PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with one month of downtime?

Klorox
2020-12-16, 09:41 AM
I’ve never experienced this mechanic in 5e.

I’m playing a dragonborn paladin that just hit 3rd level.

How can I best utilize my month of downtime?

Thanks!

Tanarii
2020-12-16, 09:45 AM
Pit fighting. It's easy money.

Keltest
2020-12-16, 09:46 AM
A lot of that depends on your DM and setting. Are you in a city? Is it a magic rich setting? Are you wealthy?

If you answered yes to all of those, you can go magic item shopping. Xanathar's Guide has tables to use specifically for this, if its available. Barring that, you could ask your DM if you could train in a feat or something similar, though many DMs wouldnt allow this for game balance reasons.

Depending on your skills, you could also work for coin, though in high magic settings this quickly becomes a waste of time, as a magic rich adventurer works on an entirely different financial scale. You could integrate yourself into society, listen to rumors, build contacts, get drunk, cause trouble... Like much of 5e, framework exists for a pretty wide range of things you could do, if you can imagine it. At the end of the day, i think the big question you should ask is "what would my character do if he had a month of vacation from work?" and go from there.

Klorox
2020-12-16, 10:19 AM
A lot of that depends on your DM and setting. Are you in a city? Is it a magic rich setting? Are you wealthy?

If you answered yes to all of those, you can go magic item shopping. Xanathar's Guide has tables to use specifically for this, if its available. Barring that, you could ask your DM if you could train in a feat or something similar, though many DMs wouldnt allow this for game balance reasons.

Depending on your skills, you could also work for coin, though in high magic settings this quickly becomes a waste of time, as a magic rich adventurer works on an entirely different financial scale. You could integrate yourself into society, listen to rumors, build contacts, get drunk, cause trouble... Like much of 5e, framework exists for a pretty wide range of things you could do, if you can imagine it. At the end of the day, i think the big question you should ask is "what would my character do if he had a month of vacation from work?" and go from there.
I’d say we don’t have too much money, because I think I have a level appropriate splint mail, not plate mail yet (I know, even by pooling group funds, I’m over 1000 gp away from being able to afford it).

I don’t think it’s a particularly magic rich game, 3 out of 4 party members have minor items, nothing more than uncommon, and also some potions.

Earning some cash isn’t a bad idea. If there’s a way to get some skills or something like that in a month that would be decent too.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

stoutstien
2020-12-16, 10:29 AM
Up to each table/DM. I would come up with a a list of what you would like to do and go over them with the DM to see which are valid and the risk/reward of each option.

Do you have any tool proficiencies or factions you have a particular infinity for?

Unoriginal
2020-12-16, 10:34 AM
I’ve never experienced this mechanic in 5e.

I’m playing a dragonborn paladin that just hit 3rd level.

How can I best utilize my month of downtime?

Thanks!

Could you tell us what your proficiencies are, please?

Hytheter
2020-12-16, 10:54 AM
Pit fighting. It's easy money.

To be fair, that definitely depends strongly on what kind of money the DM is handing out, which can vary wildly between tables IME. Pit Fighting yields up to 200gp; whether that's worth the time or not will depend on what kind of cash you're normally pulling.

Demonslayer666
2020-12-16, 11:09 AM
Customize weapons, clothing, armor, and gear.
Look for unique shops.
Make new contacts, allies, and friends.
Volunteer your time at the temple or helping those in need.
Look for the next mission/quest.
Practice your skills.
Have a good time, check out the local bars, sightsee, eat hearty meals.
Enter a jousting/sword fighting tournament.
Do research, pray.

Tanarii
2020-12-16, 04:29 PM
To be fair, that definitely depends strongly on what kind of money the DM is handing out, which can vary wildly between tables IME. Pit Fighting yields up to 200gp; whether that's worth the time or not will depend on what kind of cash you're normally pulling.
Sure. But my point was checks are pretty easy to make for any warrior type PC.

Klorox
2020-12-16, 07:32 PM
Could you tell us what your proficiencies are, please?

Athletics
Persuasion
Intimidation
Survival (? - whatever the outlander background gives you)

I also have 8 in INT/WIS. He's a dumb, jolly jock type.

Gignere
2020-12-16, 07:34 PM
Athletics
Persuasion
Intimidation

Pit fighting and once you have enough money shopping for magic items.

Unoriginal
2020-12-16, 08:08 PM
Athletics
Persuasion
Intimidation

No tool or game proficiency either?

Klorox
2020-12-16, 08:12 PM
No tool or game proficiency either?

I do have cartographer tool proficiency

Temperjoke
2020-12-16, 08:30 PM
Well, what is something that your character would do with a month of no planned work? You mentioned that he's a paladin, would he spend that time doing work for his local church? Would he be trying to create a local branch of his church if one doesn't exist? A number of people mentioned pit fighting, is he the sort that would do that type of thing?

Now, what caused the month of downtime? Are your characters waiting for something to happen? Or is the party between adventures? If you're waiting for something to happen, spending that month training and researching things related to the upcoming action wouldn't be bad. Like for example "Our expedition will be departing in a month for this jungle continent. Maybe I should look into what sort of creatures we'll find there, or maybe what sort of survival tricks we'll need there?"

MrStabby
2020-12-16, 08:55 PM
Write some songs
Start a family
Write to your relatives
Have a crisis of confidence
Finish that novel
Pose for a painting
Research your family tree
Plant an actual tree and water it in
Trade insultswith a foppish cleric

I find that the most interesting activities are those that give the DM potential plot hooks.

kingcheesepants
2020-12-16, 10:10 PM
I have a paladin player that likes to perform weddings during his downtime (just the religious services activity but with a specific focus) it nets a little money and can also be a good way to ingratiate yourself with the community (both the church and the family/friends of the couple) and serve as a potential way to get some plot hooks. If you don't have anything particular to research or buy (or if your character isn't the type to plan ahead like that) and if you aren't keen on just fighting random things during your break from adventuring (and honestly pit fighting is def not a paladiny type of activity), I'd recommend it. Although with a whole month, you might want to focus on doing something a bit more long term. Maybe build a church or pick up a language, tool or skill proficiency. A month might not be long enough depending on what the actual tool or skill is but you can maybe get something basic or just a start (half proficiency isn't a thing, but maybe it could be at your table like it is at mine).

Unoriginal
2020-12-18, 08:22 AM
I do have cartographer tool proficiency

You could draw the maps of the areas you explored while adventuring, and/or write about them.

Kane0
2020-12-18, 03:58 PM
Bake a whole bunch of bread

Quietus
2020-12-19, 02:15 AM
Grow several Awakened Shrubs with Pots of Awakening (common magic item, Xanathar's)

Naanomi
2020-12-19, 02:29 AM
Slowly blow all your cash on cheap booze and cheaper women like a real adventurer

da newt
2020-12-19, 02:52 PM
Sell your lay on hands for profit (advertise and allow folks to bid) or charity.

Purchase a tavern, inn, and/or brothel - become a small business owner for long term wealth.

Do some bounty hunting, guard duty, cage fighting (as mentioned by others), monster hunting, ...

Join a local guild.

Go fishing.

Get a dog, train it.

Plant apple trees - like 50 / day.

Take on a squire / sidekick.

Build a small simple cabin on a lake.

Find an expert, take lessons.

Tanarii
2020-12-19, 03:28 PM
Slowly blow all your cash on cheap booze and cheaper women like a real adventurer
If you use the carousing downtime rules, you might even get some lower class contacts. Are far more fun, interesting complications!

Sandeman
2020-12-19, 03:39 PM
In a campaign a while back, we were having some downtime. People were buying magic items and this and that.
I could have done that too but my halforc fighter instead spent 10k gold (most of my savings) on buying a rather large house in Waterdeep.
The other party members got exited and each asked if they could have one room there to live in. Which they were given. (I had lots of rooms)

A few years after the campaign, no one remembers what items people bought but everyone remembers that house.

Do something creative during your downtime.