PDA

View Full Version : How would you make the dwarfiest dwarf?

Rfkannen
2020-12-19, 09:21 PM
Made a thread about making the halfling build that most embodied halflings, this got me thinking about other races, in this case, the dwarf.

What character build do you think would make the most dwarfy dwarf?

TyGuy
2020-12-19, 09:48 PM
Top 3 quintessential classes are barbarian, cleric, fighter.

But my most recent dwarfiest dwarf was a champion fighter- vengeance paladin. Quit before it came online but it was a champion of Clangeddin Silverbeard. He wielded two hand axes for the time being but I was going to take dual wield master and upgrade to battleaxes.

RogueJK
2020-12-19, 10:08 PM
Mountain Dwarf Champion Fighter/Forge Cleric
Battleaxe/Warhammer and Shield
Defense fighting style
Heavy Armor Master feat, and maybe Shield Master too
High STR and CON, Moderate WIS, low INT, DEX and CHA
Athletics proficiency
Smith and/or Miner's Tools proficiency

Kane0
2020-12-19, 10:14 PM
Dont forget the belt of dwarvenkind.

sayaijin
2020-12-19, 10:30 PM
Dwarves may vary from setting to setting, but I always see them as forge masters/smiths, so forge cleric.

Zhorn
2020-12-19, 10:48 PM
Grow Beard
Get Drunk
Dig Hole
Profit

Thunderous Mojo
2020-12-19, 10:51 PM
Dwarf Monk of the Long Death.
Dedicated Weapon Battle Axe.

A very good chassis to build a Warhammer Style Troll Slayer on.

Naanomi
2020-12-19, 11:53 PM
I mean... battlerager is the only race restricted class option left so... seems like it should be on the table

Unoriginal
2020-12-20, 12:00 AM
A Dwarf Monk of the Astral Self whose Astral Self is another Dwarf (but a giant one), with the feat Dwarven Fortitude (meaning you are the descendant of dwarven heroes, and an efficient feat on a Monk), would be the dwarfiest Dwarf possible in the 5e system.

While it may seems unorthodox, being an immune-to-poison, hard-to-charm bruiser who can punch people by the fact of being a Dwarf really hard, on a planar level, and who can heal themselves by actively being a Dwarf at the enemy's attacks is not to ignored. Hill Dwarves are known to be wise, too, so it's still fitting, and with the options from the Tasha's using a traditional Dwarf weapon won't hinder the Monk part.

RogueJK
2020-12-20, 12:01 AM
Battlerager is only indicative of an extremely small niche of Dwarven culture.

(And the subclass is pretty lackluster to boot.)

GiantOctopodes
2020-12-20, 12:49 AM
Attributes of Dwarves, as defined in the PHB:
They're rich in Tradition, they live Underground, they're Miners, Smiths, Workers of Stone and Metal, they Hate Goblins and Orcs, they're Bold and hardy, skilled warriors, Determined, loyal, decisive, and stubborn. They have a Strong sense of justice, are slow to forget wrongs, can have avarice, dislike boats, and are slow to trust. They tend to be Lawful Good, and value the bonds of the clan. Generally speaking they automatically get weapon and / or armor proficiency, resistance to poison, benefits to crafting and the underground, and bonuses to constitution, plus strength or wisdom.

Classes which don't fit:
Barbarian - Battleragers notwithstanding, the "unthinking fury" of a Barbarian does not mesh with the lawful nature of a Dwarf, and their specific focus on unarmored combat does not mesh with the specific training towards heavier armor and smithing prevalent among dwarves.
Bard - Being slow to trust does not mesh with the nature of a bard as an entertainer, nor does their wanderlust mesh with the love of the clan Dwarves have.
Druid - Their reverence for the sun and moon do not mesh with the Dwarves nature as living underground, and their emphasis on the balance of nature does not mesh with the mining nature of dwarves, who shape the landscape around them
Monk - Their seclusion and lack of focus on material things does not mesh with Dwarves avarice and love of the clan. Their focus on unarmored combat does not mesh with the Dwarves proclivities towards armor.
Rogue - The "scams and heists" and "emphasis on cunning over raw strength" of Rogues don't really mesh with the strong sense of justice, or bold and hardy nature of dwarves.
Sorcerer - By definition, something relying on an exotic bloodline or otherworldly influences can't make the dwarfiest dwarf.
Warlock - Pacts with outsiders clashes with loyalty to the clan above all else.

Classes which do fit:
Cleric - Ancient traditions, strong sense of justice, bonuses to wisdom, loyalty, this all fits.
Fighter - Skilled warriors is one of their things. Bonuses to strength and con also reinforce the core of this class.
Paladin - Everything which applies to fighters and clerics applies to them.

Interesting but questionable:
Ranger - Favored Enemy (Orcs and Goblins), Favored Terrain (Mountain or Underdark), and Wisdom as a primary spellcasting attribute can make this a *much* better fit than I would have thought initially. The emphasis on stealth could be construed to conflict with the bold nature of dwarves and their focus on heavier armor, but unless you go Archery there's really no reason at all why that must be true, and fundamentally they're defenders of the borders of civilization, which dwarves would be all about.
Wizard - The strongest argument against Wizard which doesn't rely on previous editions would just be that dwarves don't have a bonus to Int, there's nothing about their determination, stubbornness, lawful nature, or avarice which runs counter to the path of a Wizard. Though they lack any inherent armor proficiencies, nothing about them in this edition is built around that, they just don't happen to have any baseline.

Best Backgrounds: Acolyte, Folk Hero, Guild Artisan, Soldier

Hrmm going to have to put more thought into this. I'm definitely not going Wizard I don't think, there would be arguments about the skilled soldier part I feel and it just won't fit the "image" I at least have of Dwarves. Ranger though is really interesting to me, I really feel you can embody Dwarves with them possibly better than any other class, and will really flesh that one out, and compare it to what I would consider a "stock standard" fighter / cleric / paladin dwarf. Honestly any of those 3 seem equally fine in regards to their dwarfiness, I don't see anything that really makes one more dwarfy than another, which is likely why I lean ranger.

Thunderous Mojo
2020-12-20, 01:32 AM
Not to derail the thread, but in mythological terms there really is not much in written myths about dwarves. Thor kicks a dwarf into a fire at a funeral. The dwarves make a hair transplant spun of gold for Sif.

That is essentially the bulk of the role dwarves play in Norse Mythos, that is written down. Germanic stories add in some more chapters for dwarves, but not much different.

"Dwarven-ness" is, (relatively speaking), a new identity...that is ripe for expansion.

Kane0
2020-12-20, 01:59 AM
Obviously you need to take levels in Dwarf, just like the good ol’ days.

Rfkannen
2020-12-20, 02:58 AM
Obviously you need to take levels in Dwarf, just like the good ol’ days.

taking a quick look at my b/x dnd books, its kinda interesting that the dwarf is basically a fighter thief hybrid. Not what you picture now!

Rule-Of-Three
2020-12-20, 05:34 AM
In the Tolkienian sense of what is dwarfy or not, you'd be way ahead of the curve if you played a female with a beard. Very few systems and players port that element of his canon over.

The best non-Tolkien contribution to what makes a dwarf a dwarf is GW's Book of Grudges. That concept is right on the nose and a wonderful addition to their lore.

Unoriginal
2020-12-20, 05:38 AM
taking a quick look at my b/x dnd books, its kinda interesting that the dwarf is basically a fighter thief hybrid. Not what you picture now!

The part in the Two Towers book where Gimli stealth around so well not even Aragorn sees him, resulting in the dwarf sneak attacking two orcs, is generally forgotten.

Eldariel
2020-12-20, 05:43 AM
Probably just take all the Con feats. Durable, Dwarven Fortitude, Squat Nimbleness, Tavern Brawler. Hell, take Tough while at it. Maybe cut down on the ****ty feats: Res: Con, Dwarven Fortitude, Heavy Armor Master, Tough, Durable. Then main class...Cleric seems like about the way to go. Fighting, hammers, Forge, Moradin. Yeah, that sounds about right. Hill Dwarf Forge Cleric of Moradin with Clan Crafter background and then just be a ball of brawn and guts. That actually works pretty well; Cleric is about the best class for taking Dodge action so Res: Con + Dwarven Fortitude is a solid combo and then you need one half-feat or Wis+Cha combo to increase your Con to 20 (you obviously start with 17 and are a Hill Dwarf). Tough and Heavy Armor Master are multiplicatory and it gets you some Str for when you wanna hit things in the melee. Raising your Wis is kinda lacking but otherwise you're pretty good and definitely very dwarfy (skyhigh defenses, resistances & HP). Well, you would want War Caster in there if you were to maximise your efficiency but c'est la vie.

Unoriginal
2020-12-20, 05:59 AM
The best non-Tolkien contribution to what makes a dwarf a dwarf is GW's Book of Grudges. That concept is right on the nose and a wonderful addition to their lore.

D&D Dwarves are not Warhammer Dwarfs. D&D Dwarves don't have that whole Book of Grudges thing, and it's a good thing. Help keeping the two universes distinct.

There is more than enough people who think D&D orcs and goblins are green and related to each other like in Warhammer as things are already.

Mr Adventurer
2020-12-20, 06:24 AM
Hill Dwarf Guild Artisan Rune Knight (refluffed so runes are Dwarven, not Giant). Maximize Constitution.

Unoriginal
2020-12-20, 06:29 AM
Kinda funny no one, including me, mentioned Artificier yet.

Ir0ns0ul
2020-12-20, 08:29 AM
I love dwarves, my favorite race at all.

My last long characters were a classic Battlemaster Fighter embodying the grizzled and seasoned dwarven warrior and an Ancient Paladin refluffed to be more dwarfy.

However, I really love the appeal and the lore behind Mark of Warding Dwarves from Eberron. They make outstanding Abjurers.

Forge Cleric Hill Dwarf
Battlemaster Fighter Mountain Dwarf
Abjuration Wizard Mark of Warding Dwarf

Rule-Of-Three
2020-12-20, 10:52 AM
D&D Dwarves are not Warhammer Dwarfs. D&D Dwarves don't have that whole Book of Grudges thing, and it's a good thing. Help keeping the two universes distinct.

There is more than enough people who think D&D orcs and goblins are green and related to each other like in Warhammer as things are already.

I see it as a season to taste issue. The thing that makes the Cthulhu Mythos amazing was other contributors building on the original ideas. You can choose the ones you like.

Timothy Zahn nailed Grand Admiral Thrawn with the community so well, Lucas and Filoni made him a part of their canon. I think Star Wars was better for it (I don't for most of the EU stuff). I think a dwarven racial memory for slights is a great addition, and personally have seen it used well by my players as motivation for RP outside of getting richer and shiny magic things.

Others might feel the same, and that's fine in my eyes.

Spore
2020-12-20, 12:11 PM
Honestly, I personally felt always that dwarves should be rogues. Not thieves, rogues. No arcane tricksters, no shadowdancers or psychics. Why? Dwarves as forgemasters are misplaced really. As are them as warriors. That is Tolkien. Maybe bards.

According to High German poetry: Dwarves can make themselves invisible, have superhuman strength, are tricksters, lust after human women and live under mountains. Okay, maybe arcane tricksters, lore and valor bards.

Falconcry
2020-12-20, 12:12 PM
Not sure if this qualifies. My first level paladin mountain dwarf was nearly beheaded by his warlock girlfriend. She was speared through the heart as she swung the axe at him. Her blood, his blood and his beard were sucked into the axe causing him to become a hexblade. When the axe was stolen my dwarf spent 10 levels on a quest to get his beard back. Seems like dwarven motivation.

GiantOctopodes
2020-12-20, 12:20 PM
Ok, here it is:

Flint Fireforge
Hill Dwarf
Ranger 8 / Fighter 12
Lawful Good
Ability Score Order: Str, Con, Wis, Int, Dex, Cha
Speaks: Dwarvish, Common, Undercommon, Goblin, Draconic
Proficient With: Smith's Tools, Mason's Tools, Brewing Tools, Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor, Shields, Martial Weapons
Skills: History, Survival, Athletics, Investigation, Perception
Feats: Heavily Armored, Dungeon Delver, Keen Mind, Sentinel, Tough
Favored Enemies: Orcs, Goblins, Dragons
Favored Terrain: Mountain, Underdark
Fighting Styles: Defense, Protection
Ranger Subclass: Hunter (Horde Breaker, Steel Will)
Fighter Subclass: Battlemaster (Parry, Riposte, Pushing Attack, Disarming Attack, Trip Attack, Lunging Attack, Goading Attack)
Wields: Battlehammer, shield, plate armor, also has throwing axes, war pick

Flint Fireforge is a Hill Dwarf, who started off as a Miner and Smith, an Artisan in one of the prominent Guilds of his clan. He studied History early on, appreciating the rich traditions of the Dwarves as any good Dwarf does, and learned his craft. He became a Ranger and stalks the mountains and tunnels around Dwarven cities, protecting civilization due to his loyalty to the clan, as any good Dwarf does. He hates Goblins and Orcs, as any good Dwarf does, and eventually grew to hunt Dragons as well, both because they represent large threats near the mountains, and because they tend to have a ton of gold, and Flint is prone to a bit of avarice. Over time, he became a skilled warrior as well, and in due course learned the tradition of brewing, as is common among his people. Being a delver of the underground, he also learned undercommon, as well as the languages of his favored enemies. His keen mind ensures he is slow to forget wrongs against him, which he seeks to avenge due to his strong sense of justice. He can be stubborn, and slow to trust, which makes him perhaps not as charismatic as some, and certainly he is not as nimble as an elf, but he is bold and hardy, determined, loyal, and decisive. A valuable ally to have at your side, so long as you're not getting in a boat, which he hates, both due to his heavy armor being a detriment, and because it's a boat, and all good dwarves hate boats.

Ok! I think that's the Dwarfiest PHB only Dwarf you can get!

Gignere
2020-12-20, 12:22 PM
I would just go the Dwarven Defender and try to replicate that in 5e. Maybe Battlemaster, Forge Cleric multiclass, with HAM and shield master.

Warder
2020-12-20, 12:45 PM
According to High German poetry: Dwarves can make themselves invisible, have superhuman strength, are tricksters, lust after human women and live under mountains. Okay, maybe arcane tricksters, lore and valor bards.

Those are Duergar in D&D. Their name is even a variation on dwarf in germanic languages (Zwerg/Dwerg/Dvärg etc).

Unoriginal
2020-12-20, 02:20 PM
I see it as a season to taste issue. The thing that makes the Cthulhu Mythos amazing was other contributors building on the original ideas. You can choose the ones you like.

Timothy Zahn nailed Grand Admiral Thrawn with the community so well, Lucas and Filoni made him a part of their canon. I think Star Wars was better for it (I don't for most of the EU stuff). I think a dwarven racial memory for slights is a great addition, and personally have seen it used well by my players as motivation for RP outside of getting richer and shiny magic things.

Others might feel the same, and that's fine in my eyes.

There is a huge difference between adding elements to an existing setting, and writing a completely different setting and game. Warhammer is not D&D, D&D is not Warhammer, what are core concepts for the Warhammer Dwarfs are not part of the D&D Dwarves.

That is not to say Warhammer Dwarfs are bad. I even like them a lot, personally. They're just from a different branch.

As are them as warriors. That is Tolkien.

In Tolkien's works, the Dwarves were generally pretty terrible warriors. I don't think Tolkien wrote an armed conflict where the Dwarves on their own did better than a Pyrrhic victory, and in the Hobbit the Elves and Men note that the Dwarf army they're about to face has little combat experience outside of mine fights, which are a completely different business, and that the Dwarves must realize they're doomed.

Only exceptions to that in the works published during Tolkien's lifetime were young Thorin Oakenshield, Dain Ironfoot, and Gimli himself... who had no shame saying that the Men who fought in Saruman's army at Helm's Deep were too big for him.

Kane0
2020-12-20, 03:19 PM
Hmm, i’m thinking we need a Dwarf party lads

-Hill Dwarf Forge Cleric / Rune Knight
-Hill or Grey Dwarf Ranger / Rogue
-Mountain Dwarf Armorer or Artillerist / Abjurer
-The token nondwarf, a human bard to chronicle their work. They get the belt of dwarvenkind.

micahaphone
2020-12-20, 07:02 PM

-The token nondwarf, a human bard to chronicle their work. They get the belt of dwarvenkind.

I agree that a party is best. I will also say that while I totally understand having forge cleric, I also think order cleric fits dwarven traditionalism and communal ideals well. Double cleric party?

Rfkannen
2020-12-20, 11:36 PM
A Dwarf Monk of the Astral Self whose Astral Self is another Dwarf (but a giant one), with the feat Dwarven Fortitude (meaning you are the descendant of dwarven heroes, and an efficient feat on a Monk), would be the dwarfiest Dwarf possible in the 5e system.

While it may seems unorthodox, being an immune-to-poison, hard-to-charm bruiser who can punch people by the fact of being a Dwarf really hard, on a planar level, and who can heal themselves by actively being a Dwarf at the enemy's attacks is not to ignored. Hill Dwarves are known to be wise, too, so it's still fitting, and with the options from the Tasha's using a traditional Dwarf weapon won't hinder the Monk part.

oh man that sounds AWESOME! I normally picture dwarves wearing armor, but other than that it really fits the idea of a dwarf so well!! I really like it!!

arnin77
2020-12-21, 12:31 AM

I like this idea - mine would be similar:

Dwarf Party!
“You meet at a tavern.... the tavern quickly runs out of ale!”

Mountain Soldier-Battlemaster
Hill Acolyte-Forge Cleric
Mark of Warding Artisan-Battlesmith
Duergar Criminal-(Gloomstalker Melee Ranger?)

Klorox
2020-12-21, 08:20 AM

What parts of the dwarf class emulate the thief class?

I played some B/X (much more BECMI), and I'm just not recalling this aspect of the class.

Rfkannen
2020-12-21, 12:53 PM

I played some B/X (much more BECMI), and I'm just not recalling this aspect of the class.

Dwarves are like fighters, but better at detecting traps and listening at doors, which are both things that thieves specialize in.

stoutstien
2020-12-21, 12:57 PM

Looking at the entire history of dwarves in lore and myths they have as much in common with the sneak and guile as holy man with a sword.