PDA

View Full Version : Unsettling Words: college of eloquence

visitor
2020-12-19, 11:36 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed; I didn’t see it with a search.

Unsettling Words from Tasha’s says:

“The creature must subtract the number rolled from the next saving throw it makes before the start of your next turn”

So the only spell (from the bard) that can take advantage of this is a cantrip with speed of one action cast in the same turn as Unsettling Words.

The effect of UW ends at the [B]start[B] of the bards next turn, so he won’t have an opportunity to cast a regular leveled spell in time.

Correct? It’s like almost a purely support feature.

RogueJK
2020-12-19, 11:48 PM
So the only spell (from the bard) that can take advantage of this is a cantrip with speed of one action cast in the same turn as Unsettling Words.

Unsettling Words isn't a spell. It's a Bonus Action ability. So it doesn't have the Bonus Action Spell/Action Cantrip restriction.

You can cast any Action spell that same turn that you use BA Unsettling Words, not just a Cantrip.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-12-19, 11:53 PM
Well, Bard's are pretty squarely designed in the support category.

The mistake you seem to be making is for some reason you're applying the bonus action spellcasting limitations. This isn't a spell, there's no reason the Bard can't cast a spell of any level using their action.

EDIT: looks like I was a bit late, it's already been covered.

visitor
2020-12-19, 11:55 PM
Ah thanks!

Funny.. I had initially read that correctly and then somewhere along the line it had flipped in my head as a spell-like bonus action.

Thanks again!

Aett_Thorn
2020-12-20, 07:28 AM
In addition to what the others have said, there’s no reason why other team members couldn’t take advantage of this ability, too. Really need to Banish a foe? Use this and then have the Wizard or Cleric cast it.