PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The Emissary of Keranos Build (Armorer Multiclass, Advice Welcome)

Silpharon
2020-12-14, 12:53 AM
Hello good folks! I've been working on a build for far too long, and I think it's ready to be unveiled for your comments and critique. I present:

The Emissary of Keranos
http://i.imgur.com/HazyF2D.png
Courtesy http://aqwwiki.wikidot.com/arcane-battle-armor

Race: Human Mark of Passage (spells added to Artificer list)
Starting Attributes (Point Buy, Racial Dex+2, Int+1): Str: 8, Dex: 14, Con: 14, Int: 16, Wis: 10, Cha: 13
Background: Sage (History, Arcana)
Starting Class: Artificer (Con Proficiency)
Mythic Odyssey of Theros: Heroic Destiny Supernatural Gift, Keranos Deity
Skills: Arcana, Investigation, Nature (swapped from history at first ASI), Perception
Tool Proficiency: Cartographer's Tools

Concept:
The intent of the character is to be both a solid damage dealer and modest support while also having the air of a mystic ranger (without being a ranger). He is essentially both self-sufficient yet party-supportive. An emissary of the great Keranos (God of Storms), he has studied in the Guild of Arcane Travel (Mark of Passage), and is intent on solving the mysteries hidden in the stars. He is primarily an Armorer, with a Lightning Launcher enforcing Keranos' smite, and the tools to solve his master's intellectual challenges. He is also a Psi Warrior, having unraveled the mysteries of the forces holding together the universe, he can now bend those forces to his will. He is also a Divine Soul Sorcerer, a spark of Keranos inside him pressing to understand the laws of nature, and destined to earn a place among the stars of Nyx. He is finally a Genie Warlock, having been gifted a ring holding a Djinni by a spirit of Keranos himself. His main layout is heavy armor in Infiltrator mode, shield in left hand, lightning launcher on his right fist, and his right hand occasionally grasping an item like the All-Purpose Tool. He keeps his helmet retracted except at night, as he has Goggles of Night built in for darkvision. He usually keeps robes over his armor, infused with Mind Sharpener.

Classes at 20:
Armorer Artificer 15
Psi Warrior Fighter 3
Divine Soul Sorcerer 1
Genie Warlock 1

Progression:
Armorer to 3 -> Divine Soul Sorceror 1 -> Armorer to 6 -> Psi Warrior to 3 -> Armorer to 10 -> Genie Warlock 1 -> Armorer to 15
ASIs: Int+2, Int+2, Sharpshooter
Fighting Style: Archery (ranged to hit +2)
Divine Soul Alignment: Law (Bless)

Adventuring Prepared Spell Selection at 20 (will of course be different at different levels):
Cantrips: Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Guidance, Lightning Lure, Mending, Shape Water, Shocking Grasp, Sword Burst, Thaumaturgy, Thorn Whip
1st Level: Absorb Elements, Armor of Agathys (Warlock), Bless (Sorc), Cure Wounds, Healing Word (Sorc), Hex (Warlock), Magic Missile, Sanctuary, Shield (Sorc), Thunderwave
2nd Level: Invisibility, Mirror Image, Misty Step, Pass without Trace, Shatter
3rd Level: Haste, Hypnotic Pattern, Lightning Bolt, Revivify, Tiny Servant
4th Level: Dimension Door, Elemental Bane, Fire Shield, Greater Invisibility, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

Style of play:
Levels 1-3: Concentrate on Faerie Fire, support with Cure Wounds and Sanctuary, Attack with Magic Stone and Lightning Launcher
Levels 4-7: Concentrate on Bless, added support with Healing Word, Attack 2x with Extra Attack and pick up Radiant Weapon at Artificer 6
Levels 8-10: Concentrate on Bless, added support with Psi Warrior Protective Field, Attack with more accuracy, Action Surge, and Psionic Strike
Levels 11-14: Concentrate on Haste, added support with Revivify and Flash of Genius, Attack with Enhanced Weapon +2
Levels 15-16: Concentrate on Haste, added support with Faerie Fire Spell Storing Item, Attack with Genie Wrath
Levels 17-20: Concentrate on Elemental Bane/Haste/Hex depending on situation, added support with Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Attack with Perfected Armor

Infusion selection:
Mind Sharpener (robes), Radiant Weapon (Artificer 6-10), Enhanced Weapon (Artificer 3-5, 10+), Homunculus Servant, Enhanced Defense, Winged Boots, Gem of Seeing, Ring of Free Action, Belt of Hill Giant Strength when necessary, Spellwrought Tattoo (1st level for Find Familiar and spells to put in glyphs...see below)

Special Abilities:
Glyph Master
One night a ring was dropped into his lap by an owl. He knew this was a gift of Keranos. Upon investigation, the ring was a vessel for a Djinni Genie. This ring he keeps on his left hand, covered in combat by the shield he wields. But the beauty of the gift was what he could do inside the vessel. With the Glyph of Warding spell, he could create a multitude of buff combinations for battle. His vessel is lined with what seems to be arcane maps of the universe. Each map holds a series of glyphs, that upon his secret phrase, unleashes to buff him for battle. Even in combat, he can use an action to enter the vessel, speak a code phrase to activate a glyph set, and bonus action to pop out. With Action Surge, he can even continue to fight after receiving the buffs. These glyphs are expensive and must be prepared well in advance, so this technique is only used in the most dire of battles.

Maximum glyph set:
Bless, Sanctuary, Haste, Enhance Ability, Greater Invisibility, Longstrider, Enlarge/Reduce, Protection from Poison, Protection from Energy, Spider Climb, Intellect Fortress, Freedom of Movement, Stoneskin
And even more through Spellwrought Tattoo infusions (1st level): Gift of Alacrity, Heroism, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield of Faith

Arcane Traveler
Access to Misty Step (1/LR free from racial ability, then using 2nd level slots) allows a quick escape as an infiltrator if being grappled or to avoid an opportunity attack.
Pass without Trace allows +10 Stealth for him and his party. Combined with infiltrator advantage (assuming wearing proper armor), +2 dex mod, and flash of genius - this means +17 stealth and advantage on stealth checks without even proficiency in the skill.
Dimension Door is so flavorful. Get in and out of fights quickly, enter places that no one else can.

Elemental Bane Master
Lightning damage is typically not resisted, so why bother you ask? We're are actually causing the bane on thunder. There are two reasons this is so good for him:

Genie's Wrath (Djinni) will be thunder damage. This can be applied to any attack we wish on a turn. We will typically get three attacks per turn with Haste. If one of those crits, send in Genie Wrath, then the Elemental Bane damage die are doubled since it's part of the attack (4d6). By the way, at level 20, he always has advantage on all but the first hit on the same enemy from Perfected Armor.
Shatter will be in our Spell Storing Item. 10 charges. Cast 5th level Tiny Servant (he has one 5th level slot) for 5 servants before the fight. As a bonus action, order the 5 servants on their turn to pick up the SSI, blast the baddie, and drop the SSI. Each of those servants' blasts benefits from Elemental Bane. This gives 5*(3d8+2d6)=102.5 average damage per round for 2 rounds (10 charges in the SSI) from just the bonus action.

Ultimate infiltrator
Besides the Pass without Trace trick (+17 stealth mod with advantage), here's another fun option. Give your Genie Vessel to your Homunculus Servant. Also give it a small object imbued with Magical Tinkering to play a recorded message. Cast invisibility (regular) on the servant and command it to make it's way to your quarry (it has decent intelligence after all). Enter the vessel and off flies the servant. Upon reaching the target, the servant taps the object with the message. "Here's Johnny!". You can hear this in the vessel (per Genie Vessel rules), use your bonus action and out you pop. Surprise!

Supporter
With Faerie Fire, Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Bless, Sanctuary, Revivify, Flash of Genius, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, and Psi Warrior Protective Field - you have a lot to offer your team. You can also control the battlefield with Guardian mode armor and Hypnotic Pattern.

Survivalist
Basic AC: Plate 18 + Shield 2 = 20
AC with Haste: 20+2 = 22
AC with +2 Shield: 22+2 = 24
AC with +2 Enhanced Defense Armor: 24+2 = 26
AC with Shield of Faith glyph: 26+2 = 28
AC with Shield reaction: 28+5 = 33
With Absorb Elements, Shield, Mind Sharpener, Flash of Genius, Favored by the Gods, and Psi Warrior Protective Field - you will be hard to bring down. The Heroic Destiny Supernatural Gift from MoT adds even more death defying stunts. When only you survive, use Revivify on your fallen friends.

Preferred Magic Equipment

+3 All-Purpose Tool for better Hypnotic Pattern casts and similar
Molten Bronze Skin (Plate) for advantage on stealth with AC 18 and clear ability to wear robes over it.
Ring of Spell Storing for holding Elemental Bane and similar concentration spells

Normal Encounter Damage Output at 20 (no glyphs or 1/rest abilities):
1st Turn: Haste, Bonus Action command Homunculus Servant to cast bless through ring of spell storing.

2nd Turn and thereafter: Attack
Attack 1: 1d6 weapon + 5 int mod + 2 enhanced weapon = 10.5 average (no sharpshooter intentionally to help with hit)
Attack 2: 1d6 + 1d6 Perfected Armor + 10 sharpshooter + 5 + 2 = 24 average
Attack 3 (haste!): 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 Keranos Piety3 + 1d6 lightning launcher extra damage + 1d6+5 psi strike + 6 genie wrath + 10 + 5 + 2 = 45.5 average
Total: 80 average assuming all hit. The first attack does not have advantage, all the others do through Perfected Armor. To hit should be 6 prof + 5 int + 2 archery + 2 enhanced weapon + 1d4 bless = 15+1d4. Favored by the Gods adds 2d4 if necessary. Sharpshooter reduces to hit by 5 when used. Obviously some hits will miss depending on AC. Some hits will also crit...
Use bonus action for servant attack, healing word, misty step, sanctuary, etc.

Max Damage Output at 20:
Assuming shield already donned, infiltrator mode, and 5 tiny servants are already with you. Familiar (created through Spellwrought tattoo infusion) carries ring of spell storing with elemental bane.
1st Turn: Action into Genie Vessel, say codewords to gain Haste, Bless, Shield of Faith, Enlarge, and others as necessary. Bonus Action out. (Later in the round the familiar casts Elemental Bane Thunder)

2nd Turn: Bonus Action Hex, Action Surge Attack! Drop servants and SSI.
Attack 1: 1d6 weapon + 1d6 hex + 1d4 enlarge + 5 int mod + 2 enhanced weapon = 16.5 average (no sharpshooter intentionally to help with hit)
Attack 2: 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 1d6 Perfected Armor + 10 sharpshooter + 5 + 2 = 30 average
Attack 3: 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 1d6 + 10 + 5 + 2 = 30 average
Attack 4: 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 1d6 + 10 + 5 + 2 = 30 average
Attack 5 (haste!): 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 1d6 + 1d6 Keranos Piety3 + 1d6 lightning launcher extra damage + 2d6 elem bane + 1d6+5 psi strike + 6 genie wrath + 10 + 5 + 2 = 58.5 average
Total: 165 average assuming all hit. The first attack does not have advantage, all the others do through Perfected Armor. To hit should be 6 prof + 5 int + 2 archery + 2 enhanced weapon + 1d4 bless = 15+1d4. Favored by the Gods adds 2d4 if necessary. Sharpshooter reduces to hit by 5 when used. Obviously some hits will miss depending on AC. Some hits will also crit...

3rd and 4th Turn: Bonus Action Command Tiny Servants, Attack Action
Attack 1: 1d6 weapon + 1d6 hex + 1d4 enlarge + 5 int mod + 2 enhanced weapon = 16.5 average (no sharpshooter intentionally to help with hit)
Attack 2: 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 1d6 Perfected Armor + 10 sharpshooter + 5 + 2 = 30 average
Attack 3 (haste!): 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d4 + 1d6 + 1d6 Keranos Piety3 + 1d6 lightning launcher extra damage + 2d6 elem bane + 1d6+5 psi strike + 6 genie wrath + 10 + 5 + 2 = 58.5 average
Total: 105 average assuming all hit.
Total including Tiny Servant damage through the round: 105+5*(3d8+2d6)=207.5 average damage (assuming again all shatters hit)

Sustained 105 DPR after this until Keranos extra damage and Psionic Strikes run out, then 93 thereafter until Haste runs out...not including any bonus action options (Magic Stones for servants, Homunculus Servant attack, Healing Word, etc.)

Conclusions
I had fun making this build. I'm open to your criticisms and comments. I'd love to hear suggestions to make it better!

Dork_Forge
2020-12-14, 02:23 AM
I'm curious why you chose to include Divine Soul in the build and why you chose to take it a character level 4?

Is the inclusion a roleplay thing?

Silpharon
2020-12-14, 02:51 AM
I'm curious why you chose to include Divine Soul in the build and why you chose to take it a character level 4?

Is the inclusion a roleplay thing?

Thanks for the question! It's in part roleplay, and in part optimization.

The Divine Soul Sorcerer provides Shield, Bless, and Healing Word. All three are fantastic spells, and I end up focusing on bless until haste comes online later. Shield might be overkill, but it really solidifies the reaction options available. My DM usually asks "does a 19 break your AC?" Assuming that did naturally break it, I can then either react with shield if it'll hurt a lot and shield stops it, or I can let it pass and soak the damage (8.5 average late game) with Protective Field. Shield was a UA Armorer spell, and I wanted it back. Healing Word provides a means to save an ally from death saving throws as a bonus action. The class also provides 4 additional cantrips, of which I included Booming Blade, Guidance, Mending, and Thaumaturgy.

For role play, he has a divine spark from Keranos to solve the mysteries in the stars. He is destined to earn a place among the stars of Nyx (Heroic Destiny from MoT). I updated the post with a little more RP in the concept section. Practically speaking, my party's only other healer is a paladin - I figured someone needed healing word.

I picked level 4 because I wanted to get Bless going for the team, and have Healing Word to pick up the fallen. I could see waiting until after Extra Attack at Armorer 5 instead.

If you have another suggestion, I'm all ears!

Dork_Forge
2020-12-14, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the question! It's in part roleplay, and in part optimization.

The Divine Soul Sorcerer provides Shield, Bless, and Healing Word. All three are fantastic spells, and I end up focusing on bless until haste comes online later. Shield might be overkill, but it really solidifies the reaction options available. My DM usually asks "does a 19 break your AC?" Assuming that did naturally break it, I can then either react with shield if it'll hurt a lot and shield stops it, or I can let it pass and soak the damage (8.5 average late game) with Protective Field. Shield was a UA Armorer spell, and I wanted it back. Healing Word provides a means to save an ally from death saving throws as a bonus action. The class also provides 4 additional cantrips, of which I included Booming Blade, Guidance, Mending, and Thaumaturgy.

For role play, he has a divine spark from Keranos to solve the mysteries in the stars. He is destined to earn a place among the stars of Nyx (Heroic Destiny from MoT). I updated the post with a little more RP in the concept section. Practically speaking, my party's only other healer is a paladin - I figured someone needed healing word.

I picked level 4 because I wanted to get Bless going for the team, and have Healing Word to pick up the fallen. I could see waiting until after Extra Attack at Armorer 5 instead.

If you have another suggestion, I'm all ears!

Divine Soul is a good subclass I just wanted to make sure going in that direction was roleplay since the Cha requirement isn't great. Personally I'd wait until 6th to dip it though, this way you're not delaying your ASI and Extra Attack which could make you feel like you're running behind the team in effectiveness.

When you take a dip on a class that has Extra Attack, you generally want your dip to be at level 1 or 6, so that it fits into your progression a little nicer.

I skimmed through the build last night before bed, I've got another game today but when I have more time I'll read through it more thoroughly and make any suggestions I have then.

Silpharon
2020-12-14, 01:35 PM
Divine Soul is a good subclass I just wanted to make sure going in that direction was roleplay since the Cha requirement isn't great. Personally I'd wait until 6th to dip it though, this way you're not delaying your ASI and Extra Attack which could make you feel like you're running behind the team in effectiveness.

When you take a dip on a class that has Extra Attack, you generally want your dip to be at level 1 or 6, so that it fits into your progression a little nicer.

I skimmed through the build last night before bed, I've got another game today but when I have more time I'll read through it more thoroughly and make any suggestions I have then.

Thanks, yes I could see that. The build is support heavy until Fighter and Haste pick up steam. I could see Divine Soul being level 1 instead. Thematically that's fun as well. I would be giving up Investigation and Perception skills. I may be able to gain them back depending on the interpretation of skill changes in Tasha's.

The Cha investment is more for Genie Warlock than Sorcerer. As you read through the build, you'll notice some significant benefits from the Djinni. The Divine Soul worked out well to round out the build.

I appreciate your feedback, and look forward to any more insight you can provide.

CMCC
2020-12-24, 04:48 PM
Cool build.

You had me at Keranos

Valmark
2021-01-16, 05:12 AM
The Glyphmaster part doesn't work since you can't move the Glyphed thingie more then 10 feet (unless you prepare an ambush well in advance).

J.C.
2021-01-16, 06:24 AM
I am not convinced.

Silpharon
2021-01-16, 10:15 AM
The Glyphmaster part doesn't work since you can't move the Glyphed thingie more then 10 feet (unless you prepare an ambush well in advance).
The Genie Vessel rules state it is an extradimensional space (permanent unlike rope trick). Here's a statement directly from WotC on extradimensional spaces that backs up the notion that motion on another plane is separate from the vessel's space (look under adventuring):

dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-answers-august-2015
The key phrase from sage advice: An extradimensional space (aka an extraplanar space) is outside other planes.

So there is no motion inside the vessel when the wearer moves outside the vessel, it's on another plane of existence. This makes sense, after all, you don't expect the furnishings inside to be trashed from endlessly tumbling around as the wearer moves.

This concept of using glyph of warding for buffs from a different plane isn't new. It's been discussed before through:
-- Leomund's Secret Chest (though I'm not sure the chest can reappear elsewhere in the material plane without the book moving 10 feet from where it was cast).
-- Bag of holding (though again, pulling a glyph'd object out 10 feet away from where it was cast seems fishy, even though it wasn't "moved".)
-- Portable Hole (this one seems lock tight for taking glyphs with you, but you couldn't use it in combat in one turn).

It's not a totally free lunch, as the vessel can be destroyed. When this happens, everything inside that you've put there topples out, and I'd argue any glyphs stored in these objects are then ruined. Also, you can only enter the vessel once per long rest, so this isn't infinitely exploitable, and each glyph costs 200 gold, so it would be an expensive hobby.

I am not convinced.
Are you referring to the Glyph part or the build as a whole?

Valmark
2021-01-16, 10:52 AM
The Genie Vessel rules state it is an extradimensional space (permanent unlike rope trick). Here's a statement directly from WotC on extradimensional spaces that backs up the notion that motion on another plane is separate from the vessel's space (look under adventuring):

dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-answers-august-2015
The key phrase from sage advice: An extradimensional space (aka an extraplanar space) is outside other planes.

So there is no motion inside the vessel when the wearer moves outside the vessel, it's on another plane of existence. This makes sense, after all, you don't expect the furnishings inside to be trashed from endlessly tumbling around as the wearer moves.

This concept of using glyph of warding for buffs from a different plane isn't new. It's been discussed before through:
-- Leomund's Secret Chest (though I'm not sure the chest can reappear elsewhere in the material plane without the book moving 10 feet from where it was cast).
-- Bag of holding (though again, pulling a glyph'd object out 10 feet away from where it was cast seems fishy, even though it wasn't "moved".)
-- Portable Hole (this one seems lock tight for taking glyphs with you, but you couldn't use it in combat in one turn).

It's not a totally free lunch, as the vessel can be destroyed. When this happens, everything inside that you've put there topples out, and I'd argue any glyphs stored in these objects are then ruined. Also, you can only enter the vessel once per long rest, so this isn't infinitely exploitable, and each glyph costs 200 gold, so it would be an expensive hobby.

Are you referring to the Glyph part or the build as a whole?

Nothing about that states that extradimensional spaces don't move. We agree on the Portable Hole, since the extradimensional space is created when the cloth is unfurled etc.

But a Bag of Holding is itself the extradimensional space- you move one, you move the other. The glyph is moving from it's original position. Otherwise you could write it on the floor of something like a vehicle and just move the vehicle.

I case can be made for Leomund's Secret Chest since it's hard to say wether it moved in feet by crossing dimensions.

A genie vessel acts very much like the Bag Of Holding though- you have it on you and the space is always there (or at least nothing says it creates a space).

Silpharon
2021-01-16, 11:10 AM
Nothing about that states that extradimensional spaces don't move. We agree on the Portable Hole, since the extradimensional space is created when the cloth is unfurled etc.

But a Bag of Holding is itself the extradimensional space- you move one, you move the other. The glyph is moving from it's original position. Otherwise you could write it on the floor of something like a vehicle and just move the vehicle.

I case can be made for Leomund's Secret Chest since it's hard to say wether it moved in feet by crossing dimensions.

A genie vessel acts very much like the Bag Of Holding though- you have it on you and the space is always there (or at least nothing says it creates a space).
I know we are discussing this in the other thread, so no need to respond. I appreciate your perspective. I would say the contents of another plane of existence isn't "moved" even if the access point to that plane is moved. What matters is position relative to a plane of existence. After all, are we not all spinning around an Earth, sun, milky way?