PDA

View Full Version : Boon of Irresistible Offense

Sigreid
2020-12-14, 03:16 AM
This is one of the epic boons. I'm curious whether you all would allow this to apply to damaging spells and such? I'm inclined to think it should, but not immunities.

Galithar
2020-12-14, 03:19 AM
It would apply to any source of damage and overcome any resistance but not immunity. So I think you have the right of it.

MaxWilson
2020-12-14, 09:36 PM
This is one of the epic boons. I'm curious whether you all would allow this to apply to damaging spells and such? I'm inclined to think it should, but not immunities.

Yes, exactly.

I'd give out partially bypassing a specific immunity as a separate boon that doesn't stack with Irresistible Offense/Elemental Adept. E.g. "your fire magic burns so hot that even creatures immune to fire take 20% of the damage, unless the DM rules that it literally makes no sense (like burning a creature made from fire)."

Sigreid
2020-12-14, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. What I'm considering is a campaign where all of the characters have to be standard human, but they are demi gods so other than dimension jumping or a free 9th level spell slot letting them pick an epic boon or a feat without restriction. The goal is to have races like elves and dwarves in the game but for them to be as alien as if they were from another planet, but allow the players to be supper cool unique dude.

MaxWilson
2020-12-14, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback. What I'm considering is a campaign where all of the characters have to be standard human, but they are demi gods so other than dimension jumping or a free 9th level spell slot letting them pick an epic boon or a feat without restriction. The goal is to have races like elves and dwarves in the game but for them to be as alien as if they were from another planet, but allow the players to be supper cool unique dude.

I'd suggest letting them make up their own super cool unique powers instead. They're more likely to come up with actual cool stuff like "I can talk to objects about things that they've seen in the last day or so", "I can detach my shadow and put it back on my body to use it as plate armor, but only in bright light", or "I always find a silver coin in my pocket whenever I reach in and need one". The DMG stuff is IMO mostly kind of lame and colorless, "you have (minor combat benefit) for one turn per short rest."

Sigreid
2020-12-14, 11:07 PM
I'd suggest letting them make up their own super cool unique powers instead. They're more likely to come up with actual cool stuff like "I can talk to objects about things that they've seen in the last day or so", "I can detach my shadow and put it back on my body to use it as plate armor, but only in bright light", or "I always find a silver coin in my pocket whenever I reach in and need one". The DMG stuff is IMO mostly kind of lame and colorless, "you have (minor combat benefit) for one turn per short rest."

They can suggest something if they want to. They all know that. Generally if I haven't set a hard parameter, they know I'm open to anything not crazy.

And I'll be honest, at this point I'm looking for a little crazy in the game. :D