PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Rogue/Monk multiclass a lot better with Tasha's?

T.G. Oskar
2020-12-17, 12:47 AM
As I've read Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, I've noticed that a Rogue/Monk multiclass build ends up having a lot of synergies.

For starters, with Dedicated Weapon, you can choose Rapiers, Light Crossbows, Darts, Shortbows, Slings, Hand Crossbows and (if you're an Elf) Longbows as Monk Weapons. While this may not seem as much, it means you can wield more powerful weapons and get that bonus action attack from Martial Arts, or improve certain weapons (i.e. Darts and Slings) in terms of damage. Plus, you get a solid ranged attack which, if you happen to have at least 3 levels in Rogue, can benefit from Steady Aim - in case you're on a comfy spot and don't need to move. And, since you always have access to Unarmed Strikes, you can deal pretty solid Opportunity Attacks.

Second, Ki-Fueled Strikes. If you have a way to use your Action to use Ki, you can use that bonus action attack with a Monk weapon - which, if you make one of the choices above, means you can actually get your Sneak Attack damage from the get-go.

Third, the new subclasses. Phantom, with Wails from the Grave, allows you to deal half SA damage whenever you make SA damage. This includes the SA you can potentially trigger from Ki-Fueled Strikes, or if you go the classic choice (Way of Shadow), even when using Opportunist to spend your reaction on an attack. Granted - the SA damage you'll deal is very small (1d6 at the very least), but it's a good way to spread damage and really make proper use of this move. Soulknife, on the other hand, has its Psychic Blades treated as Simple Melee Weapons with the Finesse and Thrown properties - meaning, perfectly legal for both Martial Arts and Sneak Attack. If you take at least 11 levels in Monk (yeah, a lot), you can improve that Psychic Blade damage to a base 1d8.

So, what do you think? Personally, I'm currently playing a Rogue 2/Monk 2 build that was aiming for Assassin/Way of Shadow, and I'm seriously considering switching to Phantom instead (Phantom Rogue 3/Way of Shadow Monk 6, considering the highest level on the campaign will be 9th), and I'm seeing a lot of stuff I can do - such as getting a free ranged attack with Sneak Attack while using Shadow Arts or Quickened Healing with the potential of activating Wails from the Grave (and maybe stick a Stunning Strike on top?), switch between Investigation, Insight or Survival depending on whether I'm on the city or in a dungeon through the Whispers from the Dark feature, or combine Steady Aim and Focused Aim with Sharpshooter to essentially never miss.

Witty Username
2021-01-08, 12:06 AM
Second, Ki-Fueled Strikes. If you have a way to use your Action to use Ki, you can use that bonus action attack with a Monk weapon - which, if you make one of the choices above, means you can actually get your Sneak Attack damage from the get-go.

That is pretty good for shadow monk/rogues, being able to cast silence and sneak attack in the dark is probably a night terror of spell casters, and you can avoid losing a turn from sudden darkness(if you don't already have darkvision). Darkness has some problems working in with a sneak attack, but if you can make it work it takes no setup time. Maybe play a kobold and cast the darkness at just above your head height.
Way of Four Elements monk gets some niceties, Water Whip and Clench of the North Wind stand out as ways to get advantage and sneak attack at the same time, and form a nice triad with stunning strike. Now you can target dex, con, or wis and still get a sneak attack in the same turn. Also, since you are likely not using flurry of blows as much you probably end up having more ki to throw around.

I feel like focused aim is made for high reward attacks like sneak attack.

Foxhound438
2021-01-08, 12:43 AM
It's definitely better than it ever has been. Particularly useful is Tasha's stat bonus relocations to make Bugbear the perfect monk race by moving the strength bonus you probably don't want too much into wisdom. Surprise attack plus sneak attack after silencing and running in for a ki-fuelled rapier strike seems pretty good.