View Full Version : Halley, Halley, Halley....

Beatnik gamer
2007-11-05, 09:41 PM
Has anyone else noticed that nary a word was said about Belkar in the debate about returning to AC, and that hinjo even said he wouldn't risk a mission back to the city for ONE person, and that elan didn't even mention it was technically 2 people (Halley and belkar) and a body (roy)?

Man, they treat belkar with less respect than the average redshirt gets treated on Original trek.

I'd like to see at least a mention of the belkster here and there. Maybe Vaarsavius could remind people of Mrs. Bitterleaf's little boy, since he did care enough to keep miko from skewering him a while back...

Hood
2007-11-05, 09:45 PM
I think everybody assumes that either:

a. Belkar can take care of himself

b. If he and Haley are seperated, then he can kill as much as he likes--he has no particular reason to leave

c. he doesn't care about them, they don't care about him. Beyond him being a teammate, that is.

So, it seems that they're worried about Haley, but that they figure Belkar will be with her. They just don't worry about him because, really, who would cry if Belkar died? (besides maybe Elan)

NikkTheTrick
2007-11-05, 09:46 PM
Maybe Vaarsavius could remind people of Mrs. Bitterleaf's little boy, since he did care enough to keep miko from skewering him a while back...
I think V wanted exp for killing Belkar for himself.

"Back off, miss crazy Paladin. He is mine!"

Twisted Otaku
2007-11-06, 12:42 AM
Has anyone else noticed that nary a word was said about Belkar in the debate about returning to AC, and that hinjo even said he wouldn't risk a mission back to the city for ONE person,

Maybe because he would risk it for two people : p stupid arguement, and I hardly thing Hinjo cares about Belkar. This is the halfling that chewed him out right after his city was destroyed, and almost wanted to kill him after he got a cooler dog than he did.

Felixaar
2007-11-06, 01:45 AM
I think its because, basically, they dont really care all that much. I mean, think about it... at every chance, the oots have sided against having Belkar in the team (except Roy) and everytime Belkar helps them out he appears to have done it for himself. Ofcourse, it could be that he doesnt want to admit he likes being part of the group, but I dont think the Oots can see that.

Edit: Also, Haley is spelt with one l.

Talitha
2007-11-06, 06:17 AM
Maybe I'm way off here, but I read "can't go back for just one person" as meaning that Hinjo wont put the entire ship/fleet in danger at the request of just one person - ie Elan. After all, there's going to be a lot more people still stranded and hiding in AC than just Hayley and Belkar.

evileeyore
2007-11-06, 06:47 AM
Has anyone else noticed that nary a word was said about Belkar in the debate about returning to AC...Yes and it is indicative of how Elan and Hinjo feel...

You will notice no one else was discussing this, yes?

Man, they treat belkar with less respect than the average redshirt gets treated on Original trek.Maybe because he is an insolent, nigh useless, sociopathic little berk that they would be better off replacing?

Could just be my opinion.

I'd like to see at least a mention of the belkster here and there. Maybe Vaarsavius could remind people of Mrs. Bitterleaf's little boy, since he did care enough to keep miko from skewering him a while back...I have no doubt there will be mention when they reach Azure City and he is still alive... unless...

Belkar died and we get the difficult moral dilemna of "to Res, or not to Res".

I_R_Thog
2007-11-06, 07:48 AM
How do you quote?

"Maybe because he is an insolent, nigh useless, sociopathic little berk that they would be better off replacing?

Could just be my opinion."

I don't agree with you here. Though he may be a useless tracker, which is what Roy hired him for, he is still a very good barbarian/fighter, and took on a lot of hobgoblins by himself, with no real advantages. Also, since he's "evil" I think that will help the party at some points. (Like when that goblin's unholy blight didn't affect him.)

Max_Sinister
2007-11-06, 08:12 AM
What, Halley's comet? ;-)

Seriously, noone likes Belkar that much.

I hope he isn't tempted to change sides. If the Mark of justice was a fake, or one of the evil spellcasters could take it off... better not think about it.

Animefunkmaster
2007-11-06, 08:28 AM
I forgot all about the mark of justice. That must be a pain.:smallfurious:

squidthingy
2007-11-06, 08:38 AM
Hinjo also said they never contacted haley, mabye they contacted belkar and are not worried about him

Greebo
2007-11-06, 08:42 AM
Edit: Also, Haley is spelt with one l.

You mean spelled.

evileeyore
2007-11-06, 10:14 AM
You mean spelled.
"Spelt" is perfectly correct. :smallannoyed:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt

Tal9922
2007-11-06, 10:49 AM
Remember this is Elan and Hinjo we're talking about here. Hinjo has absolutely no reason to sympathize with Belkar, who killed one of his guards, and Elan is far more worried about Haley, and likely doesn't care much for Belkar too much either, what with him trying to kill him for XP and all.:smallbiggrin:

And don't forget Durkon and V wouldn't even go back for Haley, so it's not necessarily that.

Lolzords
2007-11-06, 11:36 AM
I just realised, belkar is still in a town with the mark of shame on him for three months, poor him.

Greebo
2007-11-06, 11:45 AM
"Spelt" is perfectly correct. :smallannoyed:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt
Not according to Mirriam Webster:
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/spelt

1spelt Listen to the pronunciation of 1spelt
Pronunciation:
\ˈspelt\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin spelta, of Germanic origin; perhaps akin to Middle High German spelte split piece of wood, Old High German spaltan to split — more at split
Date:
before 12th century

: an ancient wheat (Triticum spelta syn. T. aestivum spelta) with spikelets containing two light red grains; also : the grain of spelt

I don't put much stock in dictionary.reference.com.

Caractacus
2007-11-06, 12:17 PM

I don't put much stock in dictionary.reference.com.

Ah, but you use MErriam Webster and have to use 'spelled'...

But when I use 'spelt', it's okay...

...I am English and we get to use other spelling options - Yay for diversity! :smallcool:

(e.g. Macmillan English Dictionary).

Cythraul
2007-11-06, 12:28 PM
Quote:
1spelt

Erm, actually, yes, also according to M-W... from the same link, no less.

spelt
2 entries found.

Main Entry:
2spelt
Pronunciation:
\?spelt\
chiefly British past and past participle of spell

Not to mention the fact that both spellings are in the OED too...

Edit: Oops, did I mention it? Ah well... it's out there now!

Greebo
2007-11-06, 12:50 PM
Okay, I will accept the ruling of the OED.

In fact I tried to check the OED, but I'm not shelling out $30/month for a subscription to see it online.

Lissou
2007-11-06, 02:08 PM
"spelt" is the British form. "spell" is on the list of
irregular verbs, along with learn > learnt and a couple others that are not irregular in American English.

So, if you prefer, "spelt" is originally the right spelling, but Americans thought it would be simpler to just make the verb regular, and now both might work, depending on where you're from.

On the other end, "spelled" wouldn't be accepted as valid in school in France, but that because we're all taught British English, and are not allowed to use American English unless we study it, but then it's not called "English class" it's called "American class".
But I guess it makes sense to learn how to speak like the people who live the closest to you.

I spent some time in Canada, and people pronounced Spanish works with a mexican accent, and not the "proper Spanish accent" I was taught in school, so I'd say that's pretty much the same thing.

evileeyore
2007-11-06, 02:47 PM
"Stay on target, stay on target..."

How do you quote?Button to the lower right of the Post you wish to quote. Says "Quote".

I don't agree with you here. Though he may be a useless tracker, which is what Roy hired him for, he is still a very good barbarian/fighter, and took on a lot of hobgoblins by himself, with no real advantages. Also, since he's "evil" I think that will help the party at some points. (Like when that goblin's unholy blight didn't affect him.)My honest opinion:

Belkar is useless for everything other than 3 things. 1 - Extra damage and off-tanking (when he wants to he can meatshield for the casters.) 2 - Alignment diversity. 3 - Humor.

However each of these three things could be handled by someone else and with a great deal more party cohesion. Say a non-Good Ranger who could actually track, stick to a plan, and crack a few jokes. About the only character who actually wants Belkar around is Roy and that is only because Roy's morales prohibit him from doing what is right.**

However, that said, I do see what makes him amusing to everyone else. I just dislike the character. Almost as intensely as the Miko-Haters League of Hating Miko actually hate Miko. (Whom I liked :smallwink: )

**"Never let your sense of morales get in the way of doing what's right." Isaac Asimov

geekyhedgehog
2007-11-06, 03:23 PM
Don't forget:

4. Gourmet Cooking (#475)
5. Stabbing Undead (#113)
6. Scouting (#42)
7. Stabbing Goblins, dead or alive (#111 and #115)
8. Sundering Raipiers (#17)
9. Vandalizing Statues (#29)

the list just goes on and on.....................

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-06, 03:26 PM
Why are people referring to Vaarsuvius by male pronouns? :smallconfused:

Belkar Rocks
2007-11-06, 03:42 PM
Why are people referring to Vaarsuvius by male pronouns? :smallconfused:Because they can.

Beatnik gamer
2007-11-06, 05:09 PM
"Useles"?

Belkar killed more enemy in the batle for Azure city than anyone else, by a long shot. He also saved hinjo's pompous as, BTW.

Roy was just about useles in the battle for AC, Belkar was one of the kost useful characters in the battle.

Calulithrar
2007-11-06, 06:32 PM
Well the reason why they are refering to V as male as The Giant pointed out is because male is pseudo-neuter in english

Also Elan was specifically asking about going back for Haley not Haley and Belkar

And last I laugh at your "spelled" :smallamused:

newcresty
2007-11-06, 08:01 PM
and always remember, V saved Belkar not because he/she/it/(??) likes Belkar, just because he/she/it/(??) hates Miko EVEN more than Belkar, so pissing off Miko (and frustrating her attemps) was reason enough to save Belkar from death.

the mysterian
2007-11-06, 08:07 PM
they are worried about haley with belkar. hint hint. wink wink.........................................he will stab her.....

DasK
2007-11-06, 10:51 PM
okay, do you know what time it is? it's time to remember...

Belkar had a mark of justice, he couldn't kill anything INSIDE a city, and he could go to far from Roy, and he doesn't have enoght strengt to carry his body everiwere. Now, Roy is dead, and in 3 mounth is body could have rotten, so he is probably cursed....

evileeyore
2007-11-06, 11:24 PM
Belkar had a mark of justice, he couldn't kill anything INSIDE a city, and he could go to far from Roy..False.

He can't kill in a city or go far from Roy without triggering the Mark, which will then steadly weaken him till he can't move, etc.

If you don't think Belkar can't find reason enough to allow that in order to whack the right person (or horse) you are sadly mistaken.

However I have doubts that this happened. But it would be very cool if Belkar killed someone to protect HIMSELF and Haley and Haley has been nursing him the last 3 months... and triggering the Florence Nightengale Syndrome. I wouls LOL.

Da Luniz
2007-11-07, 05:01 AM
its assumed if Halley cant be reached Belker is either dead
responseable for Halley's death and is dragging Roy's corpse with him on his trail of death
or is laying low with Halley for whatever reason

Why are people referring to Vaarsuvius by male pronouns? :smallconfused:

because as posted above, mle is considered gender neutral

and 2, until will see those black rectangle pastes appear across V's chest
male is more likely than female

PePe QuiCoSE
2007-11-07, 07:24 AM
although it's quite clear the point, i just wanted to point towards this comic, just because it hasn't been done (i think)

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0231.html

dragongirl13
2007-11-07, 10:16 PM
Look, practically nobody gives a care about the psycho halfling.

And it's Haley, not Halley. :smallannoyed:

Arnen
2007-11-07, 10:49 PM
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia...

I had to. :smallbiggrin:

Ahem. As has been said before, I think everyone either assumes that Belkar can take care of himself, or simply doesn't care much about him (or at least cares about Haley more).