PDA

View Full Version : Erupting Earth spell questions...

samcifer
2020-12-16, 01:04 PM
I really like the flavor of Erupting Earth, but have a few questions...

1. Does the bludgeoning damage count as magical for overcoming resistances?

2. Would it work in an environment of snow and ice (Icewind Dale campaign, specifically)?

MaxWilson
2020-12-16, 01:08 PM
Ask your DM.

My answer would be: yes, and yes. But mine doesn't matter.

Protolisk
2020-12-16, 01:09 PM
Most monsters have their resistances written as "Resistant to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks". Since Erupting Earth isn't an attack, it's not resisted by that form of resistance. Meanwhile, the Treant is flatly resistant to all bludgeoning, so that would be resistant.

RogueJK
2020-12-16, 01:22 PM
Most monsters have their resistances written as "Resistant to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks". Since Erupting Earth isn't an attack, it's not resisted by that form of resistance.

Besides, it's magical bludgeoning damage anyway. So it's not resisted for two good reasons.

Even if the B/P/S damage were based on an attack, like with the Hunter's Mark spell, the damage from the spell itself is magical B/P/S damage and isn't resisted: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/663025214926655489

Meanwhile, the Treant is flatly resistant to all bludgeoning, so that would be resistant.

Correct. There's no "nonmagical only" caveat to their Resistance.

ImproperJustice
2020-12-16, 01:32 PM
This spell can really do some damage via a Sorcerer with Empower spell and their higher chance of getting the fiddly d12s to cooperate.

Makes it scale well at higher levels.

And I agree with above posters on all accounts but your GM mileage may vary.