such a homebrew?

Quentinas
2020-12-13, 05:23 AM
The monster classes for example the guardinal of the planar handbook, were created to let the players play a monster even in the low level campaign
On the other side a paragon class is a class that only some humans have and that are not obbligatory to finish , with another difference because the monster class recreate (nearly) the monster with some levels covering each hit die and each level adjustment while the paragon only buff
So probably a monster class for humans can't exists , I think i have seen someone progressing a human with hit dice instead of classes and was quite strong as the humanoid hit dice are low on the cr so it was a 80 hit dice with a cr 20 but technically a human progress by classes not by hit dice

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-13, 10:52 AM
Well, humans are listed as being jacks of all trades, and factotum is pretty much a distilled version of that. All skills, decent combat, and magic, all three. With Able Learner to keep all of the factotum's skills as class skills regardless of additional levels.

As for PrCs, chameleon.

Both exemplify the human ability to do anything we put our minds to.

If you want to focus more on being a powerful combatant, dip into one or more ToB classes, depending on what kind of combatant you want to be. Want to be a holy warrior, similar to a paladin? Dip crusader. Want to be more of an assassin? Swordsage. Want to be a straight bruiser, like a fighter or barbarian? Warblade.

liquidformat
2020-12-13, 11:35 AM
I often use humanoid rhd to represent commoner and move commoner it be strictly for children...

Telonius
2020-12-13, 12:36 PM
So I'm wondering if this is a thing. There is a Human Racial Paragon in UA just like many of the monster races. It would stand to reason then that since monsters can advance as a class that humans could too. Is there such a thing in published works and if not has anyone ever tried to homebrew it? Or seen such a homebrew?

The thing with monster classes is that they're supposed to represent a way for people to play a monstrous race with LA or RHD, starting at level 1. If the creature has no RHD or LA, you trade in the first hit die for a class. For Humanoids (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#humanoidType) particularly:

Humanoids with 1 Hit Die exchange the features of their humanoid Hit Die for the class features of a PC or NPC class.

So there wouldn't be much of a point to a monster class there.

There is a "Human Heritage" feat in Races of Destiny, that allows a half-human or human descended character to count as human, but that's probably the closest thing you'd find.

bean illus
2020-12-13, 01:35 PM
Human paragon 3/ chameleon 10 is 13 levels.
Is that all we got for human only classes and prcs?

So, a +1 LA with the first feat spent on human heritage can take 13 levels of human? Level 14?

EDIT:
Prerequisite
Half-human race or human-descended race

bean illus
2020-12-13, 02:23 PM
Human paragon 3/ chameleon 10 is 13 levels.
Is that all we got for human only classes and prcs?

So, a +1 LA with the first feat spent on human heritage can take 13 levels of human? Level 14?

EDIT:
Prerequisite
Half-human race or human-descended race

No. Because able learner is also needed.

Doppelganger 4/ human paragon 3/ chameleon 10
= 17 levels, and enough feats.

Thurbane
2020-12-13, 04:06 PM
Not really the answer OP is looking for, but the Mutiheaded template can give a Human extra RHD, FWIW.

Dancingdeath
2020-12-13, 06:39 PM
Not really the answer OP is looking for, but the Mutiheaded template can give a Human extra RHD, FWIW.

Lol. Yeah not exactly what I was looking for.

Its kind of a thought experiment I guess. What would "human" as a racial class even look like? It would be versatile but not inherently great at anything without specializing. It would likely give a fair amount of bonus general feats and have good skill progression. I'm just spitballing here I guess.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-13, 07:00 PM
Lol. Yeah not exactly what I was looking for.

Its kind of a thought experiment I guess. What would "human" as a racial class even look like? It would be versatile but not inherently great at anything without specializing. It would likely give a fair amount of bonus general feats and have good skill progression. I'm just spitballing here I guess.Humans gain a bonus feat and bonus skill points, so you'd probably get plenty of bonus feats (or a bonus feat that you can change day to day) and lots of skill points (and all skills as class skills).

Factotum/chameleon pretty much hits that dead-on. And it also gets plenty of casting, too.

Falontani
2020-12-13, 07:11 PM
Is it wrong that I think that in some ways Changelings are able to better emulate the concept of being a human than a human could?

Dancingdeath
2020-12-14, 12:19 AM
I can't remember the name of the novel but I read one years ago that touched on this. There was a device on an alien planet that caused beings to evolve. A human touched it and evolved to the next evolution of a human. He became smarter, stronger, faster, his speed of thought was insane. No dramatic physical change in appearance except he lost all body hair and none on his head, got bigger, and his bones and muscles increased in density so he appeared girthy.

If we look at it as a human not progressing as what they are already but what they can become then the idea seems like a viable one for a "monster" class. Again I'm just thinking out loud here.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-14, 01:00 AM
Paragon creature template (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm)? Break the LA down level-by-level, and...

I mean, you won't get any HD, but...

You could always pair it with the human paragon racial class.

That way you can be a paragon human human paragon.

Particle_Man
2020-12-14, 02:08 AM
3rd party arcana evolved has humans going up to 6th level (due to genetic engineering by dragons though). Pathfinder has a pro-human imperial bloodline for sorcerers.