PDA

View Full Version : Character build ideas for a Rime of the Frostmaiden Tabaxi

torrmh
2020-12-18, 03:52 PM
Hello guys, I'm looking for some good ideas for my Rime of the Frostmaiden character.

I want to play a character that moves creatures around on the battlefield, onto hazards like a bonfire or spiked growth or similar (being able to create some of these hazards himself is a good thing). I've been planning to build a nuclear wizard, but was curious if there were any other fun and mechanically sound builds that could be worth trying out, preferably with some versatility out of combat as well :)

I've already been looking at combining Tempest 2 with the Transmute metamagic or Scribes Wizard 2nd level ability, which seems like fun, but I'm not sure it's worth building a character concept around.

It's an AL game, so it's PHB+1 with point buy, and I'm locked in on being a Tabaxi. Currently lvl 3, will be looking to play until at least tier 3.

ftafp
2020-12-18, 05:51 PM
Hello guys, I'm looking for some good ideas for my Rime of the Frostmaiden character.

I want to play a character that moves creatures around on the battlefield, onto hazards like a bonfire or spiked growth or similar (being able to create some of these hazards himself is a good thing). I've been planning to build a nuclear wizard, but was curious if there were any other fun and mechanically sound builds that could be worth trying out, preferably with some versatility out of combat as well :)

I've already been looking at combining Tempest 2 with the Transmute metamagic or Scribes Wizard 2nd level ability, which seems like fun, but I'm not sure it's worth building a character concept around.

It's an AL game, so it's PHB+1 with point buy, and I'm locked in on being a Tabaxi. Currently lvl 3, will be looking to play until at least tier 3.

I'd suggest either a graviturgist or swarmkeeper. Both subclasses excel at forced movement, though the latter is best with some serious multiclassing

loki_ragnarock
2020-12-19, 12:19 AM

So Volo's is your +1. A bit limiting, but okay.

Warlock with repelling blast is probably your best bet, then. Most everything else comes with size limitations.
Go Pact of the Tome to pick up Thorn Whip for some at will pull effects to go with the pushing. Spell list includes cloud of daggers, one of the best scaling spells for pushing/pulling people through damage.

EDIT:
Also Pact of the Tome gets you ritual spells, which net you out of combat potential. Charisma focus lets you lean into social scenes. Non combat focused eldritch invocations can lead to all kinds of cool stuff like reading any language or proficiency in social skills.
Go Great Old One patron; the expanded spell list gets you divinations, the ability to read minds, and you start with one way telepathic communication.

Hits your needs.

torrmh
2020-12-19, 05:27 AM
Swarmkeeper is interesting, makes me think about that bug character in Naruto :) Any suggestions on how to build it?

I don't think Chronurgist is an option I could go with in AL, but I may be mistaken here.

Regarding choice of race, this doesn't count against my +1 restriction in season 10 of AL, so I'm free to pick Xanathar's or Tasha's here :)

Wraith
2020-12-19, 06:48 AM
Since you have Tasha's, one possibility is Rune Knight 3 and then 1 level of any spellcaster thereafter. Make yourself Large sized, Grapple your enemies consistently, and then drag them around the battlefield pushing them into hazards or spells like Bonfire/Spiked Growth as you please. Rune Knight 3/Druid X is probably the most versatile - not only does grapple/dragging through Spike Growth work well with Tabaxi's increased speed, but then you can potentially Wildshape into a beastform with a huge STR bonus and then 'Enlarge' yourself all while concentrating on a spell.

Alternatively, I'm unfamiliar with AL but what is their stance on using Unearthed Arcana? The Sea Sorcerer (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf) subclass is specifically designed to add extra effects to enemies when affected by Lightning, Cold and Movement as early as Level 1 - sounds perfect if you're already intent on picking up spells like Lighting Lure and Eldritch Blast.

ftafp
2020-12-19, 03:52 PM
Swarmkeeper is interesting, makes me think about that bug character in Naruto :) Any suggestions on how to build it?

I don't think Chronurgist is an option I could go with in AL, but I may be mistaken here.

Regarding choice of race, this doesn't count against my +1 restriction in season 10 of AL, so I'm free to pick Xanathar's or Tasha's here :)

for swarmkeeper, remember that the forced movement from your level 3 ability can be in any direction and apply to any attack, including thorn whip. the +1 rule is going to limit you, so discuss team strategies with allies and use thorn whip to drag enemies into the AoE effects of allies