PDA

View Full Version : Genie Vessel protection under armor?

Silpharon
2020-12-18, 12:02 PM
Hey guys,

I'm planning to run an Artificer Armorer with a 1 level dip in Genie Warlock. For the Genie Vessel, I expect to make it "a ring with a compartment". The Arcane Armor from the Armorer subclass would be built by my PC "like a second skin" and it is supposed to cover the entire body except for a retractable helmet. It will be made of heavy plate. Furthermore, I plan to carry a shield in my left hand.

So my options for wearing the ring:
1) Under my Arcane Armor and in the hand holding the shield
2) Over my Arcane Armor and in the hand holding the shield
3) Under my Arcane Armor and in the hand with the Lightning Launcher
4) Over my Arcane Armor and in the hand with the Lightning Launcher

To me it seems more plausible to wear the ring under the plate armor, and it seems reasonable that the PC could make the armor fit around the ring. From an RP perspective, I could tie a circuit to the Lightning Launcher if the ring was in the right hand, getting the extra thunder damage from Genie's Wrath.

What's an appropriate "cover" for the ring in this case? It seems like full cover or at least 3/4, but is that OP to not have the vessel exposed to be destroyed?

Garfunion
2020-12-18, 01:04 PM
My understanding is that objects being carried or worn aren’t really attack-able, unless a specific spell or attack says otherwise. The reason why a genie’s vessel has hit points and AC is that when you go into the vessel it drops to the ground allowing anyone to damage it.

Silpharon
2020-12-18, 01:11 PM
My understanding is that objects being carried or worn aren’t really attack-able, unless a specific spell or attack says otherwise. The reason why a genie’s vessel has hit points and AC is that when you go into the vessel it drops to the ground allowing anyone to damage it.

Yeah I could see that. I was going to have my Homunculus Servant carry the ring while it was exposed. I guess one oddity is that "when you exit the vessel, you appear in the unoccupied space closest to it." Does this imply if I was wearing the ring under my armor, and I entered the vessel, when I came back out it couldn't be back on my finger (under the armor)?

Garfunion
2020-12-18, 01:13 PM
Yeah I could see that. I was going to have my Homunculus Servant carry the ring while it was exposed. I guess one oddity is that "when you exit the vessel, you appear in the unoccupied space closest to it." Does this imply if I was wearing the ring under my armor, and I entered the vessel, when I came back out it couldn't be back on my finger (under the armor)?
First I would think that your armor that you are wearing would go in with you. As for the ring being back on your finger once you exit, that is a different matter and I’m going to assume no.

Silpharon
2020-12-18, 01:25 PM
First I would think that your armor that you are wearing would go in with you. As for the ring being back on your finger once you exit, that is a different matter and I’m going to assume no.

Yeah, if it's true that worn items can't be attacked, I might just RP an external slot on my Lightning Launcher to hold it.

I think my main concern was getting hit by a fireball, and whether that would be a problem for the vessel.

Garfunion
2020-12-18, 01:36 PM
I think my main concern was getting hit by a fireball, and whether that would be a problem for the vessel.
Fireball doesn’t do damage to any object that is being worn or carried.