• You know the guidance cantrip.
• You have the guiding bolt spell prepared. It
counts as a druid spell for you, and it doesn't
count against the number of spells you can
have prepared .
• You can cast guiding bolt without expending a
spell slot. You can do so a number of times equal
to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended
uses when you finish a long rest." (emphasis added)

I'm primarily looking at the bolded part. Most things like this specify the level at which the spell is cast, however, this does not. Typically, it would be written along the lines of "You can cast guiding bolt as a 1st level spell without expending a spell slot", but Star Map does not.

I'm sure the intent is that it is only cast as a 1st level spell, but were you the DM, would you allow your player to cast it at a higher level?

Galithar
2020-12-14, 11:55 AM
Absolutely not. Just like any other time something (typically items) gives you the ability to cast a spell it is always at the lowest level, unless the description says otherwise.

Even without upcasting it is a very potent ability.

micahaphone
2020-12-14, 12:02 PM
I swear I've seen a rule that says "assume you're casting at the lowest possible level unless otherwise specified" but I can't find it right now.

You could set a charge system, where expending an extra charge upcasts it. This would be most powerful at level 1 and 2 (letting you do a second level guiding bolt) and maybe at level 5? Guiding Bolt scales really poorly, so I don't think it's ever the right call, so I guess I'm not too concerned over the balance of getting an extra D6 of damage in the early levels.

Oramac
2020-12-14, 12:24 PM
Even without upcasting it is a very potent ability.

Without a doubt! I just noticed the omission and was curious how others would rule it.

I swear I've seen a rule that says "assume you're casting at the lowest possible level unless otherwise specified" but I can't find it right now.

You could set a charge system, where expending an extra charge upcasts it. This would be most powerful at level 1 and 2 (letting you do a second level guiding bolt) and maybe at level 5? Guiding Bolt scales really poorly, so I don't think it's ever the right call, so I guess I'm not too concerned over the balance of getting an extra D6 of damage in the early levels.

I swear I saw a similar rule, but also couldn't find anything specific.

And true enough. Spending more "proficiency charges" (for lack of a better term) would be a good way to handle it.