PDA

View Full Version : Fix to true strike 5e

Tokeull
2020-12-16, 10:37 AM
We all know true strike is bad. Would a simple way to fix it, be you can give another person advantage insted? That way it gives you a way to use help on 30 feet range. Nice for a caster with low ac and hp. What are you thinking? Would you ever take thise version?

Garfunion
2020-12-16, 11:31 AM
That is what a familiar is for.

Deepbluediver
2020-12-16, 11:32 AM
We all know true strike is bad. Would a simple way to fix it, be you can give another person advantage instead? That way it gives you a way to use help on 30 feet range. Nice for a caster with low ac and hp. What are you thinking? Would you ever take this version?
Since the only use for this is basically to help kill a creature, that's the comparison you have to make- is this action the best action I can take that makes the target's HP go down the fastest? And since most caster spell lists include damaging Cantrips like Fire Bolt or Acid Spray, that's what your alternatives are. If the target is resistant to your magic, and/or your melee ally has their own ability to burn, like Smite, it might situationally useful but probably still not enough to attract players.

True Strike is a bit like Bardic Inspiration, except for 2 major points: Bardic Inspiration can be used as a Bonus action, and has a limited number of uses at a time. Cantrips don't have limited uses, and if you started playing around with the action economy I worry that you could very easily push the spell from being underwhelming to OP.

So maybe we could brain-storm other ways to improve True Strike.
Having advantage on a roll is roughly the equivalent to a +3 bonus, so you could up the benefit to attack rolls to +5 or +whatever you felt was appropriate for spending 2 rounds worth of actions.
Or you could have the spell increase damage as well as the attack roll, like an extra 1d4 damage for 1-handers and 1d6 for 2-handed weapons.
Or maybe figure out a way for the spell to improve attacks against invisible or incorporeal enemies, both things a player might struggle with if they don't have the right magic prepared.
Or you find other parts of the spell to mess with, such as the duration- if you upped that to "the next attack within 1 minute", then it could become part of a pre-ambush buff sequence, instead of something used while in the middle of a fight.
Or any combination of the above; with enough separately situational effects the spell might be a little wordy, but it would improve the frequency of it's use to where people would consider it alongside other more generic options.

Those are just some ideas I'm tossing out- my sense of balance in 5th edition is iffy at best, so I welcome all criticism in response.

Edit: As a followup, let me offer my own alternative.
Change the spell that it uses a bonus action BUT make it so that instead of giving you advantage on attack rolls, instead it negates the disadvantage for Invisible creatures and also negates the damage resistance for Incorporeal creatures. That kind of effect might seem underwhelming as a spell, but as a Cantrip it provides an alternative to having to prepare things like Faerie Fire or Thunderwave. Then you can decide if it should be able to be cast on an Ally, which would make it useful to any kind of support-caster, or keep it as self-only so that it's restricted to certain subsets of caster-builds like Bards or Bladesingers or melee-focused Warlocks.
And then its usefulness partly comes down to how often you GM likes to throw those kinds of enemies at you :P

MoiMagnus
2020-12-16, 11:55 AM
If you're interested in previous discussion on this subject, a similar thread was started last month:
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?623302-The-uselessness-of-True-Strike-can-it-even-be-fixed
And also 6 month ago:
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?613305-Fixing-True-Strike
And plenty of other times before in the 5e subforum
[EDIT: I put a link to this search, but the forum doesn't seems to encode that correctly, so if you're interested in the list of result, just do an advanced search for "true strike" in the title of posts]

Garfunion
2020-12-16, 01:05 PM
Change the spell that it uses a bonus action BUT make it so that instead of giving you advantage on attack rolls, instead it negates the disadvantage for Invisible creatures and also negates the damage resistance for Incorporeal creatures. That kind of effect might seem underwhelming as a spell, but as a Cantrip it provides an alternative to having to prepare things like Faerie Fire or Thunderwave. Then you can decide if it should be able to be cast on an Ally, which would make it useful to any kind of support-caster, or keep it as self only so that it's restricted to certain subsets of caster-builds like Bards or Bladesingers or some melee-focused Warlocks.
And then its usefulness partly comes down to how often you GM likes to throw those kinds of enemies at you :P
This actually seems like a good idea perhaps even turning it into a weapon attack cantrip similar to booming blade and greenflame blade.

Deepbluediver
2020-12-16, 04:03 PM
If you're interested in previous discussion on this subject, a similar thread was started last month:
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?623302-The-uselessness-of-True-Strike-can-it-even-be-fixed
And also 6 month ago:
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?613305-Fixing-True-Strike
And plenty of other times before in the 5e subforum:
https://forums.giantitp.com/search.php?searchid=312211
I think it's kinda impressive how much time and energy the community seems willing to devote to fix a single quirky cantrip. It's like True Strike is the LONELIEST PUPPY and everyone just wants to make everything better for it. :smallbiggrin:

Anywho, at least one other person in those threads also said that making the original version just a straight bonus action would probably be OP, so I'm glad I at least got that much right. Otherwise there seemed to be a bunch of posts discussing if it should improve the attack bonus more or damage and how to balance it, especially when it comes to scaling. I don't think it would be hard to make a damage-bonus scale on a similar rate as other cantrips (5th, 11th, 17th, etc) if that's the route you want to go, but what I liked about my idea was that it would fill a slightly different niche I think, especially if you could use it on someone else besides the caster.

This actually seems like a good idea perhaps even turning it into a weapon attack cantrip similar to booming blade and greenflame blade.
If that's the easiest way to work it mechanically, sure. I've never used either of those before, but wasn't there something about the way they worked that people didn't like (or thought was cheesy) so they changed the mechanics or the rues in the latest supplement?

Anyway, if you want to use my idea and be able to target other people then I think it should stay as a Bonus action spell, but if you want it to be self-only then you make it the attack-action version and you get to keep your bonus actions for other things. One of those is obviously more support-based than the other, but I think they both have appeal.

Edit: I just went back to reread True Strike, having never actually used myself, and I realized that while I've been thinking of it just like a buff to yourself or a teammate, actually it targets a particular enemy. Not a big deal some of the time, but it could make a difference situationally, for example if you have to pick an enemy who then dies before you get to attack (in the original version, any way). It also opens up other options though, I think, such as making it a debuff where the enemy is vulnerable for multiple attacks. For example, you might change it so that the cantrip stays an action but the next 2 attacks against the enemy have advantage, rising to 3 attacks at level 5, 4 attacks at level 11, and 5 attacks at level 17.
Just another off-the-cuff idea if people want to play around with it.

MoiMagnus
2020-12-17, 04:58 AM
True Strike is a spell:
(1) With no immediate effect (so not appropriate to desperate situations where you might die next turn)
(2) With a delayed effect that has to be correctly anticipated (the enemy is chosen in advance, so if the situation change and you want to attack another enemy, too bad for you)
(3) At concentration (so if you get hit between the two turns, you might lose the effect AND you cannot use it if you concentrate on another spell)
(4) At short range of an enemy (so you cannot cast it from a safe position)
(5) With no flexibility (it's the first attack of next round, no opportunity attack, not multiple round latter, no casting on an ally, ...)
(6) With an effect that doesn't stack with other bonuses (advantages do not cumulate)

Putting it at a BA solves a lot of issues, but makes it a must have for classes that don't have a use of their BA yet.

Since I'm feeling some inspiration, here is my new suggestion:

True Strike
Cantrip Divination
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Components: S
Duration: Concentration, Up to 1 round
Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Your magic grants you a brief insight into the next few seconds of the fight. Until the spell end, any Attack roll made against you has disadvantage, and you make Dexterity Saving Throws with advantage. You lose this benefit if you are Incapacitated or if your speed drops to 0. On your next turn, you gain advantage on your first attack roll, provided that this spell hasn’t ended.

=> This is a dodge action that works against unseen attackers and that additionally grand a single advantage, at the cost of concentration (and knowing this cantrip).

Deepbluediver
2020-12-17, 09:18 PM
True Strike
Cantrip Divination
Range: Personal
Duration: Concentration, Up to 1 round
Your magic grants you a brief insight into the next few seconds of the fight. Until the spell end, any Attack roll made against you has disadvantage, and you make Dexterity Saving Throws with advantage. You lose this benefit if you are Incapacitated or if your speed drops to 0. On your next turn, you gain advantage on your first attack roll, provided that this spell hasn’t ended.

=> This is a dodge action that works against unseen attackers and that additionally grand a single advantage, at the cost of concentration (and knowing this cantrip).
I think that's a neat idea, but it changes the spell from being offensively-oriented to being defensive. IMO (which could of course be wrong), that's the sort of thing that warrants a name-change and it's own, separate, cantrip.
Caster aren't, in my experience, usually making a lot of AoO so maybe having a cantrip that's a Reaction instead could fill a needed niche. In place of taking the Warcaster feat, anyway.

Garfunion
2020-12-17, 11:46 PM
True Strike
Transmutation cantrip

Range: self (60 feet)
Components: V, M (a weapon worth at least 1sp)

Duration: 1 round

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make an attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, treating the damage as magical for the purpose of overcoming damage resistance. Additionally the attack does not suffer disadvantage if the target is invisible and ignores the penalty for half cover and 3/4 cover.

The spell does additional damage at higher levels. At 5th level, the attack deals an extra 1d8 force damage to the target, at 11th (2d8) force damage, and at 17th level (3d8) force damage.

Segev
2020-12-22, 12:17 PM
My own fix for it would be to make its range unlimited and able to target creatures that aren’t hidden from you, and make it first remove Disadvantage before adding Advantage.

This means that you will always have Advantage on the attack, even if it would normally be impossible due to inherent circumstances that add Disadvantage.

Shooting at long range at a target you can’t see (but have correctly guessed the square of)? You still shoot with advantage.

Yakk
2020-12-22, 04:11 PM
True Strike
Transmutation cantrip

Range: self
Components: M (a piece of paper with arcane symbols written on it)
Duration: 1 round (concentration)

Select a creature that is not hidden from you. While the spell is active the creature cannot hide from you; you know where it is, even if you cannot see it (this does not remove disadvantage from not being able to see it). On your next turn you gain advantage on your first attack on it, that attack ignores cover, and it deals an additional die of damage if it hits. At level 5 it deals 2 additional dice of damage, at level 11 3 additional dice of damage, and at level 17 4 additional dice of damage. The extra dice of damage can be any die of damage associated with the attack.

---

A true strike + firebolt combo attack is now viable sustained damage at the cost of delaying the damage, concentration, and tactical risks.

The range limitation has been removed, so you can use it on a 500' bowshot, which is thematic. It is great in ambushes.

You can cast it on an invisible creature that has lost the hidden state, and track it for a turn.

A dip to gain it isn't very good; 4dX isn't usually worth giving up an attack for most damaging builds, unless your alternative was using a cantrip.

Stattick
2020-12-23, 08:09 AM
My fix:

True Strike
Divination Cantrip
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Up to 1 round
You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defenses. You gain advantage against the target. The spell ends when you hit the target with an attack, or at the end of your next turn.

Reasoning: Removed Concentration. Doubled range. The value of the spell increases greatly without needing concentration & doubled range, and even then, it's still lackluster. You now make EVERY attack roll against that target with advantage, until you hit, or until the end of your next turn. So you could use True Strike on a target in front of you. It moves away from you on it's turn. You have advantage to hit. If you miss, and you have multiple attacks, on your turn, you move up to the target and every attack you make against the target on that turn is made with advantage, until you connect.

Deepbluediver
2020-12-23, 06:29 PM
True Strike
Transmutation cantrip

Range: self (60 feet)
Components: V, M (a weapon worth at least 1sp)

Duration: 1 round

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make an attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, treating the damage as magical for the purpose of overcoming damage resistance. Additionally the attack does not suffer disadvantage if the target is invisible and ignores the penalty for half cover and 3/4 cover.

The spell does additional damage at higher levels. At 5th level, the attack deals an extra 1d8 force damage to the target, at 11th (2d8) force damage, and at 17th level (3d8) force damage.
I like this version- I feel it's straightforward and adds utility without being so good that it's necessary or over-powers basic melee builds at higher levels.

The only question I have is, if it's "self only", why does it need a range of 60 ft? Is this so your familiar can cast it on you?

My fix:

True Strike
Divination Cantrip
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Up to 1 round
You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defenses. You gain advantage against the target. The spell ends when you hit the target with an attack, or at the end of your next turn.

Reasoning: Removed Concentration. Doubled range. The value of the spell increases greatly without needing concentration & doubled range, and even then, it's still lackluster. You now make EVERY attack roll against that target with advantage, until you hit, or until the end of your next turn. So you could use True Strike on a target in front of you. It moves away from you on it's turn. You have advantage to hit. If you miss, and you have multiple attacks, on your turn, you move up to the target and every attack you make against the target on that turn is made with advantage, until you connect.
This version, I'm not so sure about- I don't think it adds enough over the original spell. You still have to spend an action doing nothing except selecting a target (when you could just be attacking), and if that target dies then your action was wasted, and at low levels when Cantrips are most useful, most characters won't have multiple attacks.

True Strike
Transmutation cantrip

Range: self
Components: M (a piece of paper with arcane symbols written on it)
Duration: 1 round (concentration)

Select a creature that is not hidden from you. While the spell is active the creature cannot hide from you; you know where it is, even if you cannot see it (this does not remove disadvantage from not being able to see it). On your next turn you gain advantage on your first attack on it, that attack ignores cover, and it deals an additional die of damage if it hits. At level 5 it deals 2 additional dice of damage, at level 11 3 additional dice of damage, and at level 17 4 additional dice of damage. The extra dice of damage can be any die of damage associated with the attack.

---

A true strike + firebolt combo attack is now viable sustained damage at the cost of delaying the damage, concentration, and tactical risks.

The range limitation has been removed, so you can use it on a 500' bowshot, which is thematic. It is great in ambushes.

You can cast it on an invisible creature that has lost the hidden state, and track it for a turn.

A dip to gain it isn't very good; 4dX isn't usually worth giving up an attack for most damaging builds, unless your alternative was using a cantrip.
I don't feel like this one deviates enough from the original, either. It wasn't worth the action, so an ambush (when you could cast the spell before the action-economy took hold) was about the only time you'd want to use it. If that's your goal, then at least increase the duration IMO to make pre-buffing easier. That way you can cast it and walk down a hallway where you MIGHT be attacked, instead of having to hope the enemy wanders into you.

Garfunion
2020-12-23, 10:06 PM
I like this version- I feel it's straightforward and adds utility without being so good that it's necessary or over-powers basic melee builds at higher levels.

The only question I have is, if it's "self only", why does it need a range of 60 ft? Is this so your familiar can cast it on you?

To allow the use of ranged weapons. I think I will refurbish all the weapon attack cantrips to allow ranged weapons but I will be reducing the pool of weapons that can be used with the cantrips.

Deepbluediver
2020-12-24, 07:53 AM
To allow the use of ranged weapons. I think I will refurbish all the weapon attack cantrips to allow ranged weapons but I will be reducing the pool of weapons that can be used with the cantrips.
OK I see, with the way its specified you have to make the attack as you're casting the spell, so if you target is farther than the range away you can't make the attack and it fails. I get it now. In that case I might make the range even longer, but then again I favor allowing the caster to use it with any weapon (at least any weapon they are proficient with). What sort of type-limitations were you going to put on weapon-usage for cantrips?

P.S. Sorry for sort-of hijacking the OP's thread, but they weren't responding and I'm actually really interested in how this is turning out.

Garfunion
2020-12-24, 10:10 AM
OK I see, with the way its specified you have to make the attack as you're casting the spell, so if you target is farther than the range away you can't make the attack and it fails. I get it now. In that case I might make the range even longer, but then again I favor allowing the caster to use it with any weapon (at least any weapon they are proficient with). What sort of type-limitations were you going to put on weapon-usage for cantrips?

P.S. Sorry for sort-of hijacking the OP's thread, but they weren't responding and I'm actually really interested in how this is turning out.
I figured I’d reduce the weapon types to only simple weapons (Most “arcane” spellcasters have minimal simple weapon proficiencies. I would assume that they would create spells in favor of those proficiencies.) and one handed martial weapons. If I were to increase the range it probably be up to 80ft, that’s the minimum range of a shortbow.

Segev
2020-12-24, 02:36 PM
True Strike
Divination cantrip
Components: V, S
Casting time: One action
Duration: One round
Choose a creature which is not hidden from you. Your next attack before the end of your next turn against that creature loses any Disadvantage it may suffer, and gains Advantage.

Damon_Tor
2020-12-27, 03:53 PM
I played with a DM who kind of staggered me with how she treated True Strike: she actually read the whole text of the spell and treated it as if it did exactly what it said:

You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defenses. On your next turn, you gain advantage on your first attack roll against the target, provided that this spell hasn’t ended.

Emphasis mine: upon using True Strike, not only did the caster get advantage on his next attack roll, but he was told which of the creatures saves was the best, which was worst, and what vulnerabilities, resistances and immunities the target has.

Garfunion
2020-12-27, 09:33 PM
I played with a DM who kind of staggered me with how she treated True Strike: she actually read the whole text of the spell and treated it as if it did exactly what it said:

You extend your hand and point a finger at a target in range. Your magic grants you a brief insight into the target’s defenses. On your next turn, you gain advantage on your first attack roll against the target, provided that this spell hasn’t ended.

Emphasis mine: upon using True Strike, not only did the caster get advantage on his next attack roll, but he was told which of the creatures saves was the best, which was worst, and what vulnerabilities, resistances and immunities the target has.

I must admit that’s a really good interpretation.