PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Planetar and Solar true seeing - Su or SLA?

jmax
2020-12-13, 09:22 PM
Planetar and Solar angels have detect evil, detect snares and pits, discern lies, see invisibility, and (the one I really care about) true seeing always active. Would these be considered supernatural abilities or spell-like abilities? They're listed under the SLA block, but they follow the same operating model with the same language as the angels' Protective Aura (Su): always active, can be dispelled, free action to restore. So far as I know, continuous effects don't actually fit the SLA mechanic, especially not with the free action restore.

Are there any other always-active effects labeled as SLAs that have the free-action restore model? Or should these be supernatural abilities and just aren't marked properly? What's the justification one way or the other?

My inclination is to treat them like SLAs because of where they are in the block, but I would love for them to be supernatural abilities that I can pick up with shapechange :-D

newguydude1
2020-12-13, 09:25 PM
theyre sla.

balors have supernatural true seeing.

jmax
2020-12-13, 09:28 PM
balors have supernatural true seeing.

That's essentially my point. Every other continuously effective magical monster ability I can think of is listed as supernatural. These are the only ones that aren't, and they follow the same pattern as a different ability on the same creature listed as supernatural. So why are they different?

newguydude1
2020-12-13, 09:56 PM
That's essentially my point. Every other continuously effective magical monster ability I can think of is listed as supernatural. These are the only ones that aren't, and they follow the same pattern as a different ability on the same creature listed as supernatural. So why are they different?

who knows but thats not an argument. monsters at random have spells as sla or su abilities. ask wotc why. but the fact is all those spells are listed as an sla for solar so its a sla.

icefractal
2020-12-13, 10:56 PM
Pretty sure the most commonly used criteria was "does this creature already have other SLAs"? If so, it's easy to stick the continuous ones in there with the rest, otherwise it's a separate ability and may well be (Su).

Crichton
2020-12-13, 11:23 PM
Planetar and Solar angels have detect evil, detect snares and pits, discern lies, see invisibility, and (the one I really care about) true seeing always active. Would these be considered supernatural abilities or spell-like abilities? They're listed under the SLA block, but they follow the same operating model with the same language as the angels' Protective Aura (Su): always active, can be dispelled, free action to restore. So far as I know, continuous effects don't actually fit the SLA mechanic, especially not with the free action restore.

Are there any other always-active effects labeled as SLAs that have the free-action restore model? Or should these be supernatural abilities and just aren't marked properly? What's the justification one way or the other?

My inclination is to treat them like SLAs because of where they are in the block, but I would love for them to be supernatural abilities that I can pick up with shapechange :-D

It's not even a question. Look in the actual Monster Manual, not the SRD, for the most clear version of the formatting. As you say, they're very, very clearly listed in the SLA block, so there's absolutely ZERO chance they're Su. They are, unequivocally, 100 percent, Spell-Like Abilities for Planetars and Solars.

Vaern
2020-12-14, 10:18 AM
It's not even a question. Look in the actual Monster Manual, not the SRD, for the most clear version of the formatting. As you say, they're very, very clearly listed in the SLA block, so there's absolutely ZERO chance they're Su. They are, unequivocally, 100 percent, Spell-Like Abilities for Planetars and Solars.
The SRD, however, is updated with any official errata, meaning that if it was a mistake that has since been corrected then the SRD would show the correct ruling.
The SRD still lists it clearly as SLA, though, so that's a moot point.

Crichton
2020-12-14, 12:51 PM
The SRD, however, is updated with any official errata, meaning that if it was a mistake that has since been corrected then the SRD would show the correct ruling.
The SRD still lists it clearly as SLA, though, so that's a moot point.

Yes, the information in both the SRD and the MM is identical on this particular topic. I merely pointed out that the formatting in the MM makes it irrefutably clear, while the SRD, while still listing them under the SLA section, doesn't have the same line/paragraph breaks and so one can see why a reader there might mistake them for something other than being clearly inside the SLA section of the monster entry

Psyren
2020-12-14, 01:00 PM
In Pathfinder it is listed as a (constant) SLA as well, if that helps any. Constant SLAs can be dispelled like any other, but the creature can reactivate them as a swift action.