PDA

View Full Version : Berserker 3 for Post Tasha’s STRangers?

Meichrob7
2020-12-20, 03:59 AM
The deft explorer optional class feature replaces the default explorer feature and offers a few benefits initially and more at later levels.

At level 10 the ability you get is tireless, which among other things lets you reduce your exhaustion by 1 every short rest.

Does this make Berserker Barbarian’s Frenzied rage actually usable? On the one hand it’s still 1x per Short/Long rest at best, and you can’t cast spells while in rage, but on the other hand rangers didn’t always cast spells in combat anyways and can often have riders on their attacks which makes them benefit from having more.

If this is a usable combo what ranger subclass would appreciate this best?

Also would there be any reason to go beyond barbarian 3 or 4? You’re already locked into going to at least ranger 10 for this to work so at absolute best the barbarian could take 10 levels and make it an even split.

Kane0
2020-12-20, 04:39 AM
Yeah it works, but at level 13 wouldnt you rather just get the restorations instead? And even then, there are plenty of others ways just to get a bonus action attack

Sorinth
2020-12-20, 04:54 AM
I presume the main focus would be on using Reckless Attack alongside GWM to maximize damage per hit. So I'd go with either Gloomstalker or Horizon Walker.

Gloomstalker gives you an extra attack to start combat at 3rd and an 11th level ability to help counteract the -5 to hit. Horizon Walker gets you something to do with your BA when not in a Frenzied Rage at 3rd and a fairly reliable extra attack throughout combat at 11th.

I'd probably go with HW cause I prefer the imagery of it but I suspect Gloomstalker is probably a bit better overall unless you are starting at a high level.

Draz74
2020-12-22, 07:36 AM
I've thought of this, but the real problem is that high-level Rangers generally have plenty of other options for dealing damage with their Bonus Actions, so they don't need Frenzied Rage.