PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 3.5e (Dragonlance) - Feat: sleight of hand as a free action

Bobur
2020-12-18, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone

I am currently piecing together a rogue in a 3.5e Dragonlance setting.

One available feat allows you to make a sleight of hand check as a free action.
And since the soh skill is a bit unpolished when it comes to its rules(espc in combat), I wanted to discuss this a bit.

1) Sleight of hand already allows you to do it as a free action, but with a -20 modifier.
2) This feat basically doesn't matter out of combat since the action rules usually don't apply otherwise. - one could argue, that is should give a bonus out of combat if you are THAT quick, but technically it makes no difference.
3) You make a DC20 check to obtain a small item. The target also rolls a spot check against your soh check to see if he noticed.

So what does this allow us to do in combat?
The obvious thing that I see is to just move up to a target, hit him in melee, and at the same time, try to steal something from him (as long as we have a free hand I assume)

Flat-footed: Although I heard the argument before, it doesn't say that the target has to be flat-footed or otherwise unaware of you to make a check.

Attack of opportunity: Again, the rules are not clear on this.
But since you have to role for the spot check first, I would say he can't attack you unless he wins the spot check. Otherwise, why even roll? Or would you argue that you do something in front of him that allows an aoo and the spot check is just to see if he notices being robbed?

With the feat: Free actions usually don't provoke Aoos from what I remember. So that should be safe now.

Now, what can you do with this? Disarm falls into a similar area, using a skill or feat to take something from the enemy. It is clearer on the rules though.
Sleight of hand: (DC20) You can take a "small" item from the target. Technically we could snatch a dagger from his hands? The target holding it in his hands doesn't mean that it's safe. If he fails his spot-check he might not even know where it went, just that it's gone. - A ring from a dragon's claw? The focus of a cleric or maybe a spellbook or phylactery of a lich? ...Or put something into his bags? A stone with silence cast on it? An alarm horn, keys, tying shoelaces together...

Obviously something like a bigger weapon, a shield, a cape or armor wouldnt work.

What do you think of the feat? And what do you think one could do with it? What would be off limits?
Thanks

Silly Name
2020-12-18, 08:16 AM
The value of this feat is heavily going to hinge on the campaign and the DM.

It's going to be useless if most of your foes are going to be monsters with no equipment, or if your DM doesn't prepare ahead for you using this sort of thing.

My suggestion is to discuss this with your DM and figure out how they'd apply it. "Could I slip a ring of spell storing off the evil wizard's finger? Do I need to roll anything to be able to figure he's wearing it?"

As it stands, you could probably use this to steal rings and necklaces, and a potential powerful use is against spellcasters by yoinking their component pouches.

Bobur
2020-12-18, 08:43 AM
The value of this feat is heavily going to hinge on the campaign and the DM.

It's going to be useless if most of your foes are going to be monsters with no equipment, or if your DM doesn't prepare ahead for you using this sort of thing.

My suggestion is to discuss this with your DM and figure out how they'd apply it. "Could I slip a ring of spell storing off the evil wizard's finger? Do I need to roll anything to be able to figure he's wearing it?"

As it stands, you could probably use this to steal rings and necklaces, and a potential powerful use is against spellcasters by yoinking their component pouches.

Good point about the type of enemy in the campaign. I will ask that as well as the other questions.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-18, 09:21 AM
One available feat allows you to make a sleight of hand check as a free action.What feat is this?

Bobur
2020-12-18, 09:57 AM
What feat is this?

Its called "light-fingered" from the Races of Ansalon book.
Req: Kender, Dex13

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-18, 10:13 AM
Req: Kender, Dex13Ah. Thanks.

So in exchange for EVERYONE DOING THEIR BEST TO KILL YOU AT ALL TIMES, you get to be even better at half the reason everyone wants to kill you, therefore making them want to kill you even harder?

Bobur
2020-12-18, 10:19 AM
Ah. Thanks.

So in exchange for EVERYONE DOING THEIR BEST TO KILL YOU AT ALL TIMES, you get to be even better at half the reason everyone wants to kill you, therefore making them want to kill you even harder?

Sort of yea. Also check the handler Prclass if stealing is all that you want to do. You become godlike at that and that only. ^^

And that sort of Kender hate is a reason why I made a homebrew class that took that into account: Why do people keep Kender around? They are not just lucky, they spread that luck! So my homebrew class can reroll some dice for yourself, your ally or an enemy, but only 1/day at the start.

ShurikVch
2020-12-18, 10:36 AM
Req: Kender, Dex13

Ah. Thanks.

Note: Changeling with Racial Emulation can qualify too!

Alternately, we may use an eldritch abomination: Symbiotic Creature template (Savage Species) where the "guest" is a Kender, and the "host" - a Minotaur (with Half-Ogre template to be Large)