PDA

View Full Version : is there a spell that lets you do verbal components on a mute form?

newguydude1
2020-12-18, 08:09 AM
girallons blessing gives somatic components on a limbless form. what about verbal? wanna get rid of silent spell in my build.

Anthrowhale
2020-12-18, 08:32 AM
girallons blessing gives somatic components on a limbless form. what about verbal? wanna get rid of silent spell in my build.

Not an answer, but Surrogate Spellcasting at least eliminates the level adjustment relative to Silent Spell.

newguydude1
2020-12-18, 08:39 AM
Not an answer, but Surrogate Spellcasting at least eliminates the level adjustment relative to Silent Spell.

creatures that cant speak have no vocal organs so surrogate spellcasting doesnt do anything for me.

goal is symbiote. the only symbiote that can talk is one that has to be grafted onto a creature.

Darrin
2020-12-18, 09:45 AM
Not... exactly...

There is whispercast (Lords of Madness p. 129), which lets you cast your next spell as a purely mental action, but it has a Verbal component, and you need to be able to whisper.

Then there's the Nonverbal Spell (Planar Handbook p. 41), which allows you to cast spells without speaking the Verbal component, but you still need to make some sort of noise, with speaking, singing, or growling given as examples.

Suddent Silent (Miniatures Handbook) is also a thing, 1/day.

Zaq
2020-12-18, 09:52 AM
What purpose is Silent Spell serving? Maybe we can solve the problem another way rather than simply by trying to address verbal components specifically. Are you trying to remain unheard, trying to cast without a voice, or something else? Why are verbal components a problem to be solved in the first place? I bet we can find an alternate method of getting to your goal.

newguydude1
2020-12-18, 10:27 AM
What purpose is Silent Spell serving? Maybe we can solve the problem another way rather than simply by trying to address verbal components specifically. Are you trying to remain unheard, trying to cast without a voice, or something else? Why are verbal components a problem to be solved in the first place? I bet we can find an alternate method of getting to your goal.

spells require verbal and somatic components
symbiotes neither have limbs nor vocal cords
i want to attach myself to a creature and use assume supernatural ability share spells to get some buffs on him.

girallons blessing gives symbiotes limbs for somatic components and material components
silent spell bypasses verbal component.

and no, im not interested in using ring of spell storing, spellguard of silvery whatever, somehow lawyer out harmful spell from glyph of warding, etc. i made a thread before about getting personal spells on others and assume supernatural ability share spells was the only acceptable one.

Fouredged Sword
2020-12-18, 10:28 AM
creatures that cant speak have no vocal organs so surrogate spellcasting doesnt do anything for me.

goal is symbiote. the only symbiote that can talk is one that has to be grafted onto a creature.

That's not QUITE true. You have to be able to make sounds equivalent to a spoken conversational volume, but you don't specifically need to make those sounds with a mouth if you have surrogate spellcasting and lack the ability to make mouth noises. You could, and I deeply hesitate to suggest this, cast spells using verbal components as deeply absurd as armpit fart noises if armpit fart noises are something you can argue is a vocal organ. Less silly would be finger snaps or clapping. The important part is that you must make noise. How you make the noise and what the noise is isn't important if you have surrogate spellcasting.

ShurikVch
2020-12-18, 10:31 AM
1. How about the Symbiotic Creature template (Savage Species)?
2. Ghostly Visage (Fiend Folio) is a symbiote which can speak: "Ghostly visages speak Common and any one additional language."

newguydude1
2020-12-18, 10:34 AM
1. How about the Symbiotic Creature template (Savage Species)?
no legal way to acquire it

2. Ghostly Visage (Fiend Folio) is a symbiote which can speak: "Ghostly visages speak Common and any one additional language."

has to be grafted on.

im polymorphing into a symbiote, casting my spells, then ending the polymorph.

That's not QUITE true. You have to be able to make sounds equivalent to a spoken conversational volume, but you don't specifically need to make those sounds with a mouth if you have surrogate spellcasting and lack the ability to make mouth noises. You could, and I deeply hesitate to suggest this, cast spells using verbal components as deeply absurd as armpit fart noises if armpit fart noises are something you can argue is a vocal organ. Less silly would be finger snaps or clapping. The important part is that you must make noise. How you make the noise and what the noise is isn't important if you have surrogate spellcasting.

You must still have suitable appendages and vocal organs....and you do not gain the ability to speak if you cannot already.

ShurikVch
2020-12-18, 10:38 AM
has to be grafted on.
No, it isn't.

newguydude1
2020-12-18, 11:02 AM
No, it isn't.

oh that one is incorporeal so invalid target of polymorph.

Kalkra
2020-12-18, 11:57 AM
As I mentioned in a previous thread, an Amulet of Freedom of Speech (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20020125a) will let any creature talk. Costs 5k.

Anthrowhale
2020-12-18, 12:08 PM
The symbiont's share spells is bidirectional, so you could instead polymorph the target into a symbiont, DCFS/Psychic Reformation/Heartfire Fanner it to have Assume Supernatural Ability, attach it, and then cast whatever spells you want to share.

newguydude1
2020-12-18, 01:00 PM
As I mentioned in a previous thread, an Amulet of Freedom of Speech (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20020125a) will let any creature talk. Costs 5k.

my dm doesnt allow web content

The symbiont's share spells is bidirectional, so you could instead polymorph the target into a symbiont, DCFS/Psychic Reformation/Heartfire Fanner it to have Assume Supernatural Ability, attach it, and then cast whatever spells you want to share.

already doing this with some of my shenanigans, but i havent thought of doing with my other shenanigans.

it might just work. thanks.

Cruiser1
2020-12-18, 02:54 PM
Just arrange it so you can cast your buff spells BEFORE you polymorph into a symbiote. To do this, cast your spells with Delay Spell (CA) metamagic (similar to the effect of Delayed Blast Fireball) with a 5 round delay. During the 5 round countdown before your spell actually goes off, only then do you polymorph into a symbiote and attach to your target, so when the spell finally goes off it will also affect the creature you're attached to.

Endarire
2020-12-18, 04:08 PM
In 3.5, merely having in your inventory a Metamagic Rod of Silent Spell lets you use it. (PF requires that you hold it in a hand to use it.)

newguydude1
2020-12-18, 04:52 PM
Just arrange it so you can cast your buff spells BEFORE you polymorph into a symbiote. To do this, cast your spells with Delay Spell (CA) metamagic (similar to the effect of Delayed Blast Fireball) with a 5 round delay. During the 5 round countdown before your spell actually goes off, only then do you polymorph into a symbiote and attach to your target, so when the spell finally goes off it will also affect the creature you're attached to.

+3 spell level. silent spell is superior in every way.

ok so this fixed my most important strategies, but it doesnt work on my unimportant strategies like getting overland flight on a minion. because spending 500xp on dcsf on an expendable minion is just not really an option.

anyways thanks, this helped a lot.

In 3.5, merely having in your inventory a Metamagic Rod of Silent Spell lets you use it. (PF requires that you hold it in a hand to use it.)

trying to not use items.

InvisibleBison
2020-12-18, 05:25 PM
It might not be viable in your campaign, but have you considered simply researching new versions of the spells you want to cast on people? It seems reasonable to me that a spell that can only be cast on other people would be the same level as one that can only be cast on yourself.

Particle_Man
2020-12-19, 01:01 AM
Man this would be so much easier if psionics were allowed, as they never have verbal or somatic components.

Are they allowed?

newguydude1
2020-12-19, 01:03 AM
It might not be viable in your campaign, but have you considered simply researching new versions of the spells you want to cast on people? It seems reasonable to me that a spell that can only be cast on other people would be the same level as one that can only be cast on yourself.

my raw or die dm doesnt do homebrew because spellcasters are strong enoguh as it is

Man this would be so much easier if psionics were allowed, as they never have verbal or somatic components.

Are they allowed?

it is allowed but psionics is incomparably weak when compared to wizards.

Fouredged Sword
2020-12-29, 07:39 AM
no legal way to acquire it

has to be grafted on.

A vocal organ is any organ involved in the making of speech. You just need a form of speech that uses something you have.