PDA

View Full Version : Ramming Damage?

Kalkra
2020-12-16, 02:48 PM
Are there rules anywhere for ramming damage, i.e. causing damage to a target by running to it really fast?

Gruftzwerg
2020-12-16, 03:00 PM
Are there rules anywhere for ramming damage, i.e. causing damage to a target by running to it really fast?

Charge (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#charge)and the related abilities and feats. You can even trample in d&d if that is within your intention.

If you look at a Minotaur (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/minotaur.htm), it uses a more powerful version of charge with his horns (gore attack).

Just build around charge and you'll be fine.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-12-16, 03:12 PM
It would be a charge followed by some type of attack. If you're hitting them with your body, just call it an unarmed strike.

If you have armor spikes then it would be an attack with those. PH2 has the tactical feat Blood-Spiked Charger that may be useful for this.

If you're shoving them into an obstacle, take Fighter with the Dungeoncrasher alternate class feature in Dungeonscape.

Do you have a particular build in mind, or looking for something you can use for cinematic effect?

Kalkra
2020-12-16, 04:39 PM
Do you have a particular build in mind, or looking for something you can use for cinematic effect?

I was looking for some practical use for having a ridiculously high movement speed, and I thought I remembered seeing something about being able to do a lot of damage by running really fast into something.

noob
2020-12-16, 04:56 PM
I was looking for some practical use for having a ridiculously high movement speed, and I thought I remembered seeing something about being able to do a lot of damage by running really fast into something.

I believe you can exploit this if you destroy a huge cliff by dungeon crasher bull rushing them in the cliff(you simultaneously bull rush them and dig a tunnel with their body and walk fast)

If you beat the defender’s Strength check result, you push him back 5 feet. If you wish to move with the defender, you can push him back an additional 5 feet for each 5 points by which your check result is greater than the defender’s check result. You can’t, however, exceed your normal movement limit. (Note: The defender provokes attacks of opportunity if he is moved. So do you, if you move with him. The two of you do not provoke attacks of opportunity from each other, however.)
so if you exceeds their strength check by a few hundred and have a huge walk speed and can destroy sections of cliff with dungeon crasher damage then you can do ridiculous amounts of mayhem.
So just get like a thousand points of strength and you can do exactly what you wanted(as long as there is a big obstacle to bull rush the opponent in).

tyckspoon
2020-12-16, 05:11 PM
The only mechanisms I know of that involve damage for movement are one Fiendish feat (Mark of Minauros - attack bonus based on how far you can move, can be converted to damage via Power Attack, requires being sworn to a specific demon lord) and a couple of Tome of Battle maneuvers; Setting Sun has one where you can throw somebody for every .. I think it's 10 feet you move? And there's nothing stopping you from just running in circles around the same luckless sap and repeatedly flinging him in the air.

noob
2020-12-16, 05:53 PM
If you have a lot of people to tumble around there is a feat that grants bonus when charging and tumbling proportionally to the amount of tumbling.

Gruftzwerg
2020-12-17, 12:09 AM

Are you looking for Chuck E. Cheese (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=16924331&postcount=9)? With 6,359,812,800 ft maximum movementspeed.

Either that or just any "Ubercharger" build. These are the builds that I can think of right of the bat.

Morty_Jhones
2020-12-17, 06:47 AM
there are rules for running into things (page 45 of the arms and equipment guide) but there more intended for vehicals ramming into each other than a humanoid boddyslaming each other.

This counts as an overrun and so all feats and Abilities that affect overruns can aply.

they are rather simple thiough so i can summerise here.

1d6 per size catorgry larger than meduim
+
1d6 per 10 foot traveled or per 10 fot of speed (if using a fixed turn speed such as wind powered)
+
Speachials , such as Raming Bar.

Dammage done is applyed to EVERYONE involved in the colishion.

Foot targets, but not constructs (so golums and warforged) may make a Reflexe save DC 15+1 for each 10ft moved to make a 10ft dive out of the way.

pasingers may make a Reflex save DC 10+1 per 10 ft traveled for half dammage as long as you have at least half cover from the colishion.

Constructs may use there hardness to reduce the dammage taken.

So an inatentive speedster could run down a road at 100ft in a turn and splat into someone.
the person ran into would need to make a DC 25 reflex save to avoide the bash.
if they failed then both parties would take 10d6 damage.

Kalkra
2020-12-17, 11:49 AM
Are you looking for Chuck E. Cheese (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=16924331&postcount=9)? With 6,359,812,800 ft maximum movementspeed.

Either that or just any "Ubercharger" build. These are the builds that I can think of right of the bat.

I think I was looking at some Chuck E. Cheese build that mentioned ramming damage, although none of those builds actually work.

there are rules for running into things (page 45 of the arms and equipment guide) but there more intended for vehicals ramming into each other than a humanoid boddyslaming each other.

This counts as an overrun and so all feats and Abilities that affect overruns can aply.

they are rather simple thiough so i can summerise here.

1d6 per size catorgry larger than meduim
+
1d6 per 10 foot traveled or per 10 fot of speed (if using a fixed turn speed such as wind powered)
+
Speachials , such as Raming Bar.

Dammage done is applyed to EVERYONE involved in the colishion.

Foot targets, but not constructs (so golums and warforged) may make a Reflexe save DC 15+1 for each 10ft moved to make a 10ft dive out of the way.

pasingers may make a Reflex save DC 10+1 per 10 ft traveled for half dammage as long as you have at least half cover from the colishion.

Constructs may use there hardness to reduce the dammage taken.

So an inatentive speedster could run down a road at 100ft in a turn and splat into someone.
the person ran into would need to make a DC 25 reflex save to avoide the bash.
if they failed then both parties would take 10d6 damage.

Looking at the A&EG, I can't find where you're getting any of those numbers, or anything about constructs or reflex saves. That being said, this is the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Morty_Jhones
2020-12-17, 05:35 PM
Over runn attacks are Covered In the PHB page 157 Overrun Special action

the spesifics For impacts with foot peps are covered AaQg on page 46 Running over Opponents

the damage to passingers is covered in the Page before

Also Overrun damage Is a unarmed attack (so D6 for med) and vehicals add there Size in D6 on top of this (See ramming rulles)

These numbers are also in line with falling damage which a QA said was a good rule of thumb cloishions, and the arms and equipment guide exspanded.

Also the same rules say that constructs can't make saving throws to avoide colishions, cuss I gess when they was done there was no Warforged or Golum races so the only other construct that would be geting hit was a House , a Wall or most likely, another Vehical.
take this little one up with your GM.

Kalkra
2020-12-18, 01:09 AM
Over runn attacks are Covered In the PHB page 157 Overrun Special action

the spesifics For impacts with foot peps are covered AaQg on page 46 Running over Opponents

the damage to passingers is covered in the Page before

Also Overrun damage Is a unarmed attack (so D6 for med) and vehicals add there Size in D6 on top of this (See ramming rulles)

These numbers are also in line with falling damage which a QA said was a good rule of thumb cloishions, and the arms and equipment guide exspanded.

Also the same rules say that constructs can't make saving throws to avoide colishions, cuss I gess when they was done there was no Warforged or Golum races so the only other construct that would be geting hit was a House , a Wall or most likely, another Vehical.
take this little one up with your GM.

First of all, Overrun doesn't usually deal any damage, unless you have the Trample feat, in which case you can make one hoof attack. Second of all, unarmed attacks deal 1d3 for a medium creature, 1d4 for a large creature, 1d6 for huge, etc.

From what I can see, each vehicle has its own ramming damage, which is fixed, despite many vehicles having a speed dependent on either the wind or on the draft animals. That's the damage which is dealt to whatever is run over, which is independent of the 1d6 per 10 feet of movement speed dealt to passengers. Also, passengers have a DC 20 Reflex save for half damage, regardless of speed, and the creature being overrun makes a Strength or Dexterity check if it chooses to block, just like a normal Overrun.

I don't see anything about constructs anywhere. I really get the feeling that you and I are looking at completely different things, except that you specified the book and page numbers, so I don't see how we can be.

Khedrac
2020-12-18, 03:19 AM
I think the OP is thinking of the Dungeoncrasher fighter variant (from Dungeonscape) where the fighter can do damage by forcing their opponent into a wall or other solid object.

These rules, as presented, do no damage if there is nothing behind the target to ram them into, but something could be house-ruled.

noob
2020-12-18, 07:37 AM
I think the OP is thinking of the Dungeoncrasher fighter variant (from Dungeonscape) where the fighter can do damage by forcing their opponent into a wall or other solid object.

These rules, as presented, do no damage if there is nothing behind the target to ram them into, but something could be house-ruled.

I already mentioned dungeoncrashers tunnelling people through entire cliffs: the object also takes damage so you can tunnel people in things.
You can also possibly tunnel them downwards if they are on the ground.

Gruftzwerg
2020-12-18, 11:14 AM

Get a magic item to fly and crush your enemies into the ground.
A ground should be available in most scenarios unless you are fighting while lying at high altitude.

But imho Dungeoncrasher ain't worth it since it is extra damage dice and thus doesn't work with charge multipliers. Investing into flat (non-dice) dmg boost is much more beneficial for a ubercharger.

noob
2020-12-18, 11:51 AM
Get a magic item to fly and crush your enemies into the ground.
A ground should be available in most scenarios unless you are fighting while lying at high altitude.

But imho Dungeoncrasher ain't worth it since it is extra damage dice and thus doesn't work with charge multipliers. Investing into flat (non-dice) dmg boost is much more beneficial for a ubercharger.

It deals 3 times str as damage so if you got extreme str you could bull rush the opponent and deal massive damage for each square moved and move a number of squares proportional to str and so get quadratic damage(the more str you have the more you tunnel opponents in walls and the more each square of tunnelling deals damage).
Of course this pales in comparison to the exponential damage you could deal by throwing bigger and bigger rocks with your str as a hulking hurler(through at some point you throw the universe at the opponent and find out you can not get bigger things).

Gruftzwerg
2020-12-18, 03:15 PM
It deals 3 times str as damage so if you got extreme str you could bull rush the opponent and deal massive damage for each square moved and move a number of squares proportional to str and so get quadratic damage(the more str you have the more you tunnel opponents in walls and the more each square of tunnelling deals damage).
Of course this pales in comparison to the exponential damage you could deal by throwing bigger and bigger rocks with your str as a hulking hurler(through at some point you throw the universe at the opponent and find out you can not get bigger things).

Sry, I misremebered it a lil bit. But it is still problematic since it is Bullrush damage and not charge damage. I prefer to go for flat charge multipliers (e.g. valorous weapon)

noob
2020-12-18, 04:01 PM
Sry, I misremebered it a lil bit. But it is still problematic since it is Bullrush damage and not charge damage. I prefer to go for flat charge multipliers (e.g. valorous weapon)

Yes this is why it is usually in charge builds some way to add a bunch of extra damage on top of the charge by using the feat that adds knockback on hit but not as the main damage source.

Morty_Jhones
2020-12-18, 05:46 PM
as I said in my post the rules are intended for VEHICLES. Clumsy or deliberatly driving into somone or something else. this is what overrunning on a steed or ramming in a car/ship is all about.

MASS matters here.............

if you dont weigh at least a ton then it dont matter and you just do 2 times whatever your Kick damage is or your TRAMPLE damage.

yes the rules for vehicles ramms are a bit odd and yes vehicles DO have there own ram damage for each type, as I said it was a quick SUMMERY. this is because the vehicals Weight is added to the Ram dammage it does.
The problem is there is no formulaic methiod for working this out other than Size thats ever been given, so you have to use the ones given by type if you're resolving a ram type action.

as i gave in my example (thank you netflix) this sort of impact can only happen when a charictyer is deliberatly performing what for a normal char is a suicidal action.
It even says in the rulles that if you try this with a mount or a draft animal that they move up to the obstical and then IMMEDATLY stop.

Also as for the Save numbers, sorry I should have stated that they where from D20 Modern/ D20 past, which has much more indepth and better Colishion/Ram mechanics simply because car and ship crashes are a thing...

Kalkra
2020-12-19, 09:08 PM
Also as for the Save numbers, sorry I should have stated that they where from D20 Modern/ D20 past, which has much more indepth and better Colishion/Ram mechanics simply because car and ship crashes are a thing...

Ahh, thanks. It was confusing, becauase you seemed to have very specific numbers, and I couldn't figure out where they were from. I'll check out D20 Modern.

nedz
2020-12-20, 10:12 AM
[ToB] Stone Dragon [1] Charging Minotaur 2d6+Str damage.
Speed doesn't help other than allowing you to reach targets.

Buddy76
2020-12-20, 10:50 AM
Races of the Wild has a feat called Diving Charge, but it only works for aerial combat. If you charge and move at least 30ft while also diving at least 10ft you can add damage die to your charge according to your flight speed (not how far you've moved). I believe it caps out at +3d6 to flight speeds > 90ft/round.