PDA

View Full Version : Is there a practical use for odd ability scores?

BisectedBrioche
2020-12-15, 07:46 AM
My current character's scores are all even numbers (yay, standard array). I was planning on taking a feat instead of a straight ability score increase, so should I just disregard the single point most feats come with when I'm deciding what to go for?

Gignere
2020-12-15, 07:49 AM
My current character's scores are all even numbers (yay, standard array). I was planning on taking a feat instead of a straight ability score increase, so should I just disregard the single point most feats come with when I'm deciding what to go for?

The only edge case where an odd score matters is multiclassing. Where you need a 13 in one or more ability score to multiclass.

Otherwise if you do get a half feat with all even scores you should consider getting another half feat later to even it out.

Darzil
2020-12-15, 07:51 AM
You might end up considering two single point feats. It delays ASI progression by 4 levels, but if there are two you want (or one you really want) that is an alternative.

Sometimes there are uses for odd numbered ability scores, such as requirements for multiclassing or heavy armour use.

MoiMagnus
2020-12-15, 07:56 AM
The main reason for having odd ability scores is to eventually turn it into an even score with a half feat. If you don't plan on taking an half feat to round it up, you can mostly ignore this bonus.

Other reasons to want an odd score:
+Multiclassing requires 13 in some abilities.
+Heavy armour requires 13 or 15 in Str.
+Every point of Str increases your carrying capacity.
+Some DMs create custom magic items that give +1 to an ability.

LudicSavant
2020-12-15, 08:02 AM

There are two things that odd ability scores matter for.

- Multiclassing requirements (they're 13s).
- Turning them into an even score later with a ASI.

diplomancer
2020-12-15, 08:23 AM
Apart from what's been mentioned already (multiclassing, heavy armor, carrying capacity), a few feats also have a 13 in a particular score as a prerequisite.

Naanomi
2020-12-15, 08:33 AM
Intellect Devourers, every point of INT counts (even odd ones)... might be other monsters that attack stats directly

clash
2020-12-15, 08:37 AM
In my games I allow taking 2 half feats without the ability score bonus in place of a single asi. Haven't had a problem with it yet. If there are half feats you really want maybe see if your dm would go for something like that.

OldTrees1
2020-12-15, 08:39 AM
How long is the campaign? 1+1=2. So if the campaign lasts 2-3 ASI then you might get back to even ability scores.

ff7hero
2020-12-15, 09:38 AM
One unmentioned niche benefit to odd scores is Long Jump distance.

Democratus
2020-12-15, 11:14 AM
Encumbrance is based on raw STR score, iirc.

So even 1 point of STR means you can carry more.

AttilatheYeon
2020-12-15, 11:51 AM
What do you have against odd numbers? Even your name turns. 1 brioche into 2, an odd number turned even number! 😉

jojosskul
2020-12-15, 11:53 AM
Some people (including me) use Dex to break initiative ties. So if someone with a 16 dex and someone with a 17 dex roll the same initiative, 17 Dex goes first.

DwarfFighter
2020-12-15, 12:33 PM

Your question isn't really about whether there is a use for, say, advancing Dex from 14 to 15 when taking a feat. Short version: There isn't.

You are clearly uncomfortable with missing out on optimal ability score bonuses in order to get a good feat. My advice: Don't do it. You'll be more miserable looking at that odd numbered Ability score than you will be for missing the cool stuff your feat would let you do. Think about it: You will be feeling that flaw with every roll of the dice. On the other hand, you can't possibly miss the benefits of Keen Mind if you never have it! It'd be like a blind person complaining that he can't see Van Gogh, big deal!

If you against my better judgement decide to break your perfect even-numbered ability score array with an ugly useless odd-numbered value (everyone knows that with 15 in Dex instead of 16 you might as well not have Dex at all, right?), then some forward planning and getting a second "+1 ability score" feat will put you back on track when you even both of those out with your third Ability Score Increase.

-DF

MaxWilson
2020-12-15, 03:49 PM

As DM I grant an extra +1 on ability checks (not attacks or saves) for odd scores, precisely in order to make e.g. Dex 17 distinct from Dex 16. By RAW they're equivalent (except for special cases noted by other posters above, most importantly multiclassing and heavy armor) and I dislike that.

Bullman
2020-12-15, 05:57 PM
As DM I grant an extra +1 on ability checks (not attacks or saves) for odd scores, precisely in order to make e.g. Dex 17 distinct from Dex 16. By RAW they're equivalent (except for special cases noted by other posters above, most importantly multiclassing and heavy armor) and I dislike that.

Do you mean that you round up the scores for ability checks? e.g. Dex 15 and 16 would give +3 and Dex 17 and 18 would give +4 to acrobatics check? Seems reasonable to me

MaxWilson
2020-12-15, 06:01 PM
Do you mean that you round up the scores for ability checks? e.g. Dex 15 and 16 would give +3 and Dex 17 and 18 would give +4 to acrobatics check? Seems reasonable to me

Essentially yes.

CMCC
2020-12-15, 11:38 PM
Multiclassing and strength scores.

Honestly this is one of many really bad (or lacking) mechanics.

The fact that a 14 and 15 INT are functionally the same makes zero sense. Change the scale of this is the case

Luccan
2020-12-16, 12:06 AM
Multiclassing and strength scores.

Honestly this is one of many really bad (or lacking) mechanics.

The fact that a 14 and 15 INT are functionally the same makes zero sense. Change the scale of this is the case

It would require a rethinking of stat increases, particularly temporary boosts or magic items. You'd also need to completely rebalance half feats and racial ASIs.

Personally, I'm fine with the odd numbers not increasing the big stat bonuses, but I think they could all stand to have something like Strength giving jump and carrying bonuses. Hmm, I wonder... If we still did something like initial impression rolls, you could do a straight d20 roll < Charisma Score = positive initial contact. Constitution could dictate how long you can perform your excessive pushing/carrying strength tasks without penalty (because right now you can push an object twice your carrying capacity all day without tiring). And maybe we could change holding your breath to key off the stat instead of the modifier. We could let some bonus languages key off Int again. Maybe Stat - 10 = number of bonus languages, not counting racial/class/background languages. Could use some workshopping. Wisdom and Dex I'm having trouble coming up with any ideas for.

MoiMagnus
2020-12-16, 04:55 AM
It would require a rethinking of stat increases, particularly temporary boosts or magic items. You'd also need to completely rebalance half feats and racial ASIs.

It's not that hard to make this change in 5e, and it would have been pretty easy for the devs to do so when designing 5e.
+For character generation, point-buy can be kept without changes, and for rolling it's possible but kind of awkward to keep the same character generation but then forget the score and only keep the modifier. Alternatively, it's reasonably easy to come up with alternative methods (see spoiler).
+Racial ASI that were "+2/+1" are now "+1/+1". The subraces with "+2/+2" or "+2/+1/+1" become "+1/+1" and you might want to add a small bonus like an additional skill/tool proficiency to compensate.
+Magic items are rounded down.
+Half-feat don't provide any ASI, but instead when you recieve an ASI you have the choice between +1 in an ability, a full feat, or two half-feats.
=> In total that much changes. But that's still multiple changes in order to "fix" a single small problem, so probably not worth taking as houserules.

Roll 11d6, and assign each "number" to an ability and count how many time each number is obtained
0 => ability at -1
1 => ability at 0
2 => ability at +1
3 => ability at +2
4 => ability at +3
5 => keep 4 of those dice (so ability at +3) and chose the faces of the others

Except in 1/7776 of the cases (where you obtain +1/+1/+1/+1/+1/0), you are guaranteed to have a +2 with this method.

Naanomi
2020-12-16, 09:11 AM
The intellect devourer appreciates your apathy in the matter

Ettina
2020-12-17, 04:50 AM
Intellect Devourers, every point of INT counts (even odd ones)... might be other monsters that attack stats directly

Shadows come to mind.

CMCC
2020-12-18, 01:05 PM
The intellect devourer appreciates your apathy in the matter

What am I missing here? Isn't it a contested intelligence check (d20 rolls + modifier)?

OldTrees1
2020-12-18, 01:22 PM
What am I missing here? Isn't it a contested intelligence check (d20 rolls + modifier)?

Devour Intellect. The intellect devourer targets one creature
it can see within 10 feet of it that has a brain. The target must
succeed on a DC 12 Intelligence saving throw against this
magic or take 11 (2d10) psychic damage. Also on a failure,
roll 3d6: If the total equals or exceeds the target’s Intelligence
score, that score is reduced to 0. The target is stunned until it
regains at least one point of Intelligence.

CMCC
2020-12-18, 01:47 PM
Devour Intellect. The intellect devourer targets one creature
it can see within 10 feet of it that has a brain. The target must
succeed on a DC 12 Intelligence saving throw against this
magic or take 11 (2d10) psychic damage. Also on a failure,
roll 3d6: If the total equals or exceeds the target’s Intelligence
score, that score is reduced to 0. The target is stunned until it
regains at least one point of Intelligence.

Ah - I thought it was in reference to the next ability.

Well, there you have it. A third use for odd scores ;)

Hand_of_Vecna
2020-12-18, 02:07 PM
15 Strength to use Splint mail without drawbacks. Basically a small niche benefit for starting martials.