PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Forsaker & Vow of Poverty

J-H
2020-12-18, 08:19 AM
VoP was a popular option in 3.5e, or at least got a lot of discussion. Forsaker is a similar concept from 2e (I think), where a character vows not to use any magical items except potions and perhaps weapons.

Here's a quick and I think mostly balanced version for 5e. This could support the "forsaker" archetype, the "I hate all magic" archetype, and the "Vow of Poverty" archetype. I think it works for every class except Wizard (spellbook).

Forsaker
The player character may not possess, use, or attune to any magic items, with the exception of potions and a holy symbol or arcane focus. This includes spellbooks.

Mastery of Self
Every time the character gains a point of Proficiency Bonus, he gains an additional ASI or Feat.

Focused Strikes
The character gains a damage bonus to melee rolls equal to his proficiency bonus.

Anti-Magic option
The character may not cast any spells from any source, and must actively work to destroy some type of enemy spellcaster or order of spellcasters. In exchange, the character gains advantage on saving throws versus magic.

Vow of Poverty option
The character may not possess more than 25gp of items, including weapons and armor.
Unarmored Defense: The character gains a +1 bonus to Armor Class, and adds his Wisdom modifier to his Dexterity modifier to determine his total unarmored AC. This does not stack with Unarmored Defense from other classes.

Commentary
A basic Forsaker type is, at level 20, missing out on something like +2-+4 AC, +2-3 to hit, and +2d6 (7) damage from magical weapons and armor, plus the lack of versatility caused by lacking things like winged boots. The Focused Strikes ability helps catch up basic weapon damage. To-hit will still be lower, assuming maxed stats on both sides, but the Forsaker will have some additional combat and non-combat options granted by feats, or by higher secondary/tertiary scores. Combat maneuvers like Sentinel or PAM, Feats granting additional skills and languages, and the like, all add some versatility to help the Forsaker still have plenty to do.
The magic-item users in the party will still have some bigger numbers, but MAD classes like Paladin, Monk or Barbarian, will get some catch-up via the secondary stat boosts.

The anti-magic archetype adds a defense, but needs to be leashed with some RP requirements, such as a sacred oath of vengeance or something. It may not be a good choice.

The Vow of Poverty addition covers the classic 3.5 option, allowing basically nothing except a cheap weapon and leather or hide armor, and in exchange granting monk-like sacred defenses. Technically any class could function with this, but I think monk and cleric are the best fits.