PDA

View Full Version : gravity based spells

slexlollar89
2007-11-05, 05:32 PM
what would you guys say about a spell that drains hp of a target depending on the amount of HD the target has?

ex: if i hit a guy with 2HD, the spell deals 2d6 damage, if 3HD, then 3d6 damage etc.

what level (ish) spell would this potentially be (maybe an area spell)?

Shishnarfne
2007-11-05, 05:51 PM
Well, you could look at spells which deal Con damage as a starting point... As that's effectively a similar end result. I believe that Poison and Cloudkill are the two primary ones.

Of course, if you want to add the ability to damage constructs/undead with this, it would probably need to be modified upwards from these, but I think that this is a place to start your search.

AslanCross
2007-11-05, 05:57 PM
I'm assuming you're basing these on the gravity spells in Final Fantasy. There is a spell that shaves off half a creature's current hit points, rounded down, and stuns the target unless it succeeds a Fort save. It's called avasculate. You'll find it in the Spell Compendium. It's level 7.

Its big brother, avascular mass, does the same thing while entangling everything within 20 feet. Avascular mass is Lv 8. I think these can simulate the effects of demi pretty well.

Oh yeah, both are ranged touch attacks. No save against the HP halving.

Tengu
2007-11-05, 06:06 PM
I'm proud of the fact that when I've seen the name of this thread, I immediately thought about Final Fantasy.

Though I don't have anything constructive to add.

slexlollar89
2007-11-05, 10:15 PM
Thanks, those spells are almost perfect! Yeah you guys had it right about the final fantasy spells... my current campaign is a makeshift version of FF6 (with stuff I added and deleted according to neccesity or artistic liscense) in which the players are the main characters.

There are no espers, just really strong magical beasts (some homebrew, some not). The gravity thing is important because I am going to set them up against a grav mage guy.