PDA

View Full Version : Spirit shroud vs shadow of moil

TyGuy
2020-12-17, 05:49 PM
For a hexblade blade-lock.

The two can be summarized as the offensive vs defensive options. But I'm really struggling on whether to take both or pick one that will be useful more often.

Hael
2020-12-17, 06:18 PM
For a hexblade blade-lock.

The two can be summarized as the offensive vs defensive options. But I'm really struggling on whether to take both or pick one that will be useful more often.

This is a bit of a nobrainer. Not only am I pretty sure shadow of moil will be more damage than spirit shroud, the defensive options are immensely strong and make it a runaway win.

You will want spirit shroud for situations where SOM doesn’t work.(blindsight etc)

TyGuy
2020-12-17, 06:52 PM
This is a bit of a nobrainer. Not only am I pretty sure shadow of moil will be more damage than spirit shroud, the defensive options are immensely strong and make it a runaway win.

You will want spirit shroud for situations where SOM doesn’t work.(blindsight etc)

Comparing damage with 5th level spells slots. They both deal 2d8 damage. SoM provides advantage to attacks which is great. Although, that's highly diminished with flanking = advantage variant. SS is limited to two attacks per round with the potential of another from something like PAM, and another from an attack of opportunity. But most cases, it will be 2/round. SoM is dependent on the amount of attacks hitting the caster. With an ok AC and disadvantage, hopefully the caster isn't still getting smacked twice a round, average.

Hael
2020-12-17, 07:09 PM
Yea advantage is rule of thumb about 40-50% increase in dpr per attack. Hexblades usually hit pretty hard so 50% is usually more than 2d8 per attack. Of course variant rules will change that calculus.

Defensively disadvantage on attacks is vital for the Hexblade squishiness problem, as well as free disengage and not targetable to most spells.

Even with spells like foresight in the late game, I don’t think I would give up SoMs extra defense vs SS. It’s debatable. In the early game I think it’s a slam dunk.

Jerrykhor
2020-12-17, 08:32 PM
That's not even a choice, Shadow of Moil is superior.

Keravath
2020-12-17, 09:50 PM
In my opinion - no contest - Shadow of Moil is a far better spell for a hexblade pact of the blade warlock.

"Spirit Shroud:
SPIRIT SHROUD
3rd-level necromancy
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You call forth spirits of the dead, which flit around you for the spell's duration. The spirits are intangible and invulnerable. Until the spell ends, any attack you make deals 1d8 extra damage when you hit a creature within 10 feet of you. This damage is radiant, necrotic, or cold
(your choice when you cast the spell). Any creature that takes this damage can't regain hit points until the start of your next turn. In addition, any creature of your choice that you can see that starts its turn within 10 feet of you has its speed reduced by 10 feet until the start of your next turn.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for every two slot levels above 3rd."

"SHADOW or M0IL.
4th—level necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (an undead eyeball encased in a gem worth at least 150 gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Flame-like shadows wreathe your body until the spell ends, causing you to become heavily obscured to others. The shadows turn dim light within 10 feet of you into darkness, and bright light in the same area to dim light. Until the spell ends, you have resistance to radiant
damage. In addition, whenever a creature within 10 feet of you hits you with an attack, the shadows lash out at that creature, dealing it 2d8 necrotic damage."

Spirit Shroud - bonus action - 3rd level - adds 1d8 damage to each attack - can increase to 2d8 with a 5th level slot - reduces movement of creatures within 10' by 10' (only situationally useful) and creature hit can't regen hit points this round.

SoM - action - 4th level - advantage to hit, disadvantage to be hit (against everything except blindsight) - resistance to radiant damage (only situationally useful), 2d8 necrotic damage to anything that hits you.

In general, I think advantage to hit and disadvantage to be hit from Shadow of Moil are bigger benefits than the increased damage from Spirit Shroud. There are occasions when Spirit Shround might be more desirable but most of the time SoM would likely be preferable since melee warlocks really need whatever defensive bonuses they can manage. SS may edge out in damage, especially for a PAM build, when using a 5th level slot for it. However, a PAM/GWM build would probably prefer the advantage to hit.