PDA

View Full Version : How would you build the most halflingy halfling?

Rfkannen
2020-12-19, 05:19 PM
So if you want to play the most elfy elf, you got the bladesinger wizard. Orcs can pretty clearly go for berzerker barbarian. Tieflings get fiend warlock, ect.

One thing I can't decide though, if you wanted to make a halfling that most embodied the idea of a halfling, what would you build?

In Basic dnd, the halfling was sort of a.... ranger fighter rogue. They were good at listening at doors like a rogue, they were stealthy in nature like a ranger, and they could wear plate armor like a fighter. They were also the only class besides fighter that could own property at level 1.

That doesn't really translate to 5e though, and our ideas of what a halfling are might have changed. What do you think the most halfling-y way to build a halfling is now?

OldTrees1
2020-12-19, 05:28 PM
The most halflingy halfling is a pair of siblings.

One is a stalwart guard that watches over the community during the day. Both at the rare settlement and on the caravan's migration.

The other is a rogue that protects the community at night. Doing the less savory but necessary tasks.

This division mirrors that of the halfing's patron goddess(es) YONDALLA/DALLAH THAUN at least according to 3E lore (Races of the Wild pg 54-55).

So Halfling Paladin using Shield + Dex + Medium Armor and Halfling Rogue (Arcane Trickster?) using Daggers.

Warder
2020-12-19, 05:33 PM
A slinger! I don't have a specific build, but I'd definitely build around the humble sling. Since 5e weapon tables are very bland, slings have never had much to make them stand out as weapons... until now! Tasha added the Crusher feet so you can reposition enemies from afar, which has so many uses I don't even know where to begin.

CheddarChampion
2020-12-19, 05:36 PM
Lightfoot Halfling Thief, single classed.

If you want a build:
8/16/14/12/12/14 for initial stats.
Proficiency in Stealth, Sleight of Hand, Acrobatics, Perception, Insight, and Performance.
Expertise in Stealth & Sleight of Hand, then Acrobatics & Perception.
For ASI's, Dex+2, Dex+2, Bountiful Luck, Lucky, Skulker, and Alert.

In combat, bonus action hide behind allies and use a sling for ranged sneak attacks. Ideally, Skulker allows you to hide behind bushes or in tall grass.

RogueJK
2020-12-19, 06:00 PM
Lightfoot Halfling Thief

Pretty much this, with a sling.

Take the new Chef feat too.

Tanarii
2020-12-20, 06:38 PM
Stout Halfling Dex Fighter (Champion) Folk Hero

Lightfoot Halfling Rogue (Scout), couple of different background work here: Barge Gypsy (Sailor), Caravan Gypsy (Outlander), or roving trader (Guild Merchant)

And of course Halfling Berserker Barbarian Raider (Pirate)
Do not mess with Halfling raiders. (https://critical-hits.com/blog/2016/01/20/the-empire-elves-and-the-tourism-travel-guide/)

LordShade
2020-12-20, 08:45 PM

If you want a build:
Proficiency in Stealth, Sleight of Hand, Acrobatics, Perception, Insight, and Performance.

In combat, bonus action hide behind allies and use a sling for ranged sneak attacks. Ideally, Skulker allows you to hide behind bushes or in tall grass.

This looks spot on to me... endorsed

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-21, 09:15 AM

If you want a build:

In combat, bonus action hide behind allies and use a sling for ranged sneak attacks. Ideally, Skulker allows you to hide behind bushes or in tall grass. Not sure I'd not sub in Deception or Persuasion for Performance. But that's a solid kit, I'd bus in +2 Con for Bountiful Luck.

Pretty much this, with a sling.

Take the new Chef feat too. Ooh, not a bad idea.

Dualswinger
2020-12-21, 09:20 AM

If you want a build:

Thief? Or... Burglar? :smallwink:

JellyPooga
2020-12-21, 09:29 AM
The most halflingy halfling is a pair of siblings.

One is a stalwart guard that watches over the community during the day. Both at the rare settlement and on the caravan's migration.

The other is a rogue that protects the community at night. Doing the less savory but necessary tasks.

This division mirrors that of the halfing's patron goddess(es) YONDALLA/DALLAH THAUN at least according to 3E lore (Races of the Wild pg 54-55).

So Halfling Paladin using Shield + Dex + Medium Armor and Halfling Rogue (Arcane Trickster?) using Daggers.

Siblings? Or are they different aspects of the same person?

Lightfoot Halfling Paladin (Vengeance) / Rogue (Arcane Trickster) would make a remarkably thematic Whisperknife build that can operate as a dagger-throwing assassin after dark and then during the day as a hearty, stalwart protector of the community, both in earnest and as a cover-identity.

Tanarii
2020-12-21, 09:29 AM
Lightfoot Halfling Thief, single classed
Yeah, that's a solid post-3e halfling.

Pre-3e classic halfling should definitely be a Stout Fighter though. Maybe with a splash of Rogue.

OldTrees1
2020-12-21, 11:02 AM
Siblings? Or are they different aspects of the same person?

Lightfoot Halfling Paladin (Vengeance) / Rogue (Arcane Trickster) would make a remarkably thematic Whisperknife build that can operate as a dagger-throwing assassin after dark and then during the day as a hearty, stalwart protector of the community, both in earnest and as a cover-identity.

Well, IIRC the goddess had to literally split herself into two beings and the halfling culture tended to view the roles separately.

You could try it as different aspects of the same person. That is a good idea. Although I don't think Vengeance Paladin would fit, they have less protective features and you would further dilute it with multiclassing. I would lean towards Ancients/Trickster.

RogueJK
2020-12-21, 12:09 PM
Yeah, that's a solid post-3e halfling.

That's also a solid OD&D Tolkienesque Hobbit "burglar".

Tanarii
2020-12-21, 08:05 PM
That's also a solid OD&D Tolkienesque Hobbit "burglar".
Nah. Dex fighters all the way.