PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 10th level 2 players with 2 sidekicks!

Oramac
2020-12-19, 06:13 PM
Looking for a little help optimizing here. The DM has specifically told us that optimizing is wise, as he is pulling and modifying dungeons from Tomb of Annihilation. (Please no spoilers, they probably wouldn't matter anyway)

In any case, the players are myself and the DM's son (15). We have our characters fairly committed, but suggestions are definitely welcome. Sidekick help is needed as well. We're starting at 10th level

One restriction is we're all playing Goblinoid races, as we're exploring some of the backstory elements in my personal homebrew world (which the DM has kindly agreed to use). The current group is:

- 10 Circle of Stars Hobgoblin Druid (me)
- 7 Astral Monk / 3 Twilight Cleric Bugbear (is bugbear technically a goblinoid??)

My spells are:

C: Guidance, Druidcraft, Magic Stone, Mending, Mold Earth
1: Guiding Bolt (archetype), Detect Magic, Healing Word, Faerie Fire, Entangle, Fog Cloud, Cure Wounds (from a Staff of Healing)
2: Barkskin, Heat Metal, Hold Person, Pass Without Trace
3: Dispel Magic, Water Walk
4: Conjure Woodland Beings, Freedom of Movement
5: Reincarnate, Contagion (DM says RAW is the name of the game)

I have not asked what Cleric spells the other player is taking, but he won't get many as he is only 3 levels of Cleric. My plan was to make his sidekick a Warrior and mine a Spellcaster, though I'm open to suggestions.

5eNeedsDarksun
2020-12-19, 09:55 PM
Could a sidekick be a steed of some sort? I'm currently playing an 8th level character with a giant spider steed that helps mobility and my guy can 'milk' for some extra poison damage. Steeders are even better if you want awesome jumping movement.

da newt
2020-12-20, 01:12 PM
You may want to ensure your party has someone who can do classic rogue stuff - locks, traps, secret passages, scout, stealth, etc.

MaxWilson
2020-12-20, 01:23 PM
\(is bugbear technically a goblinoid??)

Very much yes. Despite the name, bugbears in (A)D&D have always been basically human-sized or larger goblins.

Oramac
2020-12-20, 01:34 PM
Could a sidekick be a steed of some sort? I'm currently playing an 8th level character with a giant spider steed that helps mobility and my guy can 'milk' for some extra poison damage. Steeders are even better if you want awesome jumping movement.

I have no idea honestly. That's not really what we're going for in this game (though it would be pretty awesome)

You may want to ensure your party has someone who can do classic rogue stuff - locks, traps, secret passages, scout, stealth, etc.

Funny you mention it. I just changed my mind to have my sidekick be an Expert instead of a spellcaster for that very reason.

Very much yes. Despite the name, bugbears in (A)D&D have always been basically human-sized or larger goblins.

Excellent! I wasn't sure. Glad to confirm.