PDA

View Full Version : Multiple instances of the same cantrip

Hilary
2020-12-15, 11:14 AM
Could a spell caster take multiple instances of the same cantrip, then have multiple instances of it up at the same time?

Example: Light. Taken three times, each occupying a cantrip choice, a caster could then have three Light cantrips active at the same time.

nickl_2000
2020-12-15, 11:21 AM
By Rule as Written (RAW), not you can't. You can only have one instance of a spell up at a time unless it specifically says otherwise (see Prestidigitation).

Many tables would allow this as a house rule though on a case by case basis. If you want to spend an extra cantrip slot to have two light spells up at once, absolutely.

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-15, 11:33 AM
If you want to spend the down time and the gold, create two scrolls of the light cantrip (it's valid) and then cast them when you need extra light going. Granted, this could get expensive over the long haul, but for a one time requirement that will work.

JonBeowulf
2020-12-15, 11:58 AM
This concept hurts my head. The spell list is just a collection of things your character knows how to cast. You can’t know something multiple times.

However, I’d let you gimp your character’s flexibility if that’s what you really wanted to do.

Guy Lombard-O
2020-12-15, 12:52 PM
I'd say no, but as others have noted it's a pretty suboptimal strategy so it you really wanted it, I'd probably allow it as a DM.

Have you considered casting/buying a Continual Flame or two for the party? That's a decent RAW workaround (at least for multiple Light cantrips).

stoutstien
2020-12-15, 01:01 PM
May I suggest the artificer with magical tinkering. It explicitly allows you to have multiple light effects at once.

Danielqueue1
2020-12-15, 03:13 PM
I feel like this isn't actually about the light spell and the question is leading more towards stacking two ray of frosts on a sorcerer to give a creature -20 to movement when you quicken it. Or to have two minor illusions up at the same time. I think the light spell was just a harmless example.

JNAProductions
2020-12-15, 03:19 PM
Could a spell caster take multiple instances of the same cantrip, then have multiple instances of it up at the same time?

Example: Light. Taken three times, each occupying a cantrip choice, a caster could then have three Light cantrips active at the same time.

RAW? No.
RAI? No.

Would I allow it? Probably not-that specific example is gimping yourself way too hard.

PhantomSoul
2020-12-15, 03:22 PM
I feel like this isn't actually about the light spell and the question is leading more towards stacking two ray of frosts on a sorcerer to give a creature -20 to movement when you quicken it. Or to have two minor illusions up at the same time. I think the light spell was just a harmless example.

That was a concern that came to mind... Ray of Frost self-stacking is somewhat already covered (only affected once by two effects with the same name/spell) but two illusions would be plausible.