PDA

View Full Version : Just processing my current campaign, thoughts welcome

Drache64
2020-12-19, 04:37 PM
This is largely a vent/getting my ideas out on digital paper, though I am open to feedback and other perspectives from the community.

We were playing online last night and we picked up where we last left off, in the middle of a dungeon.
Some background, I am the only one in the party to be on my 3rd character. At session zero I spent a lot of time and energy crafting a character I would like to play for multiple years. I wrote his back story, I brainstormed his personality and envisioned what it would be like to play the same character over a long time. I presented my DM with the character ahead of time to make sure he would be a good fit for the campaign. I asked if I could be a Mystic (we started about a year and a half ago) and my DM said it would be fine.

A few sessions in, the DM approached me and said my Mystic was not a good fit for the campaign. Specifically he wanted to run a bunch of puzzles and subterfuge and my character was built to be a telepath focusing in precognitive abilities, mind reading, and mind control. In short it was hard to puzzle him. I agreed with the DM, but only had 3 days before our next session and didn’t want to miss out on playing since we only did it once a month. I quickly selected a character from a story I wrote because it would be a character I had already thought through. The DM agreed and my Bladesinger Wizard was introduced into the campaign and my Mystic was dismissed.

This bladesinger was very hard for the DM to work with. He only runs about 1 encounter per day so I enter every fight with full spell slots and ready to go. I danced through every challenge and with a plethora of spells at my disposal, other menial tasks outside of combat were all easy to solve as well. I was loving the character, but it was clear that he was perhaps stepping on the toes of the rest of the party. When they were struggling I was succeeding. Anything that could challenge me was extremely hard for them.

I began to think perhaps a spell caster just wasn’t a right fit for the DM. I approached him and asked if he’d appreciate me switching to a Barbarian, a straightforward bash things to death class. He agreed and we dismissed my bladesinger and introduced my barbarian.

Last night we picked back up in this dungeon. The DM introduces that the BBEG in the dungeon can possess people and take control of their body. I had already let the DM know weeks ago that my Goliath Barbarian spent 5 years under the effect of a Magic Jar spell, trapped in a gem, while an evil wizard paraded around with his body. So this is a HUGE character development issue for my new character. He walks over to the cleric with “dispel” and asks her to make sure the evil man doesn’t take him. The cleric, who is also a pirate, responds “I will let the bad guy take you”. My barbarian begins to nope out of the mission saying he’ll meet the party at the entrance. The Paladin uses an inspiring ability to calm my barbarian down and says she’ll protect him. He agrees to trust her and move forward.

The DM then runs us through a few puzzle rooms. We took perhaps too long at the puzzle but it was mostly because it was a teleportation puzzle and none of us wanted to be teleported out of the night’s mission. We eventually move on and one player finds a cursed gauntlet and decided to put it on. After that player getting a private discussion with the DM, none of us trust her or the obviously sentient gauntlet. The gauntlet was giving us a shortcut through the dungeon and was trying to lead us straight to the BBEG. My barbarian knows the spell magic jar, knows about evil wizards hiding in cursed items who steal your body and is extremely distrustful of the glove.

We (Paladin, Ranger/Warlock, and I) ask to test the glove with Identify and our Warlock’s Sprite’s heartsight. We confirm the glove is celestial, lawful good, and helpful. The DM also announces out of game “Hey guys, the glove is good and you can trust it”. It becomes clear the DM is just trying to speed up the mission.

The premise of the campaign so far has been that the gods of the Dark 6 are taking over the world. We are on a mission to collect 6 pieces of a god killing weapon to kill the dark 6. The Glove says that this is the lair of “The Shadow” one of the gods of the dark 6. The glove says that the last party confronted the god and all died. Now that he found a new party to lead he can try again… we are all level 7.

My barbarian says “hold on, we are going to fight a god, without the god killing weapon we are questing for, and the last party died horribly and now we are going right back in there? Is there some sort of plan? Is there a secret you have? How can we kill a god?”

At this point the game pauses and everyone begins speaking out of character. Some players want to know why I am stalling the game, one says if I don’t want to play I should just have my character wait outside. One player says obviously the DM isn’t going to TPK us. I explain that those are great metagame reasons, but why would our characters go on forward with this? It just doesn’t make sense. I'm not trying to stop the game, I am just asking for a little nudge and I'll jump on that nudge whole hog.

Our bard says that I have changed characters too many times and that being “new to the party” I don’t have a right to hold everyone up. 2 other players say I have valid questions and concerns, the other 2 say they just want to play the game.

The DM cuts the conversation short and asks us to get back to the game, the glove then says this isn’t the true form of the shadow, that it is just a beholder, and we are merely going to defeat his efforts here, not kill the god of the shadow himself. I am much more satisfied with that answer and we proceed in a carrot on a stick trek to the end of the dungeon where the DM stops the game right before the Beholder battle and says we’ll pick up from here next time.

Sorry, I just wanted a place to process these things. What do you guys think, am I a problem player? Where did I step out of line? Personally I felt I had great in character and out of character questions and I just didn’t want to be rushed “carrot on a stick” style through the game. I thought the brief clarification with the sentient magical item was well worth it. Should I have just stuck with my bladesinger, am I one character change too many?

P.S.
My 3rd character the barbarian, is actually my 1st character. We changed the lore of the 1st character, the mystic, to be the evil wizard who was in possession of my barbarian’s body via magic jar. So while it is a 3rd character, I tried to make it easy on everyone and say he is the same character from before just freed from his mental prison.

Silly Name
2020-12-20, 05:43 AM
So, a couple thoughts: changing characters is not an issue. The first time was at the DM's urging, and the second time you did it out of your own volition to fit better with the campaign's power level.

It seems your fellow players spent more time complaining about a legitimate in-character question than it took to actually answer it. This may be a one-off thing due to everyone being tired, or does the group often clash about this sort of stuff? Were they annoyed by your character's earlier refusal to partecipate unless assured the rest of the party made sure he wasn't going to get Soul Jar'd again? Did the pirate-cleric refuse because of some in-character reason?

Tbh, this could be just a small butting of heads and nothing to worry about. How do you feel about the campaign and the other players?

Mastikator
2020-12-20, 06:52 AM
The bard comes off as a jerk to me. You switched character twice to be a better fit for the game and group and therefore you have no right to "hold up the game" by asking good questions about the plan?
It's not your fault the other players went OOC and since 2 of them even had the same concern it's obviously a good concern.

This seems like an inexperienced yet good hearted DM, I hope it's not the same as the one that railroaded you into a dragon's maw. If not then throw them a bone.

Batcathat
2020-12-20, 07:12 AM
Doesn't sound like you're a problem player (of course, we only have your perspective here so I can't say for certain). If it were me, I'd have some issues with the GM (banning certain classes or abilities that might not work with the campaign is fine, but do it before character creation) and some other the other players seems needlessly argumentative (and that's coming from someone close to pathologically unable to agree with other people) but if it's not a reccuring thing, it'll probably be fine.

Silly Name
2020-12-20, 09:58 AM
Doesn't sound like you're a problem player (of course, we only have your perspective here so I can't say for certain). If it were me, I'd have some issues with the GM (banning certain classes or abilities that might not work with the campaign is fine, but do it before character creation) and some other the other players seems needlessly argumentative (and that's coming from someone close to pathologically unable to agree with other people) but if it's not a reccuring thing, it'll probably be fine.

Tbh, if the GM is a novice it's understandable that they need to see a class in action in order to actually gauge its power.

Batcathat
2020-12-20, 10:07 AM
Tbh, if the GM is a novice it's understandable that they need to see a class in action in order to actually gauge its power.

Oh, sure. I wasn't referring to the second character but the first one. Not wanting psychic abilities is one thing (it can certainly be bad for some types of campaigns) but deciding that after a couple of sessions seems like bad form to me. If I had been the GM, I would either have tried coming up with a way for my plans to work despite the Mystic's powers or changed my plans. It's not a huge deal, but I wouldn't like it as a player.

Drache64
2020-12-20, 10:28 AM
So, a couple thoughts: changing characters is not an issue. The first time was at the DM's urging, and the second time you did it out of your own volition to fit better with the campaign's power level.

It seems your fellow players spent more time complaining about a legitimate in-character question than it took to actually answer it. This may be a one-off thing due to everyone being tired, or does the group often clash about this sort of stuff? Were they annoyed by your character's earlier refusal to partecipate unless assured the rest of the party made sure he wasn't going to get Soul Jar'd again? Did the pirate-cleric refuse because of some in-character reason?

Tbh, this could be just a small butting of heads and nothing to worry about. How do you feel about the campaign and the other players?

The bard comes off as a jerk to me. You switched character twice to be a better fit for the game and group and therefore you have no right to "hold up the game" by asking good questions about the plan?
It's not your fault the other players went OOC and since 2 of them even had the same concern it's obviously a good concern.

This seems like an inexperienced yet good hearted DM, I hope it's not the same as the one that railroaded you into a dragon's maw. If not then throw them a bone.

Thank you for the feedback!

Yeah, you know I was processing this more and I think Covid/quarantine has everyone on edge, including me. I think the issue isn't the issue, I think it's probably just lashing out a bit because we have cabin fever.

But the Bard does seem to take issue with me often. I think in real life we clash a bit. She has a habit of interpreting everything I do in the worst light.

My wife is the warlock/ranger and i often talk in "we" when referring to our characters (my wife and I). My wife didn't have a Magic weapon and was low on money. I said to the DM "is there a magic weapon "we" can get for Pan?" The Bard went off on me about how I have no right to speak for her money. I then said "I mean 'we' as my wife and I".

When asking if a session works to the group I'll respond "Thursday isn't good but Friday works for us". The bard will respond "the DM will decide what works for us". To which again I have to say "I mean "us" as my wife and I" (though to be fair, we host the group so the DM really does need to make sure he's going to show up to a home that is unlocked...)

It's just that and other quirks like my character woke up in the morning and waited by the cart. The DM said "is the group ready to go?" The party said yes, and the DM said "okay gather your group".

My character called out "hey ladies we're ready to go!" (It's an all female party except me).

The bard looked at the DM and asked out of character "does he get to dictate where my character is? Because I don't want to be there"

Me: uh. I don't know where you are, my character is just calling out in general.

Bard ignores me and waits for the DM to respond "uh, no you decide where your character is".

This, among many other passive aggressive comments just seem to be how the Bard treats me. My wife has confirmed I'm not crazy, that the bard just doesn't seem to like me.

MrStabby
2020-12-21, 01:14 PM
It doesn't sound like a big issue. You did change charaters a lot, but for somewhat altruistic reasons. That said if the others don't know why they might just see "this person just keeps making problem characters that diminish my fun in the game". They see one aspect of outcome, not intent.

As for playing your character - its a pretty reasonable in character reaction reflected in a pre-established back story and thay by itself shouldn't be an issue in most games. What I would look for is whether this kind of richer character is the right fit for your table. Do other PCs have their back story worked into their reactions to the game or are they playing more of a strategy game/board game (which is fine). They may find this kind of question about motivation rather than a focus on solving the problem to be itself problematic and not reflective of the type of game they want to play.

Not something anyone has done wrong, but just a mismatch.

And for worrying about facing off against a god? Yeah, a legit concern. Again it may depend on the campaign style though. Is it a legitimate tactical concern as it is a real possability? Ir is it another IC "indulgence" where you are roleplaying rather than solving the challenge?

Faily
2020-12-22, 09:38 AM
As you said, there seems to be some tensions with the Bard.

Maybe try to talk it out with them, just the two of you (not in front of the other players, and not bringing in your partner as it could feel like they're being "ganged up on").

Just a "hi, I've noticed over the sessions that you seem very antagonistic towards me. If it's just the way your character feels about mine, for reasons I don't know, that's perfectly fine of course. But I just want confirmation then that it is a In-Character thing, and not an Out-Of-Character thing. If it is an OOC-thing, then I apologise if there's anything I've done to cause this, and would like to work out with you how I can make that up to you and we can move forward together".

Some people just have personality clashes though, and that's fine, but I think it's good to maybe clear the air to avoid it reaching an uncomfortable point for the other players and GM if it's going to continue to be contentious attitude.

Drache64
2020-12-22, 11:54 AM
As you said, there seems to be some tensions with the Bard.

Maybe try to talk it out with them, just the two of you (not in front of the other players, and not bringing in your partner as it could feel like they're being "ganged up on").

Just a "hi, I've noticed over the sessions that you seem very antagonistic towards me. If it's just the way your character feels about mine, for reasons I don't know, that's perfectly fine of course. But I just want confirmation then that it is a In-Character thing, and not an Out-Of-Character thing. If it is an OOC-thing, then I apologise if there's anything I've done to cause this, and would like to work out with you how I can make that up to you and we can move forward together".

Some people just have personality clashes though, and that's fine, but I think it's good to maybe clear the air to avoid it reaching an uncomfortable point for the other players and GM if it's going to continue to be contentious attitude.

Great advice! I did do that before however. She said she feels I am manipulating her when trying to talk things out.

I responded "I'm sorry I just don't want you to feel uncomfortable"

To which she responds "see, that's manipulation. I get to feel how I want to feel"

I think it's a lost cause. I've determined that I am going to enjoy playing D&D with my 6 Friends who have no problem with me, and she can either adapt to me or not. But it's become clear the only way to make her happy is for me to sit quietly or leave.

Faily
2020-12-23, 02:49 AM
Oof, that does sound like a lost cause, yeah. I'm sorry to hear that.

Hoping you'll continue to have fun with your friends at least, and maybe just don't engage with her, I guess. It seems she's already very decided in her state of mind.

Phhase
2020-12-29, 04:55 PM
Great advice! I did do that before however. She said she feels I am manipulating her when trying to talk things out.

I responded "I'm sorry I just don't want you to feel uncomfortable"

To which she responds "see, that's manipulation. I get to feel how I want to feel"

I think it's a lost cause. I've determined that I am going to enjoy playing D&D with my 6 Friends who have no problem with me, and she can either adapt to me or not. But it's become clear the only way to make her happy is for me to sit quietly or leave.

God that makes me so sad, it sounds like she has issues. Tragic how hard it is to be honest these days. Just be nice. I recommend making more general statements, per the above, try instead: "I just want to avoid causing problems," or "I just want to make sure I understand everything properly." (Sorry, inner therapist coming out)

As far as the post, yeah, in my book, you're 110% in the clear. You bent over backwards to have a character that didn't make the campaign less fun to play (Oughta make it clear you switched characters for THEM and not because you were just in a different mood that day), and you asked a reasonable question that literally anyone capable of independent, rational thought would ask,not just for your safety, but for everyone's. Perhaps your DM takes player paranoia personally? Like some sort of "What, you don't trust me?" If he doesn't, then in my (admittedly very biased and ever-vigilant) mind, they ought to be THANKING you for potentially saving them from being mortally endangered (Though I wouldn't recommend bringing this fact up in anything close to a serious context, if at all, as it has a very strong self-satisfied bunghole flavor).

Side note: hope your DM isn't too restrictive? To me, the fun of DND is in achieving the correct result through the most complex and otherwise incorrect methods. I'm going to the castle anyways, why not go in through the window instead of the front gates? It's a great deal quieter. And really, none of those character switches should've happened. A mystic like that is PERFECT in my mind, for that kind of campaign. And if the DM doesn't want you mining everyone's brains like ore, then....there's Mind Blank. Or a ring of Mind Shielding. Or mind invasion could be a crime. Or some minds are dangerous to read. Or...anything, really! Sorry again for soapboxing, it just really grinds my gears when I see all these obvious fixes being glossed over by someone that seems too inflexible not to know that there are countermeasures for pretty much anything a player can do. For god's sake man, plan the campaign around the abilities of your players, not the other way around!

Jay R
2020-12-30, 10:10 PM
It's an awkward party that doesn't work well together yet. That's a standard part of adventure stories.

People often struggle to get along. This is normal -- for players and for characters.

Like Han, Leia, and Luke.
Like Ron, Hermione, and Harry.
Like Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy.
Like D'Artagnan and the three musketeers.
Like the Guardians of the Galaxy, or the Avengers.

I recommend that you consider learning to work well together to be part of the story of your barbarian's hero journey, and shrug off the incidentals along the way.

[On the meta-level, consider players learning to work well together to be part of becoming better at the game.]

aglondier
2020-12-31, 10:59 AM
Happy New Year.

As to the bard player...you tried. At the end of the day, if this person is too antagonistic and disruptive, your group may have to cut her loose. I note that you and your wife are hosting the group, that makes her antagonism towards you rather rude as well. A group I was part of years ago had a similar problem, and just stopped inviting the problem person to games...

Ajustusdaniel
2020-12-31, 11:09 AM
It's an awkward party that doesn't work well together yet. That's a standard part of adventure stories.

People often struggle to get along. This is normal -- for players and for characters.

Like Han, Leia, and Luke.
Like Ron, Hermione, and Harry.
Like Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy.
Like D'Artagnan and the three musketeers.
Like the Guardians of the Galaxy, or the Avengers.

I recommend that you consider learning to work well together to be part of the story of your barbarian's hero journey, and shrug off the incidentals along the way.

[On the meta-level, consider players learning to work well together to be part of becoming better at the game.]

And just imagine Han Solo, Ron Weasley, Peter Pevensie, D'Artagnan and Rocket Racoon trying to work together!

Jay R
2021-01-06, 10:08 PM
And just imagine Han Solo, Ron Weasley, Peter Pevensie, D'Artagnan and Rocket Racoon trying to work together!

Oh, man, I want to play this party.