PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Homebrew Setting: Abnormal Cultures?

GravityEmblem
2020-12-14, 02:11 PM
Typically, the races of D&D have a culture that doesn't diverge too much from the traditional stereotypes. Certainly, there may be a tweak here and there, but you'll generally find cheerful, naïve halflings, gruff dwarves who work as miners and smiths, and tinkering gnomes.

But I'm interested in hearing about non-standard cultures!

For example, in my setting, all the Elves are very weird. High Elves are the somewhat typical racist snobs, but they also have a warped sense of morality, where every wrongdoing (no matter how minor) is punished by a sacrifice to their god, the Archfey. Wood Elves have a deep-standing rivalry with the High Elves, refusing to accept their "civilized society" and living a tribal lifestyle instead. Rather than worship a particular diety, they revere nature as a whole. (They also practice ritual cannibalism, but that's not really atypical) Dark Elves, meanwhile, are a good deal kinder than in normal D&D. Driders are accepted into society, though distrusted by many, and weakness and compassion are punished by banishment...to the much safer surface world.

Cicciograna
2020-12-15, 06:08 PM
Take a look into Eberron. You'll like the change.

KaussH
2020-12-15, 06:34 PM
Honestly, if i home brew a setting, i homebrew the cultures. More than i can post with ease. But i go into social, sexual, relationships, isums , traits, name structure, ect

Now i like to keep bits, but i may alter them. In my current setting, i have my dwarves involved in underground and under ice things. So their stockyness includes more fat under the skin, a whole change in skin tone ranges, ect.

I also put in theocracies, city states, divided kingdoms, ect.

Add to this to the fact i encourage players to make charicters from "over there a bit" so they can sub culture it up.

Now i realize not everone wants to do this but... its your world, do what you like.

You want to make your orcs into gender shifting semi amphibious creatures that have multiple breeding paths and a "keep what you can hold" relationship structure with a high tenancy for an invader colonies view, rock on.

Try to avoid the all statments, use majority terms, and make sure players know ( for playable races) " you dont have to be that way, your a pc" and enjoy.

GravityEmblem
2020-12-15, 07:13 PM
Take a look into Eberron. You'll like the change.

Haha, yes, I definitely prefer more inventive settings like Eberron and Dark Sun to more typical fair, like Greyhawk and Realms. This thread was sort of intended to be, like a sharing spot. I like hearing about other people's settings, I must admit, and I like talking about my own.

zarionofarabel
2020-12-17, 02:30 PM
Sovereign Stone for D20 had Dwarves as nomadic horseman similar to the Mongols. Elves are analogous to the Samurai of feudal Japan. Orcs are great sailors and are by no means savage or evil.

jjordan
2020-12-17, 05:10 PM
Elves are invaders from another world who brought their halfling servants and orc slaves with them. Their plans for conquest were delayed by an invasion of dragons and their kobold worshippers and the subsequent revolt of their orc slave-warriors and a civil war that 'created' the drow. Elvish society is deeply rooted in the concept of obligation and is largely incomprehensible to people who haven't spent 100 years being educated in how to fit in to it.