PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Spell and Booming Blade?

Damon_Tor
2020-12-13, 05:45 PM
Can you use Seeking Spell with a spell like Booming Blade? Reading the current wording of the spell, I see no reason why not:

"You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack's normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn."

Compare to the wording of firebolt a spell that does a spell attack:

"Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 fire damage."

The weapon attack isn't some external event caused by the spell, the weapon attack roll is a part of the spell in the same way that the spell attack roll is for any other spell. So I don't see why this wouldn't function exactly the way we would expect it.

Lord Vukodlak
2020-12-13, 10:16 PM
Can you use Seeking Spell with a spell like Booming Blade? Reading the current wording of the spell, I see no reason why not:

"You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack's normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn."

Compare to the wording of firebolt a spell that does a spell attack:

"Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 fire damage."

The weapon attack isn't some external event caused by the spell, the weapon attack roll is a part of the spell in the same way that the spell attack roll is for any other spell. So I don't see why this wouldn't function exactly the way we would expect it.

No because it’s not a spell attack roll and the Seeking magic magic requires the spell trigger a dex save or use a “spell attack roll” booming blade uses a melee attack role.

Lunali
2020-12-13, 11:36 PM
No because it’s not a spell attack roll and the Seeking magic magic requires the spell trigger a dex save or use a “spell attack roll” booming blade uses a melee attack role.

Except that's not what seeking spell says at all. "If you make an attack roll for a spell and miss, you can spend 2 sorcery points to reroll the d20, and you must use the new roll."

Lord Vukodlak
2020-12-14, 01:04 AM
Except that's not what seeking spell says at all. "If you make an attack roll for a spell and miss, you can spend 2 sorcery points to reroll the d20, and you must use the new roll."

That’s not what the copy i read said. It specified spell attack role. I couldn’t find what book it was in, only a UA copy.

Quietus
2020-12-14, 01:15 AM
That’s not what the copy i read said. It specified spell attack role. I couldn’t find what book it was in, only a UA copy.

There's your problem. The actual text is :

Seeking Spell
p66
If you make an attack roll for a spell and miss, you can spend 2 sorcery points to reroll the d20, and you must use the new roll.

You can use Seeking Spell even if you have already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

The real question is, if you have advantage on the original roll, do you reroll with advantage? Or are you just rerolling a single d20?

Lord Vukodlak
2020-12-14, 03:07 AM
There's your problem. The actual text is :
I would consider it a simple courtesy. That if one has a question about a non-core spell/feat/class option they either post the relevant text like you just did or at least say what book it’s in.

With the actual text on hand I would say yes it works.

The real question is, if you have advantage on the original roll, do you reroll with advantage? Or are you just rerolling a single d20?
So long as the conditions that caused advantage remain if say yes.
So for example and enemy hit by guiding bolt to gives you advantage on your next attack roll. You wouldn’t reroll advantage on that but you would if the foe was say subject to faerie fire which gives all attacks advantage.

Swosh
2020-12-14, 07:01 AM
1 Reroll only, dosnt matter if you have advantage/disadvantage.

PHB pg 173, Advantage/Disadvantage:
"When you have advantage or disadvantage and something in the game, such as the halfling's Lucky trait, lets you reroll the d20. you can reroll only one of the dice. You choose which one. For example, if a halfling has advantage on an ability check and rolls a 1 and a 13. the halfling could use the Lucky trait to reroll the 1."

Quietus
2020-12-14, 09:11 AM
1 Reroll only, dosnt matter if you have advantage/disadvantage.

PHB pg 173, Advantage/Disadvantage:
"When you have advantage or disadvantage and something in the game, such as the halfling's Lucky trait, lets you reroll the d20. you can reroll only one of the dice. You choose which one. For example, if a halfling has advantage on an ability check and rolls a 1 and a 13. the halfling could use the Lucky trait to reroll the 1."

Aha, excellent point! Thank you!

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-14, 09:13 AM
No because it’s not a spell attack roll and the Seeking magic magic requires the spell trigger a dex save or use a “spell attack roll” booming blade uses a melee attack role. I think that booming blade is a melee spell attack.

Quietus
2020-12-14, 06:52 PM
I think that booming blade is a melee spell attack.

Casters everywhere wish this was the case. It is a melee weapon attack.