PDA

View Full Version : How long would a Half-Dragon, Nymph live for?

BlueWitch
2020-12-14, 05:10 PM
It's really just for fluff.

But if you were DM, about how long would you say a Half-Dragon, Half-Nymph could live for?

Thurbane
2020-12-14, 05:58 PM
For sake of simplicity, I would go one of two options:

1.) She's immortal, as many Fey (or Fey descended are).

2.) Use the same age as the parent dragon.

There was a Half-nymph race or template in an issue of Dragon: not sure of that mentions age categories?

SirNibbles
2020-12-14, 06:02 PM
It's really just for fluff.

But if you were DM, about how long would you say a Half-Dragon, Half-Nymph could live for?

Folklore and legends often portray fey as immortal, but the core D&D cosmology is silent on the issue of fey immortality. If a Dungeon Master chooses to make fey (or any broad category of creatures) immortal in her campaign, she needs to carefully consider the consequences.

Fey Feature: Immortality and Mortality

If you are ruling fey as being immortal as a result of having the Fey type, then losing they Fey type would lose that immortality when Half-Dragon changes your type to Dragon. If it's a racial feature of all fey, but not necessarily part of the fey type, then it wouldn't be lost. However, I'd say that would require the individual creature entry to say the creature is immortal.

If you're using the Half-Nymph template, you're applying it to a humanoid anyhow, so it'd be based on whether or not that base humanoid is immortal:

"Half-nymph" is an inherited template that can be added to any humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the "base creature").

Dragon Magazine #313, page 95

You can't apply the Half-Nymph template to a Half-Dragon, only the other way around, so your type would become Dragon.

Neither the Dragon type nor the Half-Dragon template make any mention of affecting ageing or age categories, so the base creature's stats would apply.

EDIT: Partially ninja'd, and I'm not sure if you were looking at doing a Nymph with the Half-Dragon template or any (humanoid) creature with both the Half-Nymph and Half-Dragon templates.

Remuko
2020-12-14, 11:51 PM
Neither the Dragon type nor the Half-Dragon template make any mention of affecting ageing or age categories, so the base creature's stats would apply.

EDIT: Partially ninja'd, and I'm not sure if you were looking at doing a Nymph with the Half-Dragon template or any (humanoid) creature with both the Half-Nymph and Half-Dragon templates.

Well races of the dragon had info on Half Dragons.

Half-Dragons usually share the heritage of a less long-lived race and so might endure for no more than a few centuries. Still, they are granted far more time than most, and those born of an elf-dragon union can challenge ancient wyrms for longevity

So we know theyre usually quite long lived, at least compared to say humans, and thats on the low end of the scale. Sadly I dont think theres anything more specific. "A few centuries" to "many millenia"

vasilidor
2020-12-15, 01:50 AM
centuries, at minimum.
now are you applying the half dragon template to a nymph or a half nymph template to a dragon?
this could change the final answer, but I still say centuries at minimum.
could be that none have ever died of old age, but some have lived and died. dragons themselves hardly ever make it long enough to die of old age.

stack
2020-12-15, 07:18 AM
They live until three rounds after the party arrives and starts a fight.

Xervous
2020-12-15, 10:11 AM
They live until three rounds after the party arrives and starts a fight.

Or it’s happily ever after when the bard wins initiative and continues reading off the playbook of cliches.

Arkhios
2020-12-16, 11:02 PM
There's also the tiny tidbit of what immortality means for the creature: no limit on their lifespan (e.g. Tolkien's elves), but can still die from harm or violence OR they simply can't die by any means.

Of those, I'd say the latter is waaay more problematic in D&D cosmology, while the first remains mostly flavor.

Morty_Jhones
2020-12-18, 08:12 PM
Half dragon, half Nymph.....

Well theres a mach made in hell.

Dragon Nobel magestic greedy Rage monster

meets

The personifecation of phyisical Beauty

and has a love child......

I supect that there was a hell of alot of sweettalking going on so i supect It to be a blue or silver dragon we are talking about.

this kid is going to be serusly conflicted, sincs Nymphs draw there power from the purity of there woodland home and dragons.. not so much

Nyimph and dryad lore says that as long as the area they are tide to satay pure they can live for afectivly forever, reforming if killed, I would supect that any ofspring would inherit responsablity for a pach of land atached to it nyimph perant. but would also inherit its dragon perants need for wealth and status, 2 things that could only be gained by Leaving such an aera and wors by dispoiling and area as a safe place to store its rich's.

so it could in theiry live foe an eternity just as long asthat war of Dragon Greed Vs Nyimph glory stays in balance.