PDA

View Full Version : Phantom or Scout

zinycor
2020-12-20, 06:57 PM
So, my rogue character will hit level 3 and am not sure if I should go with phantom or scout... both are pretty cool and seem to fit pretty well, so I need some advice.

For context my character is tabaxi who wields guns.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/781430601949118524/788509350208995348/med_1420903389_00001.jpg

iTreeby
2020-12-20, 07:02 PM
Phantom is really only good at higher levels. I'd go with Scott or Thief (fast hands).

Darthnazrael
2020-12-20, 08:10 PM
Personally, I'll suggest Phantom, simply because Scout is not very strong until later, and when that time comes, your particular build is not well-positioned to make use of those long-awaited strengths. The only caveat being if you expect your campaign to heavily feature necrotic-resistant/immune enemies, as Phantom is all about that damage type.

Scout doesn't really get any very beneficial abilities until level 13. Your Skirmisher at 3 only happens at the end of your opponent's turn, meaning they've already gotten a full turn of attacks against you. Superior Mobility at level 9 gives you extra speed you probably didn't need, already being a tabaxi, at range, and having access to bonus action dash. But your level 13 and 17 features are really strong. Ambush Master does benefit a rogue with multiple attacks more than it does a Gunner, but it's still a huge boon to your party every combat. Unfortunately, Sudden Strike at level 17 doesn't fix this issue, because it specifically forces you to attack anyone but the creature that Ambush Master just gave you advantage against.

The Phantom, however, is great early and late. It's definitely a subclass about spreading the damage around, but most combats will have at least two targets, and those with only one often aren't as challenging as they mean to be, because of action economy. Also, Wails of the Grave is neat in that the damage is unconditional, no save or attack roll, so you can focus your attack sneak attack on the low-AC mage, and still splash some damage onto their high-AC bodyguard. Specific to your build, Wails of the Grave just needs the secondary target to be within 30 ft of the initial target, not of yourself, so it works well with you attacking from range. However, you only collect Soul Trinkets from targets within 30 ft of you, so at level 9 you'll want to start playing more of a midrange game to collect those valuable trinkets. The cap on the number of Trinkets you can hold is superficial, as you'll likely want to burn through all but one pretty frequently. Your mobility feature is at 13 instead of 9, but instead of adding onto what you already have, it gives you a 10-minute (!!!) slow hovering flight speed, that also gives opponents disadvantage on attacks against you for the duration. That's an awesome, long-running, concentration-free buff, and you can re-up it with Soul Trinkets. At level 17, though, you finally become a true single-target powerhouse (beyond what every other Rogue already is), by making your Wails Attacks deal ≥1.5x Sneak Attack damage to the primary target, in addition to the normal off-target damage.

Mr Adventurer
2020-12-21, 03:40 AM
Scout lets you constantly dodge away from enemies while blasting them with your guns, so I vote for that. I don't really understand how Phantom is any good.

bendking
2020-12-21, 04:12 AM
Honestly, neither, but if I had to choose I'd pick Phantom.

Jerrykhor
2020-12-21, 04:41 AM
Personally, i don't like either, but Scout is pretty lousy until level 13. Their features are kinda uninspired, most of them being speed boosts and extra expertise, things that most Rogues aren't hard up for more of. I don't think their mechanics match their fluff either - their mechanics help them better at running away, but not scouting.

Since you are a Tabaxi you should have plenty of speed already, maybe go for Phantom.

Nidgit
2020-12-21, 04:48 AM
Phantom, for the simple reason that you can flavor Wails of the Grave as piercing/ricochet trick shots.

Also, picking up the Gunner feat ignores disadvantage at close range, negating much of the point of Scout's disengage-style reaction.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-21, 06:07 AM
Phantom, for the simple reason that you can flavor Wails of the Grave as piercing/ricochet trick shots.

Also, picking up the Gunner feat ignores disadvantage at close range, negating much of the point of Scout's disengage-style reaction.

Just because you don't have disadvantage in melee doesn't mean you'll want to stay in melee, where things can hit you back.