PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Tempest Cleric 10/Storm Sorcerer 1 and Tasha's Metamagic Adept

dmartin3d
2020-12-21, 11:14 AM
I'm running a Tempest Cleric 10/Storm Sorcerer 1

I'm trying to figure out what metamagics to take when I reach my 12th level ASI and add on the Metamagic Adept.

My stats are: St 16 Dex 13 Con 16 (w/res con feat) Int 8 Wis 18 Ch 14
AC: 22 (+1 shield and +1 mithral plate)
Storm Sorcerer spells: Absorb Elements and Shield

Party composition:
Whispers Bard 6/Pact of the Blade 5, Wizard Necromancy 11, Champion Fighter 11, Open Hand Monk 8/Life Cleric 3 and Battlemaster 6/Swashbuckler 5.

We often have between 2-6 combats per day, so it's difficult to gauge when I should be expending Nova resources unless we know we're reaching the end of a story arc. So far, I have found myself using cantrips and melee weapons only a handful of times so I feel like my resource management has been pretty good considering the variability in how many combats we have before a long rest. The new Tasha's Harness Divine Power is a very nice addition for those days where I didn't manage my resources all that well.

But the main reason for this build is to take advantage of the Quicken metamagic, specifically Call Lightning, whereby using Quicken you can bonus action cast CL and then with your action, on the same turn, call down another lightning bolt, maximizing both. Nice nova round but only doable once per day making the feat quite expensive for a niche build. So the theory is to take a 2nd level in Sorcerer and gain Font of Magic to have a total of 4 sorcery points, two of which can be refreshed with spell slots, making the double tap available more than once per day and adding in some other options with another metamagic. The Quicken metamagic also gives me additional options when SG is up and I need to cast a spell and still maintain my defenses. So that I can still cast a leveled spell and dodge or just layer on more pain for a round or two.

So quicken is a given with this build but I'm not sure about the other metamagics and that's where I'm stuck.

I like the Transmuted spell metamagic but it's quite limited since the Cleric class gets so few elemental spells but changing Thunderwave, Shatter, CL, Spirit Shroud, Flame Strike and Fire Storm does sound enticing. Twinned is also nice but can get expensive for anything other than cantrips and 1st or 2nd level spells but there are lots of spell options that seem to work really well with a cleric. Extended is also a great exploit but only for things like Aid, Death Ward, and Aura of Vitality, which are very powerful but again limited to only a few spells worth considering.

But there are other metamagics and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions as to what other metamagic I should be considering.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions to better build this beast. Thanks!

RogueJK
2020-12-21, 12:13 PM
Definitely Twinned, for a Cleric.

Twinning low level spells is still handy at higher levels, especially in a party like yours with multiple martial characters. For example, Protection from Evil on two frontliners is a huge boon when fighting certain types of enemies. Twinned Healing Word can pick up two downed characters with just a 1st level slot and a Bonus Action. Twinned Revivify brings back two dead party members with one slot and one material component.

If you're willing to spend all 4 of your points at once, twinning higher level buffs like Death Ward or Freedom of Movement is also great.

Fryy
2020-12-21, 06:40 PM
Twinned Death Ward (as mentioned above) is great... but uses up your Sorcerer points and so is better on a Divine Soul Sorcerer.

Twinned Guiding Bolt can be effective in some cases.

Do you have a free hand or Warcaster to cast Shield and Absorb Elements? If your hands are full with a shield and weapon/staff... then you could Subtle cast them... 1 Sorc pt each time.

Gignere
2020-12-21, 06:47 PM
Extend can be awesome with Aid and Death Ward you can get essentially a free buff if you go to long rest with slots and spell points left over.

PattThe
2020-12-21, 09:55 PM
What's the best 1st level sorceror spell to upclass here?

Also, obligatory mention of the nuclear tempest cleric threads. Metamagic to change type of damage to thunder or lightning, channel divinity, high level spell slots...z

Dear GOD imagine Earthquake with that.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-22, 07:06 AM
What's the best 1st level sorceror spell to upclass here?

Also, obligatory mention of the nuclear tempest cleric threads. Metamagic to change type of damage to thunder or lightning, channel divinity, high level spell slots...z

Dear GOD imagine Earthquake with that.

Imagining that is all you can do, because Earthquake doesn't work with Transmuted Spell. The spell must do acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison or thunder damage, and the damage from Earthquake is bludgeoning.

On a tempest cleric, that means Thunderwave, Shatter, Call Lightning, Glyph of Warding, Ice Storm, Destructive Wave, Flame Strike and Fire Storm. 1 level of sorcerer adds some more options, but those rely on Cha instead of Wis, so BB is the best (and propably only real) option.