PDA

View Full Version : Need sailing ship name ideas:

MarkVIIIMarc
2020-12-17, 10:12 AM
Perhaps something random and silly would be the best but I have the following character in a half dozen sessions into a campaign and realized I hadn't thought of a ship name.

Here is the character's backstory:

"Horace is a middle ageish variant human. He was in the er, shipping business, when he ran afoul of the old elf local tax man Tarken and wrongly lost everything, not just what he did owe.

His (elf) wife Lia Shipwright-Liadon who was as beautiful as they day he met her found out what Horace did for a living from the tax man and left him. When he drunkenly went searching for her she was is not at her parent's house which was destroyed.

Horace's then went to see his overly emotional 18 year old son Kyle who was studying at his brother in law Laucian's monastery and discovered they both were missing also with no leads.

Despondent broke and down on his luck so in a moment of extreme drunken weakness saw a painting of a powerful looking Fey demi-god Hyrsam and POOF! A Warlock he was."

Obviously it needs to be fast but look like a hunk of junk but I need a name for the ship ol' Horace lost?

nickl_2000
2020-12-17, 10:31 AM
Man does that sound like the Millennium Falcon.

Maybe the Era Eagle or something to that effect? Something that has the feel, but isn't exact.

jojosskul
2020-12-17, 10:35 AM
Perhaps something random and silly would be the best but I have the following character in a half dozen sessions into a campaign and realized I hadn't thought of a ship name.

Here is the character's backstory:

"Horace is a middle ageish variant human. He was in the er, shipping business, when he ran afoul of the old elf local tax man Tarken and wrongly lost everything, not just what he did owe.

His (elf) wife Lia Shipwright-Liadon who was as beautiful as they day he met her found out what Horace did for a living from the tax man and left him. When he drunkenly went searching for her she was is not at her parent's house which was destroyed.

Horace's then went to see his overly emotional 18 year old son Kyle who was studying at his brother in law Laucian's monastery and discovered they both were missing also with no leads.

Despondent broke and down on his luck so in a moment of extreme drunken weakness saw a painting of a powerful looking Fey demi-god Hyrsam and POOF! A Warlock he was."

Obviously it needs to be fast but look like a hunk of junk but I need a name for the ship ol' Horace lost?

Given your description of fast but a hunk of junk, I lean towards playing off Star Wars references because that's just the kind of person I am.

How about the Tenday Puffin? Or if we just want to Adjective/Sea Related Bird as our template, the Angry Albatross? Sauced Seagull? The Daft Duck? I like the Daft Duck, but I have a theory that ducks don't really exist on Abeir-Toril (long story) so you'd get some odd looks. Hope this helps!

Imbalance
2020-12-17, 11:07 AM
The Sundered Mephit

Unoriginal
2020-12-17, 11:14 AM
Man does that sound like the Millennium Falcon.

Given your description of fast but a hunk of junk, I lean towards playing off Star Wars references because that's just the kind of person I am.

Millenium Falcon + macguffin PC lost + PC who drinks/drank a lot = the Malted Falcon.

jojosskul
2020-12-17, 11:17 AM
Millenium Falcon + macguffin PC couldn't find + PC who drinks/drank a lot = the Malted Falcon.

If this doesn't win I'm inserting it into the next game I run that has an unnamed ship.

Actually, I may use quite a few of these for the sunken ships around Auril's island in my ID game. The players may never go there, but I'LL know they're there.

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-17, 11:18 AM
Here are a few thematic pirate/smuggler vessel names I keep floating around in my head, and a few inspired by your set up:

Lost Fortune, Fortune's Foam, Crest Rider, Windbreaker, Hysram's Ketch, Barque 'n Beer, Faydoom, Lia's Osprey, or Ospreylia (if you carry kangaroos as cargo ...)

Malted Falcon made me grin, as did Tenday Puffin

nickl_2000
2020-12-17, 11:25 AM
Millenium Falcon + macguffin PC lost + PC who drinks/drank a lot = the Malted Falcon.

Perfect, you win.

Gallowglass
2020-12-17, 11:26 AM
sticking with the (unit of time)|(avian) theme we've established, obviously we need to find the correct (i.e. funniest/and or most archaic) mad libs.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/60080/10-little-known-units-time

I like the QUINZIÈME QUAIL

https://www.britannica.com/list/10-bizarre-birds

tell me this picture of a frogmouth isn't the best^^

now we need a unit of time that starts with an F

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Units_of_time

The Fortnite Frogmouth for the win.

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-17, 11:32 AM
Autumnal Osprey rolls off the tongue nicely as does Winterhawk and Summershrike

Unoriginal
2020-12-17, 11:35 AM
s
The Fortnite Frogmouth for the win.

Unrelated, but I have to say "Frogmouth" sounds like a foul-tasting but alcohol-rich booze.

"Why is that called 'frogmouth'?"
"'cause after a glass you'll want to croak."

Perfect, you win.

Malted Falcon made me grin, as did Tenday Puffin

If this doesn't win I'm inserting it into the next game I run that has an unnamed ship.

Thanks, folks.

Guizonde
2020-12-17, 12:16 PM
i'll say it becaise dead memes are always fun: boaty mcboatface.

Throne12
2020-12-17, 03:45 PM
The Copper Tengu.

Rule-Of-Three
2020-12-17, 04:20 PM
You mean what the ship's owner called it, or the crew? Because the latter tends to be irreverent and on point.

I've known the ****ty Kitty, because it was notorious for **** food, **** sailors, and a hole the size of a VW van below the waterline up forward. You could see it listing to port from the gym across the pier. Like many other ships, it was held together with duct tape and paint.

We called the Juneau Perfect 10, because of it's hull number and the obvious fact that it was a floating heap of **** with a welldeck and Marines. Also duct-tape reliant, and midrats was often PB+J with no bread. I'd put a divot in the PB and pour fake milk on it like it was mashed potatoes, when I couldn't trade for MREs.

To paraphrase Samuel Johnson, "A ship a sea is akin to prison, with the additional chance of being drowned." It is a domain of misery, punctuated only only by the opportunity to torment subordinates, wildly inventive pranks, drudgery.

How about Baator?

Unoriginal
2020-12-17, 04:31 PM
To paraphrase Samuel Johnson, "A ship a sea is akin to prison, with the additional chance of being drowned." It is a domain of misery, punctuated only only by the opportunity to torment subordinates, wildly inventive pranks, drudgery.

How about Baator?

In the great tradition of using euphemistic names for the Devil, why not call it the Master Baator?

Rule-Of-Three
2020-12-17, 04:34 PM
In the great tradition of using euphemistic names for the Devil, why not call it the Master Baator?

You sir, understand the fleet. We are all blind.

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-17, 04:59 PM
You sir, understand the fleet. We are all blind. At sea, the definition of infidelity was that one's right hand did not know what one's left hand was doing.

The USS Guam (back in the 70's/80's) was actually an acronym:
Give Up And Mass-debate

I was in the Sorry Sara BG for two different Med deployments ... (USS Saratoga, CV 60 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Saratoga_(CV-60)))

Aaron Underhand
2020-12-17, 06:44 PM
We spent some time as merchants in a GURPS fantasy game, onboard the "Loan Shark".... :-)

Kireban
2020-12-17, 08:29 PM
Call it "The Bouncy Betty"