PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Psychoactive Skins and adding abilities to them

liquidformat
2020-12-17, 01:05 PM
I am a bit lost as to what Psychoactive Skins are considered for adding more magical abilities to them. Should they just be treated as slotless?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-17, 01:08 PM
I am a bit lost as to what Psychoactive Skins are considered for adding more magical abilities to them. Should they just be treated as slotless?Technically they have their own slot, above and beyond the "normal" ones of face, crown, belt, etc. You can wear three psychoactive skins in that slot at once, but only one can be active at a time.

So no, they're not slotless. They have their own slot. I think.

Psychoactive Skins
Psychoactive skins (also sometimes called ectoshells) are fistsized globs of psionically charged ectoplasm. As a standard action, a psychoactive skin spreads over and covers a Medium or smaller creature that projects the proper command thought; the same command thought causes the skin to shrink back down to its former size. Each of the various psychoactive skins is charged with one of a wide array of powers that constantly affect the wearer.

A deployed skin completely covers the wearer and all his equipment like a second skin, allowing the wearer to see, hear, and breathe normally. It rolls away from various parts of the body as needed, such as when the wearer needs to eat or access a backpack. Held items or items specifically excluded are not covered by a psychoactive skin.

Up to three skins can be worn simultaneously, although only the outermost is active in any given round (the powers of hidden skins cannot be manifested). Skin layers can be changed with a command thought as a standard action, which causes a lower-layer skin to come to the surface.

If they were slotless, I don't think the limit of 3 would be in place.

Troacctid
2020-12-17, 01:35 PM
If they were slotless, I don't think the limit of 3 would be in place.
No, they're slotless. You can see in MIC, the item slot is listed as "—." Very conclusive. This means integrating another item into a skin would be the same as making that item slotless, so, double its price.

(Also, the real limit is one, since others worn underneath become non-functional.)

the_tick_rules
2020-12-17, 01:35 PM
you could use the multi-enchanting rules to mix two of them together though right?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-17, 01:40 PM
you could use the multi-enchanting rules to mix two of them together though right?A hard yes on that one, according to the MIC.

Troacctid
2020-12-17, 01:41 PM
you could use the multi-enchanting rules to mix two of them together though right?
Those rules allow you to combine two items that take up the same body slot. They don't really cover combining slotless items. I'd say it's a fairly congruent scenario, so it would make sense to use the same pricing, but that's an extrapolation, not a standard use case. Ask your DM.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-17, 01:53 PM
Those rules allow you to combine two items that take up the same body slot. They don't really cover combining slotless items. I'd say it's a fairly congruent scenario, so it would make sense to use the same pricing, but that's an extrapolation, not a standard use case. Ask your DM.The MIC says, "You can add new magical abilities to a magic item with virtually no restrictions." Meaning that unless restrictions are mentioned, they do not exist. Thus, adding abilities to slotless items is not one of the restrictions, since it's not mentioned. It even has a slotless item (a sword) as an example of what can be upgraded freely.

No, they're slotless. You can see in MIC, the item slot is listed as "—." Very conclusive. This means integrating another item into a skin would be the same as making that item slotless, so, double its price.

(Also, the real limit is one, since others worn underneath become non-functional.)I seem to have misremembered it. Glad you caught that. Still seems like it should be its own slot, but I guess not.

the_tick_rules
2020-12-17, 11:46 PM
Yeah if someone tried to combine a psychoactive skin with a sacred scabbard because they are both slotless i would say that is ridiculous but since they are both skins i'd say it is fine.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-18, 12:21 AM
Yeah if someone tried to combine a psychoactive skin with a sacred scabbard because they are both slotless i would say that is ridiculous but since they are both skins i'd say it is fine.So long as the combo makes sense. Adding an extradimensional kangaroo pouch by way of a handy haversack, for instance, totally makes sense. You could add the effects of an ioun stone to it, too, since no ioun stone I'm aware of requires the effect to be tied to an orbiting rock. Things like that should be just fine.