PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Fey Touched vs Telekinetic for my Eloquence Bard (and Hexblade vs Aberrant mind)

Gooka
2020-12-13, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone! I'm currently playing an Eloquence Bard and my party just reached 4th level (we are all new players).

I was looking for a half feat because of my odd charisma stat (17) and I'm undecided between those two feats:

Fey Touched for Misty step and Gift of Alacrity (added to my spell list and a free use per day of each one). Bless is tempting instead of Gift of Alacrity, but I think I already have (and will have) lots of spells that require concentration.
Telekinetic for the shove bonus action: place enemies into Faerie Fire / Hypnotic Pattern / Wall of Force (magical sectrets) / Forecage / party range, bonus action disengage (for others and maybe me depending on the DM), and breaking grapples. I've read it's really useful for Wizards. Plus invisible and componentless Mage hand.

As extra information, I'd like to multiclass into a Hexblade (medium armor, shields and Eldritch Blast) or Aberrant Mind (Telepathic Speech and Absorb elements) after level 6 (I really like Warlocks and Sorcerers, and those two bring a lot of stuff) because of Mind Sliver (I think it's gonna we awesome to keep Hold Person / Hold Monster on someone after Unsettling Words) and because of Shield (so I know I'll be using my 1st level slots at every level).

My doubts are:

As an Eloquence Bard, will I be using my bonus action regularly because of Unsettling Words? Also Animate Objects, Heat metal, Healing Word and giving inspiration to the rest from time to time (I think it's more useful for save or suck spells). So will I really use the Telekinetic shove bonus action?
Will I find more useful to have Misty step and Gift of Alacrity (or Bless)?
Is it worth to take both? I was thinking to pick +2 cha at 8th level to make it 20 and resilient (con) at 12th.
Also, Hexblade 1/2? or Aberrant mind 1/ 2+metamagic adept? Thoughts for each? Does it take too long for the last option to be useful?

I lack experience, so I really appreciate every advice.
Thank you and sorry if something is unclear (english is not my first language).

Emongnome777
2020-12-13, 04:09 PM
Any use of your Bardic Inspiration takes a bonus action, so that's 4 bonus actions per rest at 5th level. Is there room for enough the telekinetic shove to make it worthwhile? Add in (if you choose warlock) Hexblade's Curse, maybe Hex, and the other spells you mention, that's lots of uses of bonus actions. I'm leaning against Telekinetic for this build, but if you take it, you'd certainly never lack for getting to use your bonus action nearly every turn. How long is your adventuring day? If you normally have several encounters, then you will need to spread out your BA abilities and the feat may be useful.

As for which class to multiclass, hexblade 2 gives you a good scaling damage boost and the best ranged cantrip for damage straight up. Hard to pass that up. I don't think Aberrant Mind nets you as much, but if it ties in with your character better and would be more fun, then go with the fun option. Always.

Gooka
2020-12-14, 12:12 PM
Any use of your Bardic Inspiration takes a bonus action, so that's 4 bonus actions per rest at 5th level. Is there room for enough the telekinetic shove to make it worthwhile? Add in (if you choose warlock) Hexblade's Curse, maybe Hex, and the other spells you mention, that's lots of uses of bonus actions. I'm leaning against Telekinetic for this build, but if you take it, you'd certainly never lack for getting to use your bonus action nearly every turn. How long is your adventuring day? If you normally have several encounters, then you will need to spread out your BA abilities and the feat may be useful.

I hadn't thought about Hexblade curse (for the dip into Hexblade). So, maybe Fey Touched would give more flexibility.

We're playing Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but I think our DM is adapting some things. Right now, we've had days of just battles and days of RP, but we haven't advanced a lot. We spend a lot of time in every battle and are incredibly cautious while exploring, so we take a lot of time.

As for which class to multiclass, hexblade 2 gives you a good scaling damage boost and the best ranged cantrip for damage straight up. Hard to pass that up. I don't think Aberrant Mind nets you as much, but if it ties in with your character better and would be more fun, then go with the fun option. Always.

I guess Hexblade is the best among those two options, I may be biased because I really wanted the telepathy ability granted by the Aberrant mind, hidden/uncovered conversations and subtle Suggestion with metamagic while telepathically give the command sounds cool (but that's 2 levels+a feat). And I though Absorb elements would be useful for dragon breath attacks. But I guess it's too niche. And then, even if that sounds funny, I'm afraid I'll regret to pick it because of the possibility of not using it as I though and compare it to what Hexblade could give (plus the delay of higher level spells learned I'll have). I'll have to pick a sorcerer for my next character class hahahah

Thanks for your advice Emongnome777