PDA

View Full Version : Fallout - Vault 147 - Florida

CNFish
2020-12-21, 03:44 PM
Vault 147 was the coded name for the vault of the PC inhabitants, set somewhere on the Naval airbase of the Boca Chica islands, FL. The Vault itself was designed to constantly test the strengths and weaknesses of its inhabitants with various puzzles, simulations, and actual encounters with monsters from the wasteland. the Vault is overseen by a an AI known as IT (inhabitant tester). which would regularly send out small groups of Robots to capture creatures lurking in the waste, the largest however that it ever brought in was a Yao-Gaui. these various tests and encounters would continue until the day the AI received an "All-Clear" signal from vault-tech. however after decades of monotony and the degradation of the machine hardware, the AI has seemingly been up-ping its game creating harder and harsher tests, some of which were so strong that it began killing off inhabitants with said tests. in the year 2224 a total of 147 ironic years later. one group of inhabitants were able to withstand a particular excruciating punishment of the AI, the Door to the vault opened. and the AI went offline. sealing the vault behind them and any remaining survivors.

year 2224. just outside the HFcV 147 (Habitat of the future containment Vault). the Air has a distinct musty smell that is unusual to the dwellers being that they were used to the vaults state of the art life support system which kept fresh air circulating the vents of the vault for nearly a century and a half. The door has just shut itself behind the dwellers. where Vacuum tubes would normally light up the outside of the entrance, is now nothing but total darkness. indicating that the vault itself is now inaccessible to the dwellers, everyone they knew, family, friends colleagues are now seemingly trapped behind the steel doors of vault 147.

as you look around you notice your surrounding is the interior of an old bunker. you notice insignia all around you, some flags, patches the like. and your not unfamiliar with them, it is the patches of a country lost to time. The United States. as you peer around the equipment looks akin to some of the older equipment in the vault used by security. HAM radios, maps, trunks litter the area in sort of a haphazard fashion. All the dwellers knew that their home was that of an old military installation. This only serves to confirm that. being some of the first beings (non-robots) to step forward into the waste since the vault shut over a century ago. A ramp on the far side of the bunker looks as though it leads upwards and out. and a bright lite, which is the only lighting available in the surrounding shines in to illuminate the bunker.

You hear the sound of water. lots of water coming from a ramp on the far side of the bunker. its muffled but it is noticeable if your listening for it.

Players
Character
Race
Class

CNFish
GM
N/A
N/A

Ramsus
Olivia Cooke (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2363010)
Vault Dweller
Scientist (Chem Cook)

Mark Elderfire
Leonardo Cosstain (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2363203)
Vault Dweller
Barbarian (totem warrior)

xanxosttheslaad
Frōdrick Alban (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2364720)
Human (Slag)
Scout

Here is an IC Link to the OOC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?624332-Fallout-Vault-147-Florida-OOC&p=24855180#post24855180) if needed.

xanxosttheslaad
2020-12-26, 05:42 PM
Frōdrick, caught off guard by the sudden closing of the vault door, takes a step back. He looks toward the now open door on the other side, with the faint light coming from behind it. His brow furrows as he attempts to discern the situation. The lights are off, indicating that the door to the Vault can't be opened. His life, as he knew it, was over. No more hiding, no more Trials, no more Vault. A grin spread across his face, underneath the welding helmet.
No more Family. The grin faded. Without them, everything is going to be very different, very difficult, but Frōdrick is up to the challenge. After all, this is everything he'd been working for with the Mining Faction: to finally be free from IT. Certainly, though, there will be other dangers in this new world. He will need to build a new Family; the people he'd fought with seem likely, if not the only, candidates.
Stepping cautiously toward the open doorway, Frōdrick takes a look into the unfamiliar room.

[roll0]

Ramsus
2020-12-26, 07:53 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/b4/19/f3/b419f36c58c4910f91f9cbbf62922992.jpg
Human Scientist
AC: 16 HP: 35/35
PP: 12 PIv: 17 PIs: 12
Conditions: --

As the vault door closes behind them, Olivia realizes they're not going to (easily) be able to re-open it and lets out a soft swear in spanish. Given they're in total darkness, she switches on the headlamp on her self-made helmet and looks around the space and at the other people there. She didn't recognize any of them. "Hello." she greets. "I'm Olivia Cooke. Given it's just us out here and none of us could possibly know what to expect, I suggest we stick together." It's not exactly the most warm introduction, but she hadn't been around people all that much for a long while now.

Perception: [roll0]

xanxosttheslaad
2020-12-28, 11:43 AM
After recoiling slightly as Olivia turns on her headlamp, Frōdrick adjusts the settings on his welding helmet and offers a reciprocal greeting, attempting to sound warm and friendly, "Frōdrick Alban; it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He then begins looking around the bunker, keeping an eye out for maps of the location (to aid in locating useful things in the facility), as well as any other useful equipment (ammunition, weapons, tools, food, water, clothes, etc.). "I hear running water out that way. Maybe there's some plumbing out here that still works?" (He assumes the water is connected to an appliance, since that's the only source of moving water he's ever seen, and members of the Mining Faction didn't get the same education on the outside world as other Vault Dwellers). "Doesn't look like anyone's been in this room for quite a while though, so there's no immediate danger." He then takes out his switchblade and goes to cut down the least faded flag from where it hangs.

Mark_Elderfire
2020-12-30, 03:45 PM
Leon being the big and sometimes thoughtful man that he was had grabbed as much gear as he could. Thank goodness too as the vault door had sealed itself shut behind them. But what about the others? They were sealed off just as much as he was. They would have to take care of themselves now. Hopefully his kindness (and sterness) had rubbed off on them and would help them inside. But as a bright headlamp illuminated the area, he saw the others that were out here with him. His duty to protect the vault dwellers was far from done it would seem.

He looks to Olivia first, "I completely agree that we should stick together. It would make my job that much easier as I still am under oath to protect you all. Officer Leon Cosstain, at your service." He offers his large meaty hand to shake. Frodrick's mention of water surprises him though, he hears nothing of the sort so Leon offers his hand to him as well. "Pleasure to meet you as well, sir. I do not hear it but water can only mean good things yes? Please, show the way and I will cover your six."

Missed the DC by 1 lol (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24865711&postcount=4)

CNFish
2020-12-31, 03:42 PM
After recoiling slightly as Olivia turns on her headlamp, Frōdrick adjusts the settings on his welding helmet and offers a reciprocal greeting, attempting to sound warm and friendly, "Frōdrick Alban; it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He then begins looking around the bunker, keeping an eye out for maps of the location (to aid in locating useful things in the facility), as well as any other useful equipment (ammunition, weapons, tools, food, water, clothes, etc.). "I hear running water out that way. Maybe there's some plumbing out here that still works?" (He assumes the water is connected to an appliance, since that's the only source of moving water he's ever seen, and members of the Mining Faction didn't get the same education on the outside world as other Vault Dwellers). "Doesn't look like anyone's been in this room for quite a while though, so there's no immediate danger." He then takes out his switchblade and goes to cut down the least faded flag from where it hangs.

The place has beeen picked clean of any useful equipment, you find the occasional piece of decent looking scrap lying around but everything else is pretty much useless.. you also notice near a table that looked like it used to hold several pieces of equipment a map above it, its faded and old but it is indeed a map, a map of florida itself pre-war. (condition - ok/readable)

you do notice a flag in the corner, it is ripped up and in pretty bad shape overall for a flag of its age, but regardless its a treasure of the past you intend to keep, (US pre-great war flag, condition - Bad.)

xanxosttheslaad
2020-12-31, 05:51 PM
Frōdrick shakes Leon's hand, then puts a few pieces of non-useless-looking scrap in his backpack. With switchblade in hand he gestures toward the ramp leading up into the light, "The water sound's coming from that direction. Probably best to get our bearings in here first, though, before going out into unfamiliar territory. He then cuts down the tattered cloth of the US flag and puts it in his bag to later patch onto his suit. Now looking at the map, he says, "Anyone know what this thing means?"

CNFish
2020-12-31, 08:14 PM
For anyone who looks at the map, you notice a marking over an area in the south, that you'll know as making your current location, is pretty obvious as it's written in bad English as "u iz hare" though strangley enough you also notice two other markings near the top near a place called Tallahassee and one on the east coast of the state near ft. Lauderdale, the one near ft. Lauderdale is a badly drawn skull and Tallahassee is just a simple circle. However that same circle is drawn over your current location.

For the record I had an image that I was going to use, but I had to tear down my desktop to move it from one room to another, and haven't set it back up yet. So can't get to it, hopefully the description gives you enough detail of what is going on.

Ramsus
2020-12-31, 11:56 PM
Human Scientist

After looking at the map Olivia replies, "Well, the most important thing it means is that the surface is habitable now and there are already people living here. I am surprised they made it here specifically, we're a good bit away from the mainland."

xanxosttheslaad
2021-01-01, 02:17 PM
"I suppose that's both good and bad news. Hopefully the surface dwellers have moved on and left behind some useful things, though I wouldn't count on it, looking at the state of this place. Regardless, we best be careful as we head up the ramp; the monsters IT brought in might be around here, not to mention hostile humans." He pauses, and looks around the room, at the others. "If there's nothing else of interest in here, now seems a good a time as any to surface and have a look around. We can always come back, if we happen to survive whatever's waiting for us up there."

CNFish
2021-01-01, 04:33 PM
As you near the exit of the bunker you can definitely sense the sea, you can hear the waves crashing into the banks up against other things. Its not a terrible current, but its also not calm.

Once outside the bunker you can take a look around, and notice the concrete buildings are in disarray, most are crumbling around themselves, and those that are standing look as if they are only doing so by pure luck. However you notice pre great war era vehicles litter the base, APCs are the most common, which are staged strategically along the coastline, some planes and helicopters near the center of the base which have been destroyed due to the years of aging caused by weather. The roads around the base arent in any better shape. But one thing is abundantly common.

You begin to notice large mounds pop up every 50 or so meters away from each other.

link to image, because I dont know how to get it displayed here.... (https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Q4qhq4ZP&id=2BBE7AFCA8B0778A358A3511FA5077080701EEBD&thid=OIP.Q4qhq4ZPQT9hAK7gGjqJXgAAAA&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.staticneo.com%2Fw%2Ffal lout%2Fthumb%2FMirelurk_Eggs.png%2F250px-Mirelurk_Eggs.png&exph=192&expw=250&q=mirelurk+egg+nest&simid=608014894037141458&ck=30A57DEDC66EFCA10AC397C117BC36D6&selectedindex=0&form=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0&vt=1&sim=11)

Beyond that you can't really tell much about the features of the base layout its obvious no one has been here for a long time.

You notice a sign that reads mess with an arrow pointing in that direction.

You can see a large tower jutting out of the ground near the center of where most of the destroyed aircraft reside. Out of all the buildings on the base, this one looks like its in the least terrible condition.

And the last thing noticeable, is a map of the army base itself. Its seemingly legible and the key for the buildings can be seen. Though due to the deterioration of the base itself its hard to make out the exact location of anything but a few key buildings, such as the "command post" on the far end of the base, as it is denoted by a larger icon than everything else.

2021-01-02, 09:20 AM
RT-44 is still booting up her database, but follows the others distractedly. Her chipped and faded paintjob looks like it was once intended to resemble a clown, but time has worn it down until there's just bits and pieces of the bright colors remaining.

Ramsus
2021-01-02, 01:17 PM
Human Scientist

"Well... we can't sit in here forever...." Olivia says and with some trepidation goes to move outside.

Once outside and she spots the mounds she stops in her tracks. After a moment of standing still she says, "I am going to investigate those...eggs? It may be best not to disturb them so perhaps don't follow me unless you're quite confident you can do so lightly and you think you'd be able to learn something from it."

And assuming nobody stops her, she does just that. Walking slowly and carefully as she approaches.

Stealth: [roll0]
Nature (I assume): [roll1]
If Investigation or Science are the more appropriate skills then it'd be the same bonus for Investigation and another +2 if Science.

xanxosttheslaad
2021-01-02, 03:10 PM
Frōdrick follows Olivia up the ramp, pulling out his sling and placing a stone in the pouch. When they first emerge, the outside is rather bright, and he can't see much. Upon adjusting the helmet and looking around, his body tenses up, as he finds himself in the antithesis of the narrow tunnels which had previously been his home. With the incomprehensibly immense sky and ocean presenting themselves, he feels indescribably puny and vulnerable.

I'd say seeing the outside world for the first time would count as extreme stresses.
[roll0]

An instant later, he sprints back into the bunker, where he takes a few moments to regain his composure. After a few slow, deep breaths, he walks calmly back outside. "My apologies. I don't know what came over me."

"I am going to investigate those...eggs?"

"I'll hang back for now and keep an eye out, then; yell if you need backup." Frōdrick picks up the stone from where he dropped it a minute earlier and puts it back in the pouch before slowly walking in another direction, flanking the nearest mound so that his ally does not block his shot if something hostile hatches.

Mark_Elderfire
2021-01-02, 04:06 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/15/03/cb/1503cb5a85f0088e69eef0b57dd14094.jpg
Leon Cosstain (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2363203)
Human Totem Barbarian
AC: 18 HP: 53/53
PP: 14 PIv: 10 PIs: 14

Leon heartily agrees that they should get a move on and he tightly grips his lead pipe in his hand, ready for anything. He tries his best to tread lightly, he's at least been able to scare some people from behind despite his large stature. He whispers to the group as they take in their surroundings, "If they are eggs who knows where the mama is at...That tower seems to be our best bet for shelter right now though. I can check it out, probably need that key but I can scale the tower if it doesn't just crumble apart that is."

Leon pockets the key and glances over the map quickly before slowly moving towards the central tower. He's actively looking for what might be the door but is already mentally preparing to toss a grappling hook up top.

Well he's definitely going to stealth his way through if he can, none of us know what could be lurking (hah!) around a corner. And I might as well roll for nature too if only to aid Olivia. Then rolling for Perception when Leon is closer to the tower.

Stealth: [roll0]
Nature: [roll1]
Perception: [roll2]

CNFish
2021-01-04, 11:09 AM
as Olivia and Leon approach the "eggs" nothing particular happens. the nest approached isnt large comparitively as you can look ahead to others and see they are larger in size.

Several eggs are laid in a sort of circle. (Gonna use olivias roll for science here.)

Through your years of tedious pre-war studies you remember faintly an article about aquatic sea creatures. the overall point of the article is lost in your mind but you distinctly remember the section on turtles, these eggs bear a faint semblance to the eggs in the article. though, they are considerably larger than youd expect them to be. it seems obvious to you that nearly a century of radiation would likely be behind these types of changes.

Leon, while being particularly stealthy, you dont notice anything other than that, yes they are eggs... large ones.. and there seems to be quite a lot of these nests.

Ramsus
2021-01-05, 12:48 AM
Human Scientist

Olivia will rejoin the others after inspecting the eggs and tell them, "They're certainly eggs. They somewhat resemble turtle eggs, though they're still quite large so I can't even guess at what other changes they might have gone through by this point. I would have cut one open to examine more thoroughly but.... there are an awful lot of them all here in one place which implies a likely-hood of parental guardians. Given how protective even normally docile animals are about their young, I think that's perhaps something best left to study after we're sure we won't be noticed doing it and perhaps when we're ready to leave this location in case we are anyways."

"Now I think we should check the Mess Hall first. There's a chance there may be some packaged food or beverages there that may still be in safe or at least acceptable condition. And I do think food and shelter should be our first priorities." she adds, though she's eyeing all those vehicles and idly wondering how much material can be salvaged from them or if perhaps they could even somehow get one in working condition.

2021-01-05, 01:28 AM
"We should check for whatever we can find. I don't expect we'll find too much though - military bases tend to either be occupied or overrun, picked clean by roving biker gangs...or whatever outlaw-types there are, based on the exact genre. Food and shelter take priority, but we should also keep an eye out for weaponry to defend ourselves against aforementioned outlaws." RT's eternally-cheery tone doesn't really match her words, but there's nothing to be done about that dissonance, especially given how there's more pertinent matters to deal with first.

xanxosttheslaad
2021-01-05, 08:42 AM
Frōdrick also walks back to the group, although he takes a bit more time to do so than Olivia. Although he overcame it, he panic he had experienced a minute earlier still influences him to an extent, compounding the typical fear that might be expected in someone exploring an alien world. As he walks back, he continuously glances over his shoulder, imagining every small sound from the ocean or the breeze to be hiding the noise of the approach of a monster like one of those so frequently brought in by IT. Frequently, his gaze is drawn to the sea, the sky, and the 'eggs', which seem to him the most alien aspects of the landscape. Some small comfort is drawn from the fact that Olivia approaching the pile did not result in her grisly demise, as he anticipated.
However, after hearing from Olivia that the egg piles that go as far as can be seen are indicative of the presence of larger creatures, his breathing speeds up slightly. He holds the sling in a lowered position, but still readied, with the thumb of his other hand pressed to the stone, keeping the strings taut. "Food and shelter would certainly be good. I happen to have some food and water on me already, so that's a bit less urgent, but if there are animals about, we need to find a place safe from them before letting down our guard to eat, rest, or sleep. The Mess sounds like as good a place as any to search first, though, as Leon said, that tower seems like it would be a good place for a longer-term shelter."

Mark_Elderfire
2021-01-06, 02:23 PM
Human Totem Barbarian

Leon catches up with the group as well, though not wanting to stop sneaking past the multitude of eggs surrounding the area. His limited knowledge of nature sure wasn't going to help them. These eggs were unlike any he had ever seen in his books.

"Well dinner always sounds like a good idea to me. But we do have an island of omelets it seems. If they're not rotten that is." His face twists into a cheeky grin as he says that. "I as well have a tiny bit of food; a couple carrots and a bottle of water I managed to snag on the way out. We'll check out the mess hall see what we can scavenge, then make our way to the tower. Hopefully we can get a decent sleep later."

As they make their way towards the mess hall stealthily, cutting between buildings and hiding behind any metal scrap that can cover them, Leon periodically looks to the sky. Last thing everyone would want is rain drenching them. Well except for RT he supposes.

How's the weather doing? Nature roll: [roll0]

CNFish
2021-01-09, 08:59 PM
so guess were going with a cover to cover approach. Mark was the only one to denote his preference. so he who speaks first.

the party begins to dart between destroyed buildings moving extremely slowly. as the party moves about the buildings they begin to see more and more of these egg nests, however, there doesnt seem to be anything around that would have laid the eggs themselves.

after a while of moving around and passing by several abandoned buildings. the party is at an impass the next building that they would have moved too is being blocked by debris, forcing the party into one of two paths. the path on the left leads through a destroyed building it looks as if it used to be a multi level domicile, though years of deterioration have reduced it to 3 levels, the rest of the building has fallen and created the rubble that is being used to block the path.

the path on the right, looks like it leads in the direction of the large tower.

xanxosttheslaad
2021-01-10, 01:32 PM
Looking at their options, Frōdrick whispers from the back of the group. "It looks like there's a path through that building on the left. I say we go that way, if we want to continue to stay out of open spaces." Awaiting their response, he remains in a crouched and alert position, his eyes darting around the dreadful open area to the right.

Ramsus
2021-01-11, 01:53 AM
Human Scientist

"I'd rather avoid the risk of the building collapsing the rest of the way down atop of us if we don't have any particular reason to go in there." Olivia counters.

xanxosttheslaad
2021-01-12, 09:40 PM
Frōdrick shudders at the prospect of taking the right path, but he stills himself, and puts on his cordial voice (although he is still trying to keep quiet as best he can). "Lead on, I follow. If you're sure you'd prefer to risk being seen in the clearing over braving the rubble, that is. I will say, I have a lot of experience with mining and tunnels and the like, and that building on the left looks very stable." Frōdrick, in fact, is much more comfortable in confined places like mines, and doesn't really share Olivia's fear of a collapse. His assessment of the building's integrity may or may not be legitimate, but he keeps that to himself. "What do the rest of you think?"

Mark_Elderfire
2021-01-14, 03:28 PM
Human Totem Barbarian

Leon looks to Frōdrick and gives him a light pat on the shoulder, "No need to worry friend. We make it across this area and we'll be able to keep track of most everything going on around us. We'll be all feel much more secure there I assume. Come, behind me."

Leon motions with his two left fingers towards the tower and takes point leading them into the unknown open area. He quickly takes a peak around before finally moving forward.

Trying to be on high alert as they move through. Even if that means I might roll low...
Perception: [roll0]

Oh, go figure lol