PDA

View Full Version : Dragonlance suit dismissed

EggKookoo
2020-12-20, 08:23 AM
Relevant Sage Advice (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2020/12/19/dragonlance-the-lawsuit-against-wotc-was-dismissed/)

Weis seems happy about this, which isn't what I would have expected. Does anyone have a sense of what this would mean for a 5e DL setting?

Millstone85
2020-12-20, 09:00 AM
She also speaks of an upcoming announcement.

Some sort of reconciliation then? A new DL project with WotC?

As much as I would like to see WotC punished for their dishonesty, this is better.

RogueJK
2020-12-20, 09:17 AM
There's almost certainly a 5E Dragonlance in the works, considering the announcement months ago that 3 classic settings were coming to 5E, the recent dragon-themed UA playtest material, and Joe Manganiello mentioning in a recent video that he had been given access to an early version of the Draconians.

Keltest
2020-12-20, 09:25 AM
A reconciliation and/or new deal seems likely then. I kind of struggle to see them calling it exciting news if they werent involved in some way.

Arcturus
2020-12-20, 10:33 AM
The suit was dismissed without prejudice, meaning that they could refile it if they wanted to. Most likely means that it was voluntarily withdrawn. Hopefully due to a settlement/reconciliation.

Unoriginal
2020-12-20, 10:43 AM
The documents for the lawsuits were stolen by a Kender.

Segev
2020-12-20, 12:09 PM

For a curious and fearless group of people, the things they read on Kendel baffle me. I hear it's run by their equivalent of amazons, though.

HolyDraconus
2020-12-20, 12:09 PM

Not all kender are kleptomaniacs. The fight with Chaos made sure of that nonsense.

CMCC
2020-12-20, 12:17 PM
There's almost certainly a 5E Dragonlance in the works, considering the announcement months ago that 3 classic settings were coming to 5E, the recent dragon-themed UA playtest material, and Joe Manganiello mentioning in a recent video that he had been given access to an early version of the Draconians.

I didn’t even make the UA connection. Nice pull.

Cikomyr2
2020-12-20, 01:03 PM
Wizards may have been trying to back out of promised spotlight in 5e for Dragonlance, and this drama helped them reverse that decision in part.

I guess ultimately, capitalism will win. If there's good business to be made out of Dragonlance material.

MaxWilson
2020-12-20, 01:24 PM
Relevant Sage Advice (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2020/12/19/dragonlance-the-lawsuit-against-wotc-was-dismissed/)

Weis seems happy about this, which isn't what I would have expected. Does anyone have a sense of what this would mean for a 5e DL setting?

Dismissed without prejudice, so they could refile if they had a reason to. Apparently she's happy not to have a reason any more.

Klorox
2020-12-20, 02:32 PM

::Ahem::

borrowed

Unoriginal
2020-12-20, 02:35 PM

Wonder if it means we're going to see Arkhan the Cruel doing Tiamat shenanigans in this setting.

MaxWilson
2020-12-20, 02:38 PM

Who was then immediately murdered by irate party members, not for the lawsuit but for other valued party possessions they were "holding for you."

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-21, 09:50 AM
I guess ultimately, capitalism will win. If there's good business to be made out of Dragonlance material. That's the way I'll bet this one in Vegas, if there's a line open.

::Ahem:: borrowed Just like the Pink Panther got borrowed in that movie, right? :smalltongue:

Who was then immediately murdered by irate party members, not for the lawsuit but for other valued party possessions they were "holding for you." *This DM nods with approval*

To kender player:

Roll up another character... and this time, unlike the other three times, all three of them now dead at the hands of irate party members, don't try to roll up a kender. Your kender priveleges have been revoked.

MaxWilson
2020-12-21, 09:53 AM
To kender player:

Roll up another character... and this time, unlike the other three times, all three of them now dead at the hands of irate party members, don't try to roll up a kender. Your kender priveleges have been revoked.

Nice edit. :)

Millstone85
2020-12-21, 09:55 AM
Roll up another character... and this time, unlike the other three times, all three of them now dead at the hands of irate party members, don't try to roll up a kender. Your kender priveleges have been revoked. This time, it is an aarakocra.

MaxWilson
2020-12-21, 09:56 AM
This time, it is an aarakocra.

Named Jeremy? Who likes shinies?

RedMage125
2020-12-21, 11:22 PM
Not all kender are kleptomaniacs. The fight with Chaos made sure of that nonsense.

I mean, in a way, no kender is a kleptomaniac. They never "steal" because they have no real concept of "property ownership". I mean, it's absolutely word semantics, because everyone else in the world calls it theft, but...

Keltest
2020-12-21, 11:35 PM
I mean, in a way, no kender is a kleptomaniac. They never "steal" because they have no real concept of "property ownership". I mean, it's absolutely word semantics, because everyone else in the world calls it theft, but...

Its not even that they dont understand ownership. They do, absolutely, because theyll happily return anything theyve taken if the owner tracks them down and asks for it. They just have severe ADHD and like to hold things they find interesting, so they get distracted by a bunch of interesting things and just dont pay attention to what they did with the last thing they were interested in.

PattThe
2020-12-21, 11:39 PM

I snuck in a kender in my Forgotten Realms campaign. The party found a Quasit who has grown in power. They're going to become a Scurchur (sp) and be an agent of Fraz Urblu'u in the story. They've swollen in size to a Small creature and now walk around under a Glamour of a Kender, often teasing the party's Halfling follower NPC.

HolyDraconus
2020-12-22, 10:54 AM
Forget it. Diseased then.

MaxWilson
2020-12-22, 12:42 PM

No matter what you call kendermania, the blithe unapologetic appropriation of other people's stuff is rage-inducing.