PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Shapeshifter base class (WIP)

desero clades
2020-12-15, 01:16 PM
This is very much a work in progress. So far i only have 1 subclass "done." I figured I'd get a little feedback before I continue working on this. The other 2 subclasses are going to be "Devil Summoner" which focuses on demon/devil, angel and fey powers, and the "Unnaturalist" which will focus on undead, constructs and oozes.

Shape shifter base class 5e

D10 hit die
1 Chosen archetype. Shift. Shape points. Tier 1 Augments
2 Mini-Polymorph
3 Regeneration
4 ability score increase
5 Tier 2
6 Invigorate, Silvered Fangs
8 ability score increase
9 Tier 3
10 Baleful Polymorph
12 ability score increase
13 Tier 4
14 Improved Invigorate
16 ability score increase
17 Tier 5
19 ability score increase
20 Masterful Shifting

Proficient in simple weapons and light armor
Pick 2 of the following skills; Athletics, Nature, Survival, Intimidation, Perception, Insight and Animal Handling.

At level 1 you choose one archetype between, Behemoth, Devil Summoner, and Unnaturalist. Your base Shift ability will differ between each archetype and each.

Mini-Polymorph
Starting at level 2 you can turn yourself into any tiny beast with a CR 0 as an action you retain your mental ability scores but take on the physical scores of the animal. It costs 1 shape point to use this ability and lasts 1 hour or until you are incapacitated or reduced to 0 hit points.

Regenerate
Your touch can heal wounds. You have a pool of Healing power that replenishes when you take a Long Rest. With that pool, you can restore a total number of Hit Points equal to your Shapeshifter level x 5.
As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of Hit Points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool.
Alternatively, you can expend 5 Hit Points from your pool of Healing to cure the target of one disease or neutralize one poison affecting it. You can cure multiple Diseases and neutralize multiple Poisons with a single use of Regenerate, expending Hit Points separately for each one.
This feature has no Effect on Undead and Constructs.

Invigorate
When you take a short rest you can regain half of your maximum shape points. Once you use this feature you can not do so again until you take a long rest.
At level 14 you instead regain your maximum shape points.

Silvered Fangs
Your natural attacks count as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Baleful Polymorph
As an action you can touch a target and transform it into a beast of challenge rating 1 or lower. The target's game statistics other than mental ability scores, hit points, alignment and personality are replaced by those of the new form.The target is allowed a Wisdom saving throw to resist the transformation.The transformation lasts for 1 minute, or until the target drops to 0 Hit Points or dies. After 1 minute, the target receives an additional wisdom saving throw. If it succeeds, it reverts to its normal form; if it fails, it remains an animal.
You may use this ability once per long rest.

Masterful Shift
Whenever you shift you may select a two Tier 1 or one Tier 2 augments to add to your shift without paying any shape points.

Behemoth
Shift
As a bonus action you can shapeshift into a beastial form. You may also spend shape points to augment your form. Your new form lasts for 1 hour, or you can revert to your original form early as a bonus action. Your shape points are equal to your level + CON modifier, you regain all spent shape points when you take a long rest.

While shifted your AC is 10+dex+con. You gain the 2 following features
Beast Claws: gain 2 claw attacks that deal 1d4 sla dmg +str. As an action you can attack once with each claw. As you advance in level your claws increase in die size. 5th level d6, 11th level d8, 17th d10.
Quadruped: Your shape lets you move on all four limbs as long as your hands aren’t carrying anything. If you do you gain +10ft speed
Your DC for abilities that have saving throws is 8 + proficiency + con.

As you advance in level you gain access to higher level Tiers of augments available to you. The amount of shape points and augment costs is equal to its Tier level.

-Keen Smell: You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

-Charge: If you move at least 20 ft. straight toward a target and then hit it with a claw attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 3 (1d6) slashing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

-Strong: You get advantage on strength based skill checks and saving throws.

-Nimble: You gain +10ft movement speed.

-Relentless. If you take damage that would reduce it to 0 hit points, it is reduced to 1 hit point instead. You may only use this ability once per long rest.

-Tail: You gain a tail that you may use to attack with, it deals 1d8+STR bludgeoning damage and has 10ft reach. You also have advantage again being knocked prone.

-Adaptable: Gain resistance to one of the following damage types; fire, lightning, cold, acid, or poison. You may select this augment multiple times, selecting a different damage type each time.

-Wolf’s Bite: Gain a bite attack that deals 1d6 prc dmg +str. After attacking with your Beast Claws you may use a bonus action to attack with your bite attack as well

-Camouflage: You have advantage on stealth checks.

-Tough Hide: +2 AC and 1d12 temporary hit points

-Venom: As a bonus action you can produce poison in your mouth and apply it to your next attack this turn (may be applied to a melee weapon or ammunition piece). This deals 3d6 poison damage or half on a successful Con save. If the poison is not used up by the end of your turn, it becomes inert and is harmless.

-Pack Tactics: You have advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of your allies is within 5 ft. of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
-Toxin: As a bonus action you can produce poison in your mouth and apply it to your next attack this turn (may be applied to a melee weapon or ammunition piece). If you strike a target they must make successful Constitution save or be paralyzed. The target may make an additional save at the end of each of their turns, ending the paralysis on a successful save, otherwise the effect lasts for 1 minute. If the poison is not used up by the end of your turn, it becomes inert and is harmless. You may use this ability up to 3 times per long rest.
-Spider Climb: The spider can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
-Rampage: When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on your turn, you can take a bonus action to move up to half your speed and make a claw attack attack.

-Honed Claws: Your claw attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

-Increase size: While shifted, you become Large sized, your natural attacks deal an additional 1d4 dmg.

-Amphibious: gain the ability to hold your breath for 1 hour and 30ft swim speed

-Digging Claws: Gain a burrow speed of 10 ft

-Echolocation: Gain blindsight 60tf as long as you’re not deafened.

-Plated: Gain +3 AC and 2d12 temporary hit points.

-Breath Weapon: As an action you can breath out a 30ft cone of fire that deals 1d6 fire damage per ½ your level (rounded up), half as much on a successful Dex saving throw. Recharge (6).

-Tail Spikes: You gain a tail covered in razor sharp quills. As an action you may launch a quill to make a ranged weapon attack (using str + proficiency) at one target within 100ft. The tail spike deals 1d8+str piercing damage.

-Dragon’s Maw: As Wolf’s Bite, but you also deal an additional 1d6 fire, lightning, cold or acid damage (your choice when selection this augment)

-Flight: Grow wings and gain a flight speed of 30ft.

-Sturdy: Gain immunity to up to 3 conditions from the following list. Poisoned, charmed, blinded, deafened, frightened, paralyzed, petrified.

-Dragon Scales: +4 AC +4d12 temporary hit points.

-Roar: As an action you emit a magical roar. Each creature within 100 feet of you and able to hear the roar must make a saving throw, you may exclude any number of creatures you can see. Each creature that fails a Wisdom saving throw is frightened for 1 minute. A frightened creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Alternatively you may make a focused lance of sound. All creatures within a 100ft line must make a constitution saving throw or take 8d10 thunder damage, be deafened and be knocked prone. On a successful save a creature only takes half as much damage and isn’t deafened or knocked prone.

-Heated Body: A creature that touches you or hits you with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 2d6 fire damage.

-Dragon’s Breath: As an action you can breath out a 30ft cone of fire that deals 1d6 fire, cold, lightning or acid (you choose each time you use this ability) damage per your level , half as much on a successful Dex saving throw. Recharge (6).

-Petrifying Gaze: As an action, you stare down a target within 60ft. If the target fails a Constitution saving throw, it is petrified. The target may make an additional saving throw at the end of their turns, on a success the petrification ends. If the target can’t succeed after 1 minute it is permanently petrified. You may use this 3 times per long rest.

-Magic Resistance: You have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

JNAProductions
2020-12-15, 01:48 PM
First off, I did a Shapeshifter Class (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?599959-Shapeshifter-Class) a while ago. Feel free to take inspiration!

Now, on to critiquing yours. Actually, looking at it... Is it complete? I see dead levels and not many features.

Also, helpful resource for formatting (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?521278-Preset-Class-Tables-for-5e-Homebrew).

desero clades
2020-12-15, 03:13 PM
First off, I did a Shapeshifter Class (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?599959-Shapeshifter-Class) a while ago. Feel free to take inspiration!

Now, on to critiquing yours. Actually, looking at it... Is it complete? I see dead levels and not many features.

Also, helpful resource for formatting (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?521278-Preset-Class-Tables-for-5e-Homebrew).

Nah its not done, i just wanted some feedback before I continued any further.

JNAProductions
2020-12-15, 03:15 PM
Nah its not done, i just wanted some feedback before I continued any further.

I would complete it. You can't critique properly what isn't done.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-12-15, 04:05 PM
Dragon’s Maw might be a little more interesting if it added a d6 breath weapon damage instead of just upping damage.

I created a Monster class with a bunch of form related features. Have a look of you like for some inspiration for mechanics:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o_0nDYI2C0V37tX0lvckxgKBpAG0SSBy/view?usp=drivesdk

desero clades
2020-12-15, 05:00 PM
Dragon’s Maw might be a little more interesting if it added a d6 breath weapon damage instead of just upping damage.

I created a Monster class with a bunch of form related features. Have a look of you like for some inspiration for mechanics:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o_0nDYI2C0V37tX0lvckxgKBpAG0SSBy/view?usp=drivesdk

Oh i like that! I'll change that right now!