PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of Fanaticism (PEACH)

PhoenixPhyre
2020-12-20, 06:02 PM
This is partially for a player in my current game, but also something I want to add to my setting more generally. It's sort of a paladin-side riff on the Path of the Zealot barbarian subclass. Focused on ignoring restraints and punishing the unrighteous.

This is version 0.1-alpha, so it needs significant polish. I especially need good ideas for the oath spells.

---------------
Oath of Fanaticism
Those who swear the Oath of Fanaticism go well beyond normal devotion to a religion or secular cause. They swear and pledge their lives to uphold, defend, and spread their organization’s influence throughout the world. When you choose this Oath, work with your DM to choose a faction present in your game world. From that faction, choose three points of doctrine or dogma that you are particularly attached to. These are your Core Doctrines.

Tenets
The Path of the Righteous is Straight. I must hold to the Core Doctrines and not step outside their bounds. Strict adherence in all things gives me the strength to push on the Great Work.

My All for the Cause. No sacrifice is too great for the Great Work of my chosen faction. I will stand in support of this Great Work with everything I have. Nothing will stop me from pushing it forward, not even death.

Stand against Unrighteousness with Fire and Sword. My chosen Core Doctrines are the keys to all that is good. Those that oppose those Doctrines must be brought to accept them or be destroyed by force.

Paladin Level
Feature

Oath Spells, Channel Divinity

Implacable Advance

Faith Stronger than Death

Exemplar of the Faith

Oath Spells

Paladin Level
Spells

Heroism, Protection from Evil and Good

Detect Thoughts, Silence(?)

Crusader’s Mantle, Dispel Magic

Banishment, Death Ward

Commune, Dispel Evil and Good

Channel Divinity
When you take this Oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options:
Fanatical Fervor: You can use your Channel Divinity to bolster the devotion of you or one of your allies you can see within 30 feet, endowing the target with unstoppable devotion. As an action you present your holy symbol and bless the target. The target creature cannot be charmed, frightened, or restrained for one minute. Until this effect ends, the target deals additional radiant damage equal to 2 + one third of your proficiency bonus, rounded down, whenever it hits with a weapon attack.

Forsake the Heresy: As an action you present your holy symbol and use your Channel Divinity to force enemies of the faith to repent of their sins against your Core Doctrines. Choose a number of creatures equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) that you can see and that can hear you. Each target must make a Wisdom saving throw against your Spellcasting DC. Targets that fail their saving throw immediately use their reaction to go prone and drop whatever they are holding. They remain prone and are incapacitated for one minute, but can reattempt the saving throw at the end of each of their turn or when they take damage, ending the effect on a success. Targets that fail their saving throw by more than 5 are instead charmed for one minute. Charmed creatures cannot be commanded, but will fight those that are hostile to you without concern for their own lives by throwing themselves at the foe.

Implacable Advance
Starting at 7th level, you and all creatures within your Aura of Protection ignore difficult terrain and gain a bonus equal to your Charisma modifier on checks to avoid being grappled or restrained or to escape from being grappled or restrained.

Faith Stronger than Death
Starting at 15th level, your fanaticism is so great that you can continue fighting even when you should be incapacitated from damage. While you are at 0 hit points you can choose to not become incapacitated or unconscious. You must roll death saving throws as normal, but you do not suffer additional failures from taking damage. Instead, you gain one level of exhaustion at the beginning of each of your turns if you took damage equaling more than one quarter of your maximum hit points since the beginning of your previous turns. Once you choose to ignore the effects of unconsciousness this way, you cannot do so again until after you finish a long rest.

Exemplar of the Faith
Starting at 20th level, you can use your action to transform into a lesser avatar of your chosen deity for one minute. While transformed, you and a number of creatures of your choice equal to your Charisma modifier within 30 feet of you have resistance to all damage and are immune to conditions not caused by being at 0 hit points. In addition, you ignore the effects of exhaustion while in this form and make saving throws at advantage. Once you use this feature you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.