PDA

View Full Version : Variant Subclasses Rule

dmhelp
2020-12-19, 01:09 AM
Ok any big problems with this as a rule modification:

Some single classed characters may choose alternate class subclasses with DM approval and as needed modification. Unlisted subs may also be possible.

Barbarians, monks, rangers, and rogues may choose fighter subclasses gaining their corresponding tier powers based on their class (e.g. barb champion would gain powers at levels 3, 6, 10, and 14, never gaining a 5th power).

Bards, sorcerers, and wizards may choose sorcerer, warlock, or wizard subclasses.

Clerics may mix two cleric domains (e.g. light and war) with DM approval on what feature is gained at each level. Druids may mix two druid circles. Paladins may mix two oaths. Warlocks may mix two patrons (e.g. hex and fiend) to more accurately reflect a specific patron.

Fighters may choose certain rogue subclasses that don’t reference sneak attack with an additional ASI to replace the missing 5th power.

Example of an unapproved request: sorcerers cannot choose Scribes because they lack spellbooks.

Kane0
2020-12-19, 01:15 AM
I think it would be worth codifying this in the homebrew section, there are a lot of variables to hash out

Greywander
2020-12-19, 01:20 AM
I've actually thought it would be really neat if subclasses were entirely separate from the classes, i.e. you could take any subclass, regardless of class. For that to work, though, every class would need to gain subclass features at the same level. They don't.

You could "adopt" a subclass from a different class as long as both classes gain subclass features at the same level. If they don't, then it's no longer a straightforward conversion. You could work it out, but it would be trickier. Also, some classes derive more power from their subclasses than other classes. Rangers, for example, have pretty strong subclasses.

I wish the game had been designed from the outset to let you swap things like this around, but it isn't. Trying to force it is going to be tricky and lead to some unbalanced builds. Honestly, this seems like something that would work better on a case-by-case basis where you have a specific character concept in mind, rather than as a general rule.

Naanomi
2020-12-19, 02:08 AM
If the game were built that completely interchangeable way, no class abilities could reference... sneak attack, ki, spellcasting, Wildshape, inspiration, action siege, rage... it would be a *drastically* different system than we have now, and potentially pretty limiting if intended to be truly universally applied

dmhelp
2020-12-19, 03:37 AM
I have kind of thought of it before but this thread made me think of it again: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?623874-What-subclass-do-you-feel-should-be-in-another-class

I had previously experimented with the idea of arcane subclasses being more fluid (the wizard that makes a pact with Asmodeus). Some directions don’t make as much sense (a sorcerer picking up a bard subclass or a fighter picking up a barbarian subclass that is rage based) which is why I tried to have suggested compatibilities.

Although ranger subclasses tend to have more juice per squeeze you can still get some interesting things like a ranger arcane archer or eldritch knight.

MrStabby
2020-12-19, 03:03 PM
So you could be a land druid, get natural recovery then at level 6 switch into shepherd druid to get supercharged summons... then at 10th level get elemental shapes from moon druid

Kane0
2020-12-19, 05:40 PM
So you could be a land druid, get natural recovery then at level 6 switch into shepherd druid to get supercharged summons... then at 10th level get elemental shapes from moon druid

I dont think multiple subclasses was the intent, rather picking a subclass from another class.