PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [Advices needed] Artificer new homebrew subclass - The Arcane Cartographer

Uncle1113
2020-12-15, 05:51 AM
Hi guys, i was scrolling through the available tools in dnd and when i saw cartographer's tool i just had a spark! The first thing i thought, not gonna front, was the marauder's map from harry potter, and the influence i'd say is pretty noticeable. I did take a few liberties tho.

But enough with the chit chat, i wanted to have what was your opinion on it and if anything needs a change, whether it being a nerf/buff, additions (especially for the manipulations) or even a complete change.

I'm especially torn on the capstone, i'm a relatively new player and have never even fathomed those levels, which makes it somewhat harder. If you have any suggestion on that it'd be deeply appreciated

Thanks in advance for answering :)

apparently i can't post the gm binder link, so i'll be leaving the subclass down below:

The Arcane Cartographer
Arcane Cartographer Spells
Starting at 3rd level, you always have certain spells prepared after you reach particular levels in this class, as shown in the Arcane Cartographer Spells table. These spells count as artificer spells for you, but they don’t count against the number of artificer spells you prepare.

Artificer Level Arcane Cartographer Spells
3rd Earth Tremor, Detect Magic
5th Locate Object, Zone of Truth
9th Leomund's Tiny Hut, Dispel Magic
13th Freedom of Movement, Locate Creature
17th Commune with Nature, Passwall

Tool Proficiency
When you adopt this specialization at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with cartographer's tools which can be used as your arcane focus. If you already have this proficiency, you gain proficiency with one other type of artisan's tools of your choice.

Here Be Dragons
By level 3 you have created a peculiar map which, until activated, looks like a regular piece of parchment. You as its sole owner will decide what the code that can activate and deactivate it is. Once activated it will unfold and show you its contents.

The map will instantly fill itself faintly with the details of everything in a radius of 1 mile. You can take an action to outline and complete a section up to 120ft from you. The resulting map is of the outmost accuracy, probably topping every map ever issued up to day, showing even the finest of details and giving the most precise distance calculations.

In a new city or village, when you take a long rest you can spend it to go around and outline the map and still gain the benefits of a long rest. You can do this also if you spend enough downtime exclusively for that purpose (which at the DM's discretion can be up to 8 hours).

If you lose the map or it gets destroyed you can spend 1 hour of uninterrupted work to create a replacement. All your work is not lost and it is recovered as soon as the replacement is completed. This can be performed during a short or long rest, and it destroys the previous map. The maps you made will remain even if you die however it loses its magical properties. While the map is in your hand:

- Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel
- You and your group can’t become lost even by magical means
- You always know which way is north.
- Even if you're outlining the map it doesn't slow you down or make you less alert
- When you make Arcana, Investigation and Perception checks to find traps, secret doors or passages, you add your Intelligence modifier to the roll. If you pass it, the room or trap's location will appear on your map, but it won't give you any informations on its content or the mechanism.
- You will be able to see all the creatures in that area as dots of various dimensions depending on the size of the creature (from small and larger), and, with the DM's discretion, the names of said creatures. No further informations other than their exact positions, sizes and names are given on the map. In case of invisible creatures, you will not be able to see them on the map.
- You and your party cannot be surprised

Map Manipulation
At 3rd level, once you succesfully outlined your map you will be able to manipulate the environment to your advantage with your bonus action. These changes are illusionary, and they will revert to the way they were before after 5 minutes or when you dismiss it as a free action. You are limited to 1 manipulation per turn, 2 at level 5 and 3 at level 11. The option available are listed at the bottom.

Enhanced Interpretation
You know an outlined section as if it was your own turf. As a result you are able to move more swiftly. At level 5 you gain the following bonuses as long as you are holding the map and are in an outlined section:

- 10 feet of speed
- +2 AC
Furthermore you are able to discern areas affected by magic as long as you are looking at your map, thus you can cast the spell Detect Magic a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier without expending a spell slot.

Spatial Manipulation
At 9th level your map manipulation improves considerably, making you able to create a teleportation mean (you choose how it will look like. i.e: a circle, a gate, etc) to travel faster to places you have already visited and outlined.

For this ability to work it will need 50gp or anything worth at least that amount (which will be consumed) and it can't teleport more than a number of willing creatures (large or smaller) equal to your Intelligence modifier plus half your Artificer level.

Use an action to initiate the creation of the portal by folding your map to reach the location you desire. Once 1 minute has passed the portal will be opened and it will remain open until the end of your next turn.

Once used you regain this ability after a long rest.

Mapmaking Mastery
Your map interpretation is that of a master cartographer now. Starting from level 15 you'll be able to see creatures on the map even if they are invisible. If a creature is invisible you will be notified, as the dot representing it will be labelled as "Invisible" right above it.

NEEDS A SECOND PART!

Manipulations
Manipulations mostly need the targeted creature to make a saving throw against your Manipulation save DC:

8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Hit
Use the environment to your advantage to hit a target you can see who must make an Intelligence saving throw.

It takes 2d8 damage* on a failed save or half as much damage on a successful one.

Grasp
Use the environment to your advantage to grasp a target you can see who must make an Intelligence saving throw.

It takes 1d6 damage* on a failed save and is restrained, or half as much damage and suffers no consequences on a successful one. The target may try to free itself at the start of each of their turns by succeeding a Strength saving throw against your spell save DC.

Push
Use the environment to your advantage to push a target you can see who must make an Intelligence saving throw.

It takes 1d6 damage* on a failed save and is pushed away by 10ft in a direction of your choice, or half as much damage and suffers no consequences on a successful one.

Pull
Use the environment to your advantage to pull yourself or a willing creature you can see away. When you do so you can effectively move the creature to a distance equal to your speed without causing attacks of opportunity.

Trip
Use the environment to your advantage to trip a target you can see who must make an Intelligence saving throw.

This can be used as a reaction to trip a moving target in a 10 feet range from you.

On a failed save the target falls prone, or suffers no consequences on a successful one.

Difficult Terrain
Use the environment to your advantage to create a difficult terrain in a 20 feet radius centered on a point of your choice.

*Damage type for Manipulations
As you will make use of whatever is around you, the damage type will vary. For example:

If you make use of the stone pavement to create a pillar that hits the target violently as it rises, it is gonna be bludgeoning damage.

If there are stalactites on the ceiling, make one fall on top of the target to cause cold damage.

And so on...

I decided to leave this one up to the imagination to incentivize role playing and also for the sake of adaptability.