PDA

View Full Version : Magic Initiate Feat for Lvl4 Druid

TheCleverGuy
2020-12-13, 07:28 PM
I'm playing a Circle of Dreams Druid in an Eberron campaign, and liking it a lot. We're at level 3 now, and will probably level up after our next session. I rolled good stats (STR 7, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 18, CHA 10), so I'm considering taking a feat.

One thing I feel like I'm missing is useful cantrips. I started with Produce Flame and Primal Savagery. While I know I'll get a third cantrip at level 4, I was also looking at Magic Initiate. It would give me two more cantrips, plus a once-per-day, slot-free spell. I'd probably either stick with the Druid spell list, or choose Cleric so that I don't have to worry about switching spellcasting stats.

Any thoughts on which cantrips I should look at? And/or what 1st level spell I should learn? If I do learn a Druid spell with the feat, do I still need to have it prepared each day to use it?

Thanks in advance!

th3g0dc0mp13x
2020-12-13, 08:04 PM
Sticking with druid/cleric is a good idea.

Druid: Create Bonfire uses concentration so it's not usually that great but in minor fights where you don't want to burn a bigger spell it's great. This is only really good if you are playing on a grid and can place it on an intersection so it hits 4 squares. That sets you up well for combat, I would grab guidance for those times when it's helpful which is often. For your first level I like absorb elements as it isn't always used but I always have it prepared. This lets you have it "prepared" and 1 free use per day.

Cleric. Toll the dead, or sacred flame maybe both. Toll the dead is great damage, sacred flame is radiant damage which is nice against all sorts of creatures. For the 1st level I'd go either command, cure wounds, or healing word. Cure wounds and healing word are now "prepared" for you so you can save on preparing them.

Rara1212
2020-12-14, 07:13 AM
Could go Wizard for Find Familiar, Booming Blade(Not needed tho, as you have Primal Savagery) and maybe Prestidigitation

I also like the Cleric idea. Toll the dead is a great attack cantrip, Guidance is really nice and freeing up a spell pick by taking Healing word can be nice.