PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Rock Gnome Revision

Grognerd
2020-12-20, 06:09 PM
Hello folks!

Just a warning, but this is essentially one part rant and one part general idea that hasn't been fully "field tested".

So here's the thing... I really don't like how 5e completely shafts the Rock Gnome. Now, some people will be ok with that simply because they hate gnomes, but I can't get behind that. Here's my issue: the Tinker feature is absolutely useless. It's barely even "ribbon" status. Basically, you can use an item (so equipment is required) that you build (so money is required), to emulate one aspect of the Prestidigitation (so it is essentially a 1/2 power [or less] cantrip).

Now compare that to the other races and sub-races, where they actually gain - at no cost in money or equipment - a full cantrip that they can use at will. Doesn't jive with me. So I came up with a replacement for Tinker.

Before I describe the replacement idea, let's look at the color and the good parts of the current set-up. Regarding the color: rock gnomes are in many ways a hybrid between high elves and dwarves. They are intelligent builders with a touch of the arcane to them. Let's keep this.
Regarding the good: I actually do like the fact that the Rock Gnome ability is tied to having equipment and dependent on crafting it. So we will keep the tinkered devices and the costs involved in using them. We'll also keep the device operational for 24 hours before needing to be recrafted or recharged. Since I don't necessarily want to go full steampunk with gnomish invention, let's make them both items of craft and items of magic (hence explaining why only gnomes can create these devices).

So what really needs to change is the effect of the device. My thought is that the device can emulate a wizard cantrip. The "full" cantrip. But it shouldn't be fully available, especially since the Gnome can potentially utilize a variety of cantrips. We need to limit this. First we'll use a limit based on color, and say the device cannot emulate direct damage cantrips (acid splash, chill touch, et al.). Next let's limit mechanically: the device only works for 24 hours, because after that the magic diminishes. Further, the device can only be used once before needing to be recharged for an hour (essentially it can only be used once before needing a Short Rest).

So we'll replace the Tinker feature with the following:

Tinkercharm: You have proficiency with artisan’s tools (tinker’s tools). Using those tools, you can spend 1 hour and 10 gp worth of materials to Construct a Tiny magic and clockwork device (AC 5, 1 hp). The device ceases to function after 24 hours (unless you spend 1 hour repairing it to keep the device functioning), or when you use your action to dismantle it; at that time, you can reclaim the materials used to create it.
Your device can mimic any non-damaging wizard cantrip. The device can only be used once before it needs to be recharged over a Short Rest period, after which it can be used again. Since the device is powered by your own inner magic, you can only create one Tinkercharm at a time, though you can use your tinker's tools for mundane purposes as normal.