PDA

View Full Version : Low CR Abyssal Creatures: Help

blackjack50
2020-12-21, 10:27 AM
I am planning out a one shot. I’m looking for some abyssal creatures to use as part of the game. Players will be level 3-5 (still deciding). Basically the story line is that the players volunteered to go into this massive labyrinth of mountain caves and valleys to find out why these swarms of enemies keep coming out to attack their settlements (and now a gate loaded with soldiers defending the pass). They are going to find out there is a portal with these demons coming out from abyss. So I’d like to have some lower CR abyssal creatures to intermix with my orcs and gnolls and other chaotic evils. I have some plans on Minotaur and other things as well. I just need some assistance with these low CR enemies that make good swarming bad guys

Unoriginal
2020-12-21, 10:41 AM
I am planning out a one shot. I’m looking for some abyssal creatures to use as part of the game. Players will be level 3-5 (still deciding). Basically the story line is that the players volunteered to go into this massive labyrinth of mountain caves and valleys to find out why these swarms of enemies keep coming out to attack their settlements (and now a gate loaded with soldiers defending the pass). They are going to find out there is a portal with these demons coming out from abyss. So I’d like to have some lower CR abyssal creatures to intermix with my orcs and gnolls and other chaotic evils. I have some plans on Minotaur and other things as well. I just need some assistance with these low CR enemies that make good swarming bad guys

Abyssal Chickens are pretty great for that. So are the Abyssal Wretches, and Manes.

Aside from those, Quasits, Maw Demons, Cacklers and Dretches can fit too.

Vargouilles aren't actual demons, but they are still chaotic evil fiends, and they're weird enough they can be very memorable.

Bulezaus are CR 3, and can spice up a chaotic evil horde easily.

Not sure if CR 5 is too high for your purposes, but the Tanarukks are a pretty great addition to any demonic group that includes orcs.

blackjack50
2020-12-21, 11:05 AM
Abyssal Chickens are pretty great for that. So are the Abyssal Wretches, and Manes.

Aside from those, Quasits, Maw Demons, Cacklers and Dretches can fit too.

Vargouilles aren't actual demons, but they are still chaotic evil fiends, and they're weird enough they can be very memorable.

Bulezaus are CR 3, and can spice up a chaotic evil horde easily.

Not sure if CR 5 is too high for your purposes, but the Tanarukks are a pretty great addition to any demonic group that includes orcs.

I love those ideas. Some of those I’ve seen already and will be great to harry the PCs. Right now I’m giving a look at the Minotaur as well.

MaxWilson
2020-12-21, 07:49 PM

For flavor reasons, I'm going to suggest Maw Demons, Vargouilles, Rutterkins, Shadow Demons, and plenty of Dretches, plus the occasional Babau, Tanarukk, or Dybbuk. Some of these will be quite a handful for a level 3-5 party, and some of that is deliberate (I'd want them properly terrified of the consequences of a full-on invasion), but I'd offset that by letting them "get lucky" with opportunities to e.g. kill a Tanarukk by teaming up with a T-Rex against it, or shove it off a cliff into the embrace of a Black Pudding, or lead it into an Indiana Jones-deadly booby trap. I wouldn't necessarily assume that they'll take every opportunity I give them (they never do) but if I give them one or two afforandances per tough fight then maybe they'll find one or make their own, and at least then I'd feel less bad about giving them a tall mountain to climb. :-) And since the goal is to get them thinking that demons are a tall mountain to climb, even for them much less for peasants, I think it's okay even if sometimes they do have a brutal fight at level 3, and then at level 5 they'll feel how much they've progressed now that they're able to take on a Tanarukk or Dybbuk without much issue, although hopefully they'll still be looking for clever little tactical opportunities.

PattThe
2020-12-21, 09:56 PM
Various D&D magazines have all sorts of small minion creatures that are highly unique. The one article on Fraz'Urbluu has these Skurchurs (sp) that are small size category shapeshifting fiendish emu bastards with a 10 ft reach tail. They could be updated from 3rd edition to a CR 2 or 4 easily.

blackjack50
2020-12-22, 08:33 AM
For flavor reasons, I'm going to suggest Maw Demons, Vargouilles, Rutterkins, Shadow Demons, and plenty of Dretches, plus the occasional Babau, Tanarukk, or Dybbuk. Some of these will be quite a handful for a level 3-5 party, and some of that is deliberate (I'd want them properly terrified of the consequences of a full-on invasion), but I'd offset that by letting them "get lucky" with opportunities to e.g. kill a Tanarukk by teaming up with a T-Rex against it, or shove it off a cliff into the embrace of a Black Pudding, or lead it into an Indiana Jones-deadly booby trap. I wouldn't necessarily assume that they'll take every opportunity I give them (they never do) but if I give them one or two afforandances per tough fight then maybe they'll find one or make their own, and at least then I'd feel less bad about giving them a tall mountain to climb. :-) And since the goal is to get them thinking that demons are a tall mountain to climb, even for them much less for peasants, I think it's okay even if sometimes they do have a brutal fight at level 3, and then at level 5 they'll feel how much they've progressed now that they're able to take on a Tanarukk or Dybbuk without much issue, although hopefully they'll still be looking for clever little tactical opportunities.

I actually have a built in way to help them to help them. But I will make sure to throw in the bonus bumps.