PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5 Monster equipment dumpster dive

liquidformat
2020-12-16, 10:10 AM
Hi All, I am playing as an Ambush Drake in my upcoming game and wanted to see what good equipment there is out there for monster races, please suggest things you think are good options for a monster character.

Here is what I have so far:

Claws of Ripper (Dr)
Gemstone of Fortification (Dr)
Gorget of Tempest Breath (Dr)
Jaws of the Dragon (Dr)
Pectroral of Maneuverability (Dr)
Dragonslayer Claws (DM)
Psychoactive Skin (MIC)
Ghoul gauntlets (MIC)

What other good items are out there for more monstrous creatures?

Build notes for reference:
So I'm using Ambush Drake web Article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060728a) which messes with the ability score bonuses but gives you +0 LA, I also have the shadow creature template and we are gestalting rhd and LA up to level 10 and I couldn't find a +1 template that I qualified for, wanted, and worked with the character theme. For the build I went with Bear Totem Barbarian 3/unarmed Swordsage 4/Fist of the Forest 3/Thayan Gladiator 2 and we are starting at level 12 with corresponding wealth (88,000gp). I was thinking of using Thayan Gladiator to focus on my bite attack. I saw fanged ring but sadly it doesn't help me but I was planning on using Monk's belt and debating boosting my wis, con, and str scores. for ability scores we can't have any score that is double our min score after racial adjustment though magic can boost them beyond that. So my scores are Str 18 Dex 18 Con 20 Int 16 Wis 12 Cha 11. taken power attack, Adaptive Style, Extra Rage, and still milling over options for level 12 feat.

daremetoidareyo
2020-12-16, 11:18 AM
Tail scythe from savage species?

liquidformat
2020-12-16, 11:23 AM
Tail scythe from savage species?

True I think there are also some tail blades and clubs in savage species, but will have to look when I am home... also forgot about the tail slam item from dm will have to add that too.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-16, 12:08 PM
What's your effective LA for playing an ambush drake, what level are you starting at, how much money do you have to spend, and what classes do you plan on taking?

You'll want to consider some source of at-will no light (a spell from the BoVD) and a ring of the darkhidden (Magic of Faerun). You have darkvision, so no light won't hamper you, and the ring will give you improved invisibility against anything trying to see you via darkvision in the cloud of darkness.

You're a dragon, so if you want to carry a hoard around with you, grab an enveloping pit (MIC). Even better if you have a handy haversack enhanced as an enveloping pit (so three 10' x 10' x 50' haversack spaces you can reach into and draw an item from as a move action). That much storage space will let you strip dungeons to the bedrock so you can sell it to keep your bed of gold ever-growing.

A shadow cloak (Drow of the Underdark) is basically a 3/day immediate action 20% concealment OR abrupt jaunt. Y'know, that crazy-good class feature that conjurer wizards get that can negate any hit you can see coming.

A tooth of Leraje (Tome of Magic) can replace one of your regular teeth. A 20 hour greater magic weapon is nice on its own, but it's also a magic item, so feel free to add other effects to it, such as permanencied fog spells that take effect when you open your maw, or ioun stone effects. You have a bite attack, so feel free to enhance the tooth as a weapon, too, so you can bite with it. Note that since it's now a weapon that affects your bite attack, you can use its own greater magic weapon to give it a +5 enhancement bonus to your bite attack. Adding defending to boost your AC, spell storing to give your bite extra oomph, and maybe spellblade, to reflect spells at attackers (see: greater dispel magic).

A fanged ring (Dragon Magic) gives Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack (IUS), which complements your natural attack routine very, very well. And if you have a decent Wis score, you can couple this with a monk's belt to pretend to be a monk, even if you're a cleric or something.

liquidformat
2020-12-16, 02:13 PM
What's your effective LA for playing an ambush drake, what level are you starting at, how much money do you have to spend, and what classes do you plan on taking?

You'll want to consider some source of at-will no light (a spell from the BoVD) and a ring of the darkhidden (Magic of Faerun). You have darkvision, so no light won't hamper you, and the ring will give you improved invisibility against anything trying to see you via darkvision in the cloud of darkness.

You're a dragon, so if you want to carry a hoard around with you, grab an enveloping pit (MIC). Even better if you have a handy haversack enhanced as an enveloping pit (so three 10' x 10' x 50' haversack spaces you can reach into and draw an item from as a move action). That much storage space will let you strip dungeons to the bedrock so you can sell it to keep your bed of gold ever-growing.

A shadow cloak (Drow of the Underdark) is basically a 3/day immediate action 20% concealment OR abrupt jaunt. Y'know, that crazy-good class feature that conjurer wizards get that can negate any hit you can see coming.

A tooth of Leraje (Tome of Magic) can replace one of your regular teeth. A 20 hour greater magic weapon is nice on its own, but it's also a magic item, so feel free to add other effects to it, such as permanencied fog spells that take effect when you open your maw, or ioun stone effects. You have a bite attack, so feel free to enhance the tooth as a weapon, too, so you can bite with it. Note that since it's now a weapon that affects your bite attack, you can use its own greater magic weapon to give it a +5 enhancement bonus to your bite attack. Adding defending to boost your AC, spell storing to give your bite extra oomph, and maybe spellblade, to reflect spells at attackers (see: greater dispel magic).

A fanged ring (Dragon Magic) gives Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack (IUS), which complements your natural attack routine very, very well. And if you have a decent Wis score, you can couple this with a monk's belt to pretend to be a monk, even if you're a cleric or something.

So I'm using Ambush Drake web Article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060728a) which messes with the ability score bonuses but gives you +0 LA, I also have the shadow creature template and we are gestalting rhd and LA up to level 10 and I couldn't find a +1 template that I qualified for, wanted, and worked with the character theme. For the build I went with Bear Totem Barbarian 3/unarmed Swordsage 4/Fist of the Forest 3/Thayan Gladiator 2 and we are starting at level 12 with corresponding wealth (88,000gp). I was thinking of using Thayan Gladiator to focus on my bite attack. I saw fanged ring but sadly it doesn't help me but I was planning on using Monk's belt and debating boosting my wis, con, and str scores. for ability scores we can't have any score that is double our min score after racial adjustment though magic can boost them beyond that. So my scores are Str 18 Dex 18 Con 20 Int 16 Wis 12 Cha 11.

Thurbane
2020-12-16, 04:20 PM
Don't know if this will help much: Items for Nonhumanoid Creatures (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?607945)

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-16, 04:43 PM
You could always buy spellcasting services for acorn of far travel and several castings of Sculpt Spell'd (un)hallow. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?546179-Un-Hallow-that-Stacks) Depending on the size of the tree, you could have dozens of buffs at your clawtips that you have on at all times, and it lasts at least a year (assuming no slow flowing time or timeless-with-regards-to-magic demiplanes).

liquidformat
2020-12-17, 11:29 PM
Found a few more hunting through Savage species that weren't list:

Horseshoes of Flame: turn an ordinary horse into a nightmare 3/day for 7hr each time, 30,240gp. It doesn't actually change the horse into a nightmare just allows you to fly adds some ability bonuses and fire damage to attacks. pretty cool and you can keep it on your horse for almost a full day...

Ring of Growth: 1/day increase a size category for 9 min (true size change) 18,000gp. Its nice that it is a true size increase but seems a bit expensive for 1/day for 9 min
Ring of Shrinking: 1/day decrease a size category for 9 min (true size change) 3,600gp. True size change down a size category but seems a bit more expensive than the alternatives...
Beast Claws: +1 spiked guantlets that give you two claw attacks 1d4/x2 slashing for medium character or give you a +2 enhancement bonus to your claws and +1d6 damage. 9,610gp
Necklace of Natural Weapons add whatever you want to any natural weapon. 600gp + (weapon mod x number of natural attacks for it to affect).
Reading Through Magic of Faerun I am seeing some interesting things too

Bracers of Striking: add whatever mods you want to your unarmed strike price is 1,310gp+ price of mods

Morty_Jhones
2020-12-18, 07:43 PM
Since your playing a dragon Kin race I would Talk to your Gm about Alternat Slot usage since as a beast form there are alot of equipment slots you can't use, like Boots.

So before starting make shure your Gm is ok with you using rings on your claws for example and such, espeshaly since the race dosn't have hands.

I would also recomend any item/ability/spell that alows you to comunicate with the rest of the party since you also don't have any langages. Sitting there in silence and just glaring during a game may be drematic and Bold for a bit but not being albe to talk to anyone will quickly get boring.

Thurbane
2020-12-18, 08:33 PM
Assuming an Ambush Drake has the normal dragon slots:

Because magic items that must be worn will fit users of any size, a dragon can use any magic item a humanoid character can.
A dragon can use a headband, hat, or helmet normally. In some cases, an item of this kind can be specially made for a dragon in the form of a crown, diadem, or skullcap. For example, a dragon’s helm of telepathy may be in the form of a skullcap of telepathy.
Goggles and lenses made for dragons usually come in the form of cusps that fit over the dragon’s eyes, or lenses the dragon places directly on its eyes, much like modern contact lenses. A humanoid character can use any special dragon item of this kind without difficulty.
A dragon can wear a cloak, cape, or mantle on its back, usually between the wings. Items of this sort can come in the form of a frill stud or spine cap instead. A humanoid character can use a frill stud or spine cap by affixing it to a cloak, cape, or mantle.
A dragon wears amulets, brooches, medallions, necklaces, and periapts around its neck, just as a humanoid does.
A dragon is not proficient with any kind of armor and usually does not bother wearing armor. In any case, armor crafted for a humanoid does not fit a dragon’s body. Armor created for a dragon resembles barding and will not fit a humanoid, but will fit a quadruped of the same size as the dragon.
A dragon can wear a robe over its shoulders and upper chest. In some cases, a item of this kind can be specially made for a dragon in the form of a collar or epaulette. A humanoid can wear such an item without difficulty.
A dragon can wear a vest, vestment, or shirt draped around its wings and lower chest. In some cases, a item of this kind can be specially made for a dragon in the form of a pectoral stud or a belly stud. A humanoid can wear a magical dragon pectoral stud as though it were a vest. It can wear a belly stud in its navel.
A dragon can fit bracers or bracelets over its lower forelimbs.
A dragon can wear gloves or gauntlets on its forefeet. Specially made dragon gauntlets usually have no fingers, just holes for the dragon’s claws. A humanoid can wear magical dragon gauntlets without difficulty.
A dragon can wear rings on its front claws.
A dragon can wear a belt around its midsection. Sometimes, items of this kind take the form of bands the dragon wears on its hips. A humanoid can wear such items without difficulty.
A dragon can wear boots on its hind feet. Specially made dragon boots usually resemble a dragon’s gauntlets, but are shaped for the hind foot. These magic items also fit humanoid feet.
None of these items interferes with a dragon’s movement, including flight.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-18, 08:36 PM
Are ambush drakes considered true dragons? Do they gain power through age categories?

If so, depending on age category, you might be able to take epic feats you otherwise qualify for, even if you're not epic yourself.

hamishspence
2020-12-19, 02:40 AM
It is safe to say that they're Lesser Dragons, like the Drakes in Draconomicon.

liquidformat
2020-12-20, 09:39 PM
I would also recomend any item/ability/spell that alows you to comunicate with the rest of the party since you also don't have any langages. Sitting there in silence and just glaring during a game may be drematic and Bold for a bit but not being albe to talk to anyone will quickly get boring.

Ambush drakes specifically can speak they are normally just rather dumb with -4 int and only speak draconic. Also DM confirmed I get dragon slots as this is a lesser dragon and monster entry does talk about them using items...

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-20, 09:52 PM
A +1 sizing/morphing riverine poison ring (Dragon Compendium) is incredibly useful and versatile, and it's completely indestructible outside of disintegration effects. You can also apply riverine for free, since rings have no listed weight.

SnugUndies
2020-12-27, 10:38 PM
Assuming you're playing a monster with a bite attack, that opens up the possibility of mouthpick weapons. A peculiar weapon enhancement from Lords of Madness, this +1 bonus lets you wield the weapon in your mouth, and even gain iterative attacks with it, so long as you have a natural bite attack for it to replace. For what it's worth, it also grants you automatic proficiency with the weapon (mostly because it was designed to be used by things like Beholders, who don't get martial weapon proficiencies.)