PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to the Steel Defender for a Battle Smith Artificer.

Pixel_Kitsune
2020-12-17, 02:58 PM
Opinion on a new class feature. I have a player who wants to play a Battlesmith for the general Artificer build and the focused magical warrior, but doesn't want to have a pet. Instead of the Steel Defender I was thinking the following:

Smith's Choice: You have forged a weapon you hold a unique bond with.
This weapon must be one you are proficient in.
This weapon can act as an arcane focus for your spellcasting and can be Infused by your Artificer Infusion feature despite being a magical weapon.
If it is lost or destroyed you can recreate it at the end of a long rest so long as you have access to your smith's tools.

In your hands your magic comes alive and grants additional abilities as follows:
-Magic Weapon: Your bonded weapon is treated as magical for the purposes of overcoming enemy damage resistance. As you gain levels in Artificer your weapon grows in power. Becoming a +1 weapon at level 9, a +2 weapon at level 15 and a +3 weapon at level 17.
-Always at Hand: As an Action you can will your weapon into your hand, bringing it into your grip so long as it is on the same plane of existence. (Eldritch Knight ability but Action instead of Bonus Action. More flavor and to prevent losing class features.)
-Magically Guided Strike: Using your bonus action you may make one additional weapon attack with your bonded weapon.
-Magically Guided Deflection: Using your reaction you may impose disadvantage against one attack roll of one creature you can see within 5' of yourself.

Is this underpowered? Overpowered? I wanted to keep the bonus action attack and the reaction deflect but I didn't want to just lose the extra body and all that gives you without giving back something. Is a magical weapon you can't lose and can still Infuse a good trade? Would you guys add more? Add less? Thank you for the input. 🙂

kaervaak
2020-12-17, 03:06 PM
You could use Forge Adept from Exploring Eberron (Keith Baker's latest book but not WoTC official material). http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/artificer:forge-adept

It does what they want and is a nicely done subclass.