PDA

View Full Version : Is the Flying Weapon Enhancement from OA any Good in Combat

Noxangelo
2020-12-20, 12:56 AM
Is flying from OA useful for combat, since it would be stuck with the stats for an animated object of its size.

I know things like sizing and GMW will help for a while, but what else can you do to keep a flying weapon relevant in combat at any level, preferably without a massive WBL investment.

and before anyone brings it up, i've already thought of the sizing riverine or hardened oerth-blooded, pure ore obdurium shield flying barrier.

Troacctid
2020-12-20, 01:06 AM
It depends on whether your DM lets you lug around a massive unusable oversized weapon in order to count it as a giant animated object. A colossal animated object is CR 10. Very beefy.

Noxangelo
2020-12-20, 01:27 AM
It depends on whether your DM lets you lug around a massive unusable oversized weapon in order to count it as a giant animated object. A colossal animated object is CR 10. Very beefy.

can't you use sizing on the weapon to make it change size, or did i miss read that?

Troacctid
2020-12-20, 01:28 AM
can't you use sizing on the weapon to make it change size, or did i miss read that?
I mean, is there a reason you would want to use magic to change the weapon's size instead of just buying a colossal weapon to begin with? Either it works or it doesn't, and if it works, you might as well save the money.

Noxangelo
2020-12-20, 01:42 AM
I mean, is there a reason you would want to use magic to change the weapon's size instead of just buying a colossal weapon to begin with? Either it works or it doesn't, and if it works, you might as well save the money.

because there are alot of places that a colossal fullblade doesn't fit.

and it doesn't have to change size, i'm just looking for ways to help a flying weapon contribute in combat at all levels.

unseenmage
2020-12-20, 03:52 PM
Making the Flying weapon an Intelligent Magic Item lets it activate its own superpowers. From there use the Combining Magic items rules to give it 1xday spells effectively making it a flying spellcaster and you're good.

It can be expensive but putting Figurine of Wondrous Power abilities in there too can give it more movement options/disguise options. Though it is likely that when it becomes an animal it also loses its item intellect in exchange for the animal mind as well so keep that it.. mind.

As a Construct a Flying Weapon can be targetted by the Greater Humanoid Essence spell turning it into a humanoid for the duration, which lets you target it with other spells like Mineralize Warrior or Necrotic Cyst. Theoretically this could even allow it to contract lycanthropy or vampirism, though keeping it in Humanoid form long enough for these to come to fruition can be problematic.

Gruftzwerg
2020-12-20, 05:37 PM
Flying weapons are only good for one purpose imho and that is flanking.
It has a poor BAB (at gargantuan it gets somewhat acceptable with +12) and thus will miss most of the time. But it can position itself in a way to give you flanking and that is the sole thing where it shines. Rogues and the like may find this useful to enable sneak attacks.

In any other situation the Dancing weapons are imho better since they use your BaB to attack. They need to stay in 5ft range and thus can't be used for flanking on the contrary.

Darrin
2020-12-21, 09:12 AM
I think you're referring to the Flying property in Magic of Faerun. The Flying property in OA doesn't allow the weapon to attack on it's own. In fact, you can't do anything with that weapon except hold it in your hand:

Flying: Up to three times a day, by holding the weapon aloft in one hand and speaking the command word, the wielder can fly for up to 50 minutes, almost as if using the fly spell. The weapon pulls the character through the air, so the character cannot use the arm holding the weapon while flying. The character need not hold the weapon in his primary hand, and can use his free hand to attack or perform other actions.

The OA Update in Dragon #318 changed the duration to 5 minutes and reduced the cost to +2,400 GP.

If you're using the MoF version and trying to attack with it, then you're using it wrong. Put it on a shield and ride it like a surfboard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10294124&postcount=5).

Ramza00
2020-12-21, 01:59 PM
The OA Update in Dragon #318 changed the duration to 5 minutes and reduced the cost to +2,400 GP.

Oh this is super cheap! It is cheaper than 7 scrolls of fly and you can use it 3 times a day. I am going to use this for an archer character even if it restricts what you can do with the weapon.

Edit: Sigh

Whoops! I wasn't reading carefully enough. Troacctid is correct. Price was unchanged.

Troacctid
2020-12-21, 03:30 PM
No, the Focus property right below it was changed to +2,400 gp. The Flying property's price was left unchanged at +16,200 gp.

Darrin
2020-12-21, 04:26 PM
No, the Focus property right below it was changed to +2,400 gp. The Flying property's price was left unchanged at +16,200 gp.

Whoops! I wasn't reading carefully enough. Troacctid is correct. Price was unchanged.

Gruftzwerg
2020-12-21, 04:38 PM
I think you're referring to the Flying property in Magic of Faerun. The Flying property in OA doesn't allow the weapon to attack on it's own. In fact, you can't do anything with that weapon except hold it in your hand:

If you're using the MoF version and trying to attack with it, then you're using it wrong. Put it on a shield and ride it like a surfboard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10294124&postcount=5).

Oh didn't notice that there are 2 different flying weapon enhancements out there..^^

edit:
this is a job for the most overpowered weapon: the shuriken (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=10419.0).
Buy single magical shurikens for 1/50th of the regular price. Buy a few to have enough daily charges since they are so cheap. And can be drawn as a free action since they count as ammunition. What else could you want?^^

Noxangelo
2020-12-23, 02:49 AM
What else could you want?^^

a DM who would let that fly. i know i wouldn't :P

Gruftzwerg
2020-12-23, 04:40 AM
a DM who would let that fly. i know i wouldn't :P

While it is legit to houserule it away, there are enough who claim(!) that they play RAW when you get what I mean^^

Shuriken are cheesy, but you know.. T1 casters are much more cheesier than that. And I always find it funny that people are always ready to jump on cheese for mundane characters while just accepting the cheese for T1 casters without any concerns. Really, is it so overpowered compared to the things full casters can pull off? IMHO not, so why houserule it away`? While I accept that some DM might houserule against it, I think it is a poor idea. If a DM has concerns about power gaming, that is its own debate and should be communicated with the players. For that you don't need to specifically houserule away all kinds of possible cheese.

Noxangelo
2020-12-23, 08:55 AM
While it is legit to houserule it away, there are enough who claim(!) that they play RAW when you get what I mean^^

Shuriken are cheesy, but you know.. T1 casters are much more cheesier than that. And I always find it funny that people are always ready to jump on cheese for mundane characters while just accepting the cheese for T1 casters without any concerns. Really, is it so overpowered compared to the things full casters can pull off? IMHO not, so why houserule it away`? While I accept that some DM might houserule against it, I think it is a poor idea. If a DM has concerns about power gaming, that is its own debate and should be communicated with the players. For that you don't need to specifically houserule away all kinds of possible cheese.

i have no issues with cheese as long as it is done in good faith and everyone at the table is having fun.

the shuriken trick, i feel, is just bad faith.