PDA

View Full Version : XGE racial feats and transformations

Silpharon
2020-12-17, 10:25 AM
XGE says this about it's feats: "A racial feat represents either a deepening connection to your race's culture or a physical transformation that brings you closer to an aspect of your race's lineage."

It goes on later to say "A transformational feat can symbolize a latent quality that has emerged as you age, or a transformation might be the result of an event in the campaign, such as exposure to powerful magic or visiting a place of ancient significance to your race."

I'm running a Mark of Passage human presently, and I'm curious if I can somehow pick up the Elven Accuracy feat. This would require some sort of transformation to half-elf. I could easily see discovering that I have elf blood in my past, though half-elf might be a stretch unless I never knew my mother or father. If I went down this route, would I need to give up my Mark of Passage human traits and reroll my character under a half-elf race?

Gignere
2020-12-17, 10:30 AM
XGE says this about it's feats: "A racial feat represents either a deepening connection to your race's culture or a physical transformation that brings you closer to an aspect of your race's lineage."

It goes on later to say "A transformational feat can symbolize a latent quality that has emerged as you age, or a transformation might be the result of an event in the campaign, such as exposure to powerful magic or visiting a place of ancient significance to your race."

I'm running a Mark of Passage human presently, and I'm curious if I can somehow pick up the Elven Accuracy feat. This would require some sort of transformation to half-elf. I could easily see discovering that I have elf blood in my past, though half-elf might be a stretch unless I never knew my mother or father. If I went down this route, would I need to give up my Mark of Passage human traits and reroll my character under a half-elf race?

This is really a question between you and your DM. The rules don’t support this, although it was rumored that Tasha’s was supposed to remove racial requirements on feats, the actual published book didn’t. Some DM’s play by the RAW and what you suggest is not possible, others think racial gating is counter productive and they don’t see a reason for it and would allow it without even a back story. So my advice is talk to your DM, because there is no RAW support what you are trying to accomplish.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-17, 10:31 AM
You're either a human (mark of passage or not) or an (half-)elf. You can't be both at the same time.

DragonBaneDM
2020-12-17, 10:41 AM
You're either a human (mark of passage or not) or an (half-)elf. You can't be both at the same time.

Maybe your DM will be super open to the idea, but be prepared to tell them your idea and have them reply with this or simply, "But...you're a human?"

Segev
2020-12-17, 10:49 AM
Tasha's "loosening" of racial rules is an optional rule in the first place. This really isn't something we can answer here: ask your DM.

Silpharon
2020-12-17, 12:06 PM
So what is your impression on the "transformation" piece in XGE? I thought this suggests a change of race, but is that not the implication here? Would a built half-elf character not know they were half-elf, then have a "transformation" moment to where they now know it? That seems unnecessary and not the intent.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-17, 12:20 PM
So what is your impression on the "transformation" piece in XGE? I thought this suggests a change of race, but is that not the implication here? Would a built half-elf character not know they were half-elf, then have a "transformation" moment to where they now know it? That seems unnecessary and not the intent.

It refers to cases like dragonborn's Dragon Hide, where the feat involve physical changes. It doesn't mean you change your race.

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-17, 12:24 PM
So what is your impression on the "transformation" piece in XGE? I thought this suggests a change of race, but is that not the implication here? No, it is not, unless your DM thinks/says "Heck, that's a great idea, let's roll with that!"

Would a built half-elf character not know they were half-elf, then have a "transformation" moment to where they now know it? That seems unnecessary and not the intent. As noted by the other responses: Ask Your DM. Nobody on the internet can decide this for them.

As to "does a half elf know that they are a half elf" the PHB will say "yes" and your game world may say "in your case, you've never know why you were different from everyone else" in which cast that 'revelation' is perfectly thematic and fits the game world Narrative.

Here's an Idea: have this discussion with your DM. :smallsmile:

Silpharon
2020-12-17, 01:00 PM
It refers to cases like dragonborn's Dragon Hide, where the feat involve physical changes. It doesn't mean you change your race.

That's the ticket I've been looking for, thanks! In light of Dragonborn, the XGE language makes much more sense now.

For all of you telling me to ask my DM, that's an obvious step if I wanted to move forward with this, but that's not what I intended this thread to discuss. I was trying to understand the intent and practical application of the "transformation" language, and how it applied to existing races. Jack's response cleared this up nicely. It's clear the transformation dealing with racial lineage was with respect to an already known aspect of one's race. Based on this, it's clear human->half elf isn't intended, so I won't need to ask my DM - we're pretty stickler towards abiding by the rules as written.

Evaar
2020-12-17, 02:00 PM
Canonically, there's really nothing that would suggest a partially elven heritage for someone with the Mark of Passage. Dragonmarks are tied to bloodlines, and the Mark of Passage is specifically a human mark.

In Eberron, half-elves (aka Khoravar) are a distinct race seeking to establish an identity. They breed true. They have their own Dragonmarks which do not appear among humans or among elves. When the Elves of Aerenal merged with the Humans of Sarlona on the continent of Khorvaire, they created a new race with its own distinct role to play in the Draconic Prophecy. The Dragonmarks of Detection and Storm are proof of that. Because you bear the Mark of Passage you are very specifically human, not half-elf.

So while everything goes through your DM and maybe this sounds good to them and you, there's really nothing we can offer you except to say there's nothing in the rules or flavor that would support such a shift.

If you really want to do it anyway, maybe your DM has you lose the Mark of Passage, swaps you to Variant Human, and requires your bonus feat to be the Aberrant Dragonmark. Something happened as you grew in power that unlocked a hidden aspect of your heritage, but which also twisted your Dragonmark.

Silpharon
2020-12-17, 02:11 PM
Canonically, there's really nothing that would suggest a partially elven heritage for someone with the Mark of Passage. Dragonmarks are tied to bloodlines, and the Mark of Passage is specifically a human mark.

In Eberron, half-elves (aka Khoravar) are a distinct race seeking to establish an identity. They breed true. They have their own Dragonmarks which do not appear among humans or among elves. When the Elves of Aerenal merged with the Humans of Sarlona on the continent of Khorvaire, they created a new race with its own distinct role to play in the Draconic Prophecy. The Dragonmarks of Detection and Storm are proof of that. Because you bear the Mark of Passage you are very specifically human, not half-elf.

So while everything goes through your DM and maybe this sounds good to them and you, there's really nothing we can offer you except to say there's nothing in the rules or flavor that would support such a shift.

If you really want to do it anyway, maybe your DM has you lose the Mark of Passage, swaps you to Variant Human, and requires your bonus feat to be the Aberrant Dragonmark. Something happened as you grew in power that unlocked a hidden aspect of your heritage, but which also twisted your Dragonmark.

Thank you for the thorough background. I appreciate the RP connections here, and agree that this isn't plausible given that historical perspective. Practically, I'd rather not lose Mark of Passage, so I'll just give up on Elven Accuracy. :)

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-17, 02:12 PM
nice job, Jack! :smallbiggrin:

Evaar
2020-12-17, 02:47 PM
Thank you for the thorough background. I appreciate the RP connections here, and agree that this isn't plausible given that historical perspective. Practically, I'd rather not lose Mark of Passage, so I'll just give up on Elven Accuracy. :)

With all that said, it's not like it would be a balance problem. So maybe your DM would be willing to homebrew a Mark of Passage flavored version of the mechanics - "Unerring Speed" or something, +1 Dex, triple advantage, requires Mark of Passage.

The problem is the "Elven." Not the "Accuracy."

EDIT: Though after posting this I see your group is sticklers for using Rules As Written so maybe homebrew is out entirely.